Will Ebay.ca remove the ability to list in US dollars sometime in the near future

After reading on the boards as well as some of the comments on the weekly board, how many sellers think this will become permanent as it is in all other countries? Only listing in Can dollars on the Canadian site.

Could be an interesting discussion

Message 1 of 89
latest reply
88 REPLIES 88

Will Ebay.ca remove the ability to list in US dollars sometime in the near future

Don't know why that would even be an issue.  If you are registered for HST, you charge the buyer on the total based on what they buy/their location.  What you pay on your expenses are irrelevant to the buyer, you claim it as an input credit.  The same as indigo or anywhere else would.  The buyer is buying a book, not postage

Message 41 of 89
latest reply

I don't charge tax to Canadian sales for two reasons, one I sell mostly used military, German & I found that my sales were allot higher with out charging tax and two I don't sell much to Canada any way and CRA don't care who pays the tax as long as it is paid at the end of the month.the same as refunds

Message 42 of 89
latest reply

maybe i am missing something but i am still not sure what the big deal is about listing in CAD.

if I am shopping around on .com all prices are in US dollars

so an item that I listed this week without noticing the listing currency change i listed at .99 Cents CAD is showing up on .com at .76 US

as long as we as sellers just make sure to adjust our listing prices it makes no difference really as it has always shown up in CAD on .ca and US dollars on .com

am i worried about  auction listings being listed at  1.31 CAD  starting  price on .ca  so that is shows up as  .99 on .com ...not really as i am more concerned about the achieved price at auction end

Smiley Very Happy

Message 43 of 89
latest reply

Just remember, it will only calculate shipping discounts on the currency you set up under preferences. If you have 2 different currencies, it will give you issues with multiple purchases.

Message 44 of 89
latest reply

If I sold anything other than books,  It would be a single table for GST/ HST for all provinces in Canada...

As a seller  of` books I must make an adjustment where   HST = 5 % for books shipped to  Ontario, New Brunswick Newfoundland, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island... while HST varies  13 %, 14 % or 15 % among these provinces when applied to shipping.

With one further adjustment... All lettermail from Manitoba is GST = 5%.

I am forced to state GST and HST are included in the price of the item  and shipping for all parcels, and including lettermail.

I would like to invoice tax separately in all situations.

As  it is right now eBay collects about $90 US on GST and HST on purchases each year.

It may not sound like much... but after 5 years  that is about $450.... and doubled in 5 more years...

Free shipping ... shipping included in the price.....is not an option ... when `the weight of a book is usually over 500 grams, and sometimes much higher...

Reduced shipping cost with a multiple purchase is a lot better option for buyers  than free shipping/shipping included ... on one book

Free shipping/shipping included would make my books look too expensive 

All of the intricacies in relation to GST and HST are fully known..... and applied appropriates.

But it is that extra $80 eBay gets from me each year...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are many things happening on eBay...It appears that they will not be adjusted....for Canadian sellers 

I have lived with selling in US dollars...... I can only list on eBay.ca because of the shipping cap for books on eBay.com.

In 2013.... My sales to the US were 20 % of total sales.

Today it is 38 % of total sales.....partly because US buyers have adjusted `to the cost of postage in relation to what I sell.

and... now I benefit from the exchange rate which is about $1.30 Canadian dollar  = $1.00 US dollar

My prices in US dollars = Canadian dollars  in 2013  have been adjusted such that my price from two years ago  in US dollars is my Canadian dollars price today, while my US prices have been adjust down. 

------------------------------------------------------------------- 

One advantage to listing in Canadian dollars would be that there would be an automatic adjustment in the associated price in US dollars.....

Would I do better if I listed in Canadian dollars?....  Let me think about this.....

and if I must list in Canadian dollars on eBay.ca ..... would I have to revise each and every one of my listings individually  or can I use Bulk Edit option... and then what time frame.....

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Would be accept listing only in Canadian dollars on eBay.ca  if   all of the concerns by Canadian sellers were corrected?

Message 45 of 89
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I don't know when you switched to listing in U.S. but I'm sure that it was a while ago and there could have been other factors involved that made a difference in your sales. For all you know that may have changed now so in order for any of us to know for sure if it would affect our sales, I think that we would have to do some controlled tests.  To say that "the only way Canadian sellers will really be able to make a profit (if you sell largely to the U.S.) will be to list on .com." is an assumption at this point. 

When an American is shopping on .com and seeing all prices in U.S. $ I really wonder if they even think twice about the currency that the item is listed in or if they just go ahead and buy the item. Perhaps they do but I don't think that there is any proof that the listing currency is a factor in whether or not they purchase the item.

Well I think the "proof" (for what it's worth, and as far as it can be believed) was the fact that until just recently, eBay had been telling us that listing in $US had been shown to increase sales by 15%.  It certainly did more than that for me, although I switched about 4 years ago.  Still, eBay never did repudiate that 15% sales increase claim until they needed to make sure there was no contradiction with the 'new' claim (for what that is worth) that listing in $Cdn is better for us, or at least no worse.  

My point in that regard is that if it's better or neutral, how do we know which of us will be which?  If I switch to listing in $Cdn I may find out the effect is "neutral" or it may well be worse (you'll recall that a week after making the original statement saying all Canadians would see a better or neutral result, Raphael qualified it to say that well, it may or may not apply depending on the particular Canadian seller.  So, which is it?).  

If it is "neutral", what's the point in switching from a currency that I know the vast majority of my buyers are comfortable with and that I'm able to list in?  I don't have items that would particularly appeal to Canadians.  Why would I experiment with listing in $Cdn if the result might well be worse than neutral?  Simply to see if I can lose U.S. sales over a test period?  

I'm really not willing to shoot myself in the foot just yet.  EBay may do that to me soon enough, and then I suppose I'll be forced to list on .com to be able to list in $US.  Which may be exactly what they hope to achieve -- move a lot of us Canadians to eBay.com.  The really interesting question in this is ... why?  I can think of a number of motives, but perhaps they may be tired of accommodating us with more choices than everybody in the U.S. gets. 

Message 46 of 89
latest reply

I have always listed in USD, due to ebay saying, there is a better chance of a sale if you do.

Some of my recent sell similar listings did list in Canadian Dollars, I was able to catch a few but not all.

Does that mean that the listings in USD are on .com, and the CDN ones are only on .ca? Or are they on both?

What is strange, when it comes to my automotive listings, according to ebay, for me, domestic shipping is USA, (I live in Burnaby BC) and they qualified for GSP. I also did not have to correct the USD currency, as they think I am a US seller.

Not on topic, but when I change a listing from FP- Auction, and change the duration from 7 day to 10 day, I have to do it twice, as the first time, it changes back to 7 days. Must be a glitch.  

Message 47 of 89
latest reply

I don't get how people selling in USD effects anyone ,  why would they take out U.S dollars is there an actual reason given why. Oh thanks @pierr makes sense to simplify things but how confused are people it just converts for them maybe they think there paying less then they see more after they see conversion rate. 

Message 48 of 89
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

How many Canadian sellers will lose TRS status as a result.

If we list on .com, no tracking in a lot of cases, no TRS either

This is a good point, and could very well be at least one reason eBay is slowly planning to "herd" more Canadians onto .com.  

In other words, make it a choice between the lesser of two evils for Canadians who sell primarily to U.S. buyers -- either risk losing sales by listing in $Cdn on .ca, or lose your TRS and go to .com where you'll never be able to afford tracking for all shipments.  I personally would probably choose to continue to sell in $US, the currency I know works for my customers and my business.  Meanwhile, eBay saves a bundle on TRS discounts they don't have to pay. 

Listing in $Cdn will be better or neutral for most Canadian sellers?  Sorry eBay, but I just don't buy it!

Message 49 of 89
latest reply

baffled how anyonr could take from this "they want people to lsit on .com", let alone it having anything to do with TRS that to date has had nothing to do with listing site (its buyer location).  If they want to take away the trs discount they'll just announce its over.

Message 50 of 89
latest reply

@toby**bleep**zu wrote:

baffled how anyonr could take from this "they want people to lsit on .com", let alone it having anything to do with TRS that to date has had nothing to do with listing site (its buyer location).  If they want to take away the trs discount they'll just announce its over.

Well, it remains to be seen, but I'd wager that this quiet leveraging of defaulting to $Cdn that has just started will ultimately end with Canadians being given a choice between migrating fully to .com (i.e. making buyer location irrelevant for Canadians who are on .com) or staying on .ca, keeping their TRS and listing in $Cdn for those who think they can still make money that way.  

I doubt very much that eBay would ever openly announce the end of the very popular TRS programme if they can just push a lot of Canadians into moving over and abandoning it.  Why make a fuss if you can do it silently? 

Message 51 of 89
latest reply

"Sorry eBay, but I just don't buy it!"

That comment clearly illustrates how you and many other Canadian sellers feel.  It is most unfortunate.  Somehow, eBay seems to have lost whatever credibility they may have enjoyed at one time. That loss of confidence affects everyone.

Personally I believe eBay.ca is correct in its new understanding that listing on eBay.ca in Cdn$ by Canadian sellers (instead of US$) will generally not be detrimental; it may be beneficial in some instances.  And that belief is based on my own experiences both on eBay and elsewhere. 

But how I feel is largely irrelevant if so many Canadian sellers do not believe eBay.ca and no longer trust the advise given ny its staff and management.

I wish folks were less negative about the forthcoming changes and look at facts only instead of assuming this and that but... we all know that is not happening.

Message 52 of 89
latest reply

There are a number of reasons for preferring to list in .ca including the shipping options shown, calculated shipping etc.

Listing on .ca in Canadian dollars will be a major pain for sellers with large inventories that purchase inventory in US dollars since changing exchange rates will necessitate changing the listing prices. If eBay does introduce Canadian dollar only listings on .ca it should include a tool that would adjust the listing price in Canadian dollars to the current equivalent of an initially selected US dollar amount on each GTC relisting.

Message 53 of 89
latest reply

The last few days have made me look at what I  will have to do to change all of my listings from US dollars to Canadian dollars  and continue to list on eBay Canada.

I cannot go to eBay.com... For books they have a cap on postage.... based on USPS media mail...  and Canada Post values for postage cannot be used.

I have looked at options.

(1) changing from US dollars  to Canadian dollars on eBay.... not possible  using revise.... or Bulk Edit

If that was possible.... a single flick of a switch.... then I would revise prices and shipping to show Canadian dollar values...

(2) It is possible to change to Canadian dollars on Turbolister (TL)

Import  listings to TL ...flick the switch  on each listing.....  revise US $ to Canadian dollars  for  prices and shipping....

Import all listings to TL .....revise and then add to the store on eBay over a 30 day period

--------------------------------------------------------------

IF the exchange rate was an equality... or close to equality, US to Canadian dollars........  then a flick of a switch for all  listings on eBay Canada would work.... and then revise if necessary

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Today's exchange rate is such that if my listings were changed to Canadian dollars I would be down in value for pricing of items for sale  and for shipping cost.   

Flick the US to Canadian dollar switch.....Put the store on vacation and Bulk Edit  price  and then postage.... two afternoons of revision.

------------------------------------------------------------------

If the transition from US- Canadian  dollars to Canadian dollars only occurs  it must be done carefully

Message 54 of 89
latest reply

I used to list on eBay.com.

When the shipping cap for books was introduced (September  of 2008, if I remember correctly)  

(1) All of my listings were imported to TL.... 

(2) My store was moved from eBay.com to eBay.ca

(3) Each listing had to be edited... individually on TL... and then the complete set of listings were uploaded to the store on eBay.ca over a 30 day period.

and today I have three times the number of listings I had when I moved my listings to eBay Canada.

Message 55 of 89
latest reply

"If the transition from US- Canadian  dollars to Canadian dollars only occurs  it must be done carefully"

I totally agree with you.  When eBay.ca switch to a single currency (Cdn$) it will be very time consuming for many Canadian sellers to adjust their listings.  This is why I expect it will be quite a while before implementation takes place.  Canadian sellers should and will be given plenty of time to adjust.

Let's look at a worst case basis where bulk tools cannot be used.  If a seller has 1,000 listings that need to be converted, one at the time, starting with unsold listings and using "sell similar", it would take about 30 seconds per listing to:

1) click "sell similar"

2) change currency from US$ to Cdn$

3) Change price to reflect whatever conversion factor a seller wants to use.  For example, if PayPal currently gives the seller Cdn$ 1.27 for every US$1.00 collected, the seller could simply use the US$ price and multiply by 1.27 or a seller may want to lower prices a bit since the item had not sold and maybe use 1.25 or even 1.2 to make the price a bit more attractive to potential buyers

4) submit

That whole operation takes about 30 seconds.  OK, the seller uses a slow computer and is still on dial-up. Let's allow one full minute per listings.  One could relist 60 listings an hour after switching currency and adjusting prices. For a large seller, that would be 15 hours to do 1,000 listings.

If the work is spread over several months, it will be a real pain but... doable.

Many years ago, I remember having to adjust every listing in my store, including changes to my descriptions and shipping terms.  I had 4,000 listings at the time and spent most of one month to complete the task, one at the time.  Yes it was painful but... it got done.

So, maybe some sellers should start thinking about it now.

Message 56 of 89
latest reply

@mytoysgottago wrote:

the CAD default listing currency kinda surprised  me this week and I didn't notice had to go change some items prices that  I have listed as free shipping all except for one item which already had a bid on it.

even if i go list a similar item the default currency gets changed back to CAD.

just something new to get used to.

Just listed a few new items today and did not notice the automatic change in currency. Which is strange, because I selected "sell similar". Sell similar for me = same currency. I did not realise eBay changed the currency* until I had 3 items listed. Tried to revise them, but it would not let me change the currency. 😞  I had to end these listings and start over. As a result, I lost 3 free listings! So frustrating!!

*They also deleted the weight. I had to include it again on EVERY listing I made. GRRRRRRR

Message 57 of 89
latest reply

They really should give some work of heads up about the change because everything else stays the same and it would be easy to miss.

I'm surprised they did it that way because when they did that with the upc codes they received a lot of flak and ended up

changing it so that the UPC codes did stay when sell similar was used.

Message 58 of 89
latest reply

Spreading the adjustment over several months...  not the best approach 

Some listings in US dollars and other listings in Canadian dollars...

A multiple purchase,  combining items in  US and Canadian dollars  just will not work.... not easy

The easiest option for a seller like me.......

-----------------------------

eBay asks.... Do you accept that all of your listings are now expressed in Canadian dollars.

If you answer .......YES.... All prices... item and shipping ... all listings...are now expressed in Canadian dollars 

----------------------------------------------

The store is put on vacation for a few days.... and Bulk edit... adjust everything in relation to the exchange rate..

Day 1... Revise prices....  three hours.

Day 2.... Revise postage ... three hours.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

With Bulk Edit   every postage increase, January of each year was completed in one afternoon... approximately three hours for about 3500 listings.

3500 listings... 3500 minutes...  60 hours  .... 24 hours a day..... 2.5 days in total..... 

-----------------------------------------------

The main advantage with listings in Canadian dollars.....  Canadian prices are fixed.... US prices change in relation to the exchange rate....as exchange rate  varies from day-to-day

Message 59 of 89
latest reply

You can use TL to bulk edit currency (top right corner of screen)  then use inline editing to change prices if you want to.

You may also want to change shipping as it will also be adjusted to Can currency and you will probably be shorting yourself. Unless everything is free) That can also be done on TL in bulk

It will make the task a whole lot less painful.

Just remember if you do list on .com and .ca in US currency at this time and change Canada to Canadian currency, it will mess up your combined shipping on the Canadian or US listings depending on which currency you have set up under preferences as you can only pick 1.

Message 60 of 89
latest reply