Will Ebay.ca remove the ability to list in US dollars sometime in the near future

After reading on the boards as well as some of the comments on the weekly board, how many sellers think this will become permanent as it is in all other countries? Only listing in Can dollars on the Canadian site.

Could be an interesting discussion

Message 1 of 89
latest reply
88 REPLIES 88

Will Ebay.ca remove the ability to list in US dollars sometime in the near future

I have checked on TL ... change the pricing from US to Canada....  and the numbers do not change in the listing...

Then adjust the prices and shipping cost.... for one listing 

The critical factor with TL is importing listings....

TL has a few other problems.... that prevent a quick revision of listings....

Message 61 of 89
latest reply

Forgot, I have not tried it with live listings yet

Message 62 of 89
latest reply

Recently tried to import all of my listings from eBay to TL.... Not all listings were imported.

Tried to view items on-line from TL today.....  not allowed  to view my listings on-line, because I did not subscribe to Selling Manager

Today I use Selling Manager Pro ? ? ? with an Anchor Store

So much for the left hand knowing what the right hand is doing....

Message 63 of 89
latest reply

You can change the currency in bulk, I just tried it, and price and shipping charges will change to $C but numbers themselves will not change. I use flat rate shipping so I can also change all of the shipping amounts  in bulk. The actual price of the item will have to be changed individually but I believe it can be done with inline editing so you don't have to open each iterm.

If you have all different items and all different shipping methods and amounts, it will be tedious as everything will have to be changed 1 at a time.

Message 64 of 89
latest reply

To enable in line editing, go to tools and click enable on line editing, go to your list of items in either items or waiting to upload, and double click on each price, change, go to the next one and do the same. It probably won't let you play with live listings but anything in items or waiting to upload should work fine.

If they are in unsold, highlight all of them and drag them to items and it will work fine

Message 65 of 89
latest reply

Unable to change currency from US dollars to Canadian dollars with the attempted revision of one listing on eBay 

If I could do so,  a Bulk Edit could be completed for this one revision ... on many listings with each revision and then other revisions will follow.

Bulk Edit  by a seller

(1)  Currency to be used in each listing, change  US dollars to Canadian dollars  

or edit this  for all listings.... and then proceed

(2) Edit Price of the item

(3) Edit Postage...

Message 66 of 89
latest reply

I would rather not use Turbolister.

Bulk edit on eBay is a much better option to revise  listings.

Message 67 of 89
latest reply

I don't believe you can use edit for currency on live listings. When they are live, there are a lot of restrictions as to what you can edit.

Message 68 of 89
latest reply

Did you sync TL

Message 69 of 89
latest reply

Cannot edit currency on listings.

One question for a seller  ...  Do you accept the conversion of the currency of all active listings on eBay?

And then the rest will be easy after my store is put on vacation...

One question  and at best a total of 6 hours revision  three hours for price... and then three hours for postage... 

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I will think about synchronizing on TL and adjusting accordingly.

If one can synchronize TL to live listings  and change currency on all listings at once... that would work..... followed by a Bulk Edit on live listings on eBay.... and with the store on vacation.....

Message 70 of 89
latest reply

Do you accept the conversion of the currency of all active listings on eBay?

Where is this found?

Message 71 of 89
latest reply

The question is not on eBay...

But what if it were there, as a part of the revision process to change fro US to Canadian dollars.

It was just a thought....

---------------------------------------------------------

We can adjust the selling currency on one listing on TL.

Maybe we can synchronize TL  with all live listings ... adjust the currency from US dollars to Canadian dollars.. on those live listings 

and then .....Go back to eBay and  Bulk Edit live  listings for  price and postage on eBay  

------------------------------------------------------------

I trust Bulk Edit  on eBay  more than anything on TL...

-------------------------------------------------------------

All of my listings on books  can be ranged.....

Highest to lowest for item price,  and highest to lowest for shipping within Canada...

Pricing for postage is in relation to the weight of the book... which changes every 0.5 kg

The ability to range listings from highest to lowest makes a bulk Edit option easy on eBay

Message 72 of 89
latest reply

I have not tried bulk on TL live listings as I list on .com and .ca and it will make a mess of my combined shipping discounts.

Ebay should let you change whatever you want unless it is an auction and you have a bid. It is your product and your listing so anything should be changeable and in bulk. But then Ebay would need some intelligent programmers.

Message 73 of 89
latest reply

intelligent programmers.

or

People who can figure how to use something from several  sources to achieve an acceptable  end-result.

Message 74 of 89
latest reply

More examination of TL

Edit mode on TL

One can edit things on TL that can be edited on eBay directly.

Currency... Changing US to Canadian ... cannot be edited on eBay... Therefore this cannot be edited on TL.

So much for using TL to change the currency... US to Canadian ...  on a live listing on eBay.....

Must try this option someday... if only to confirm... Yes ... or No... can or cannot be used...

Message 75 of 89
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

I wish folks were less negative about the forthcoming changes and look at facts only instead of assuming this and that but... we all know that is not happening.

I really had to smile at this comment.  

Do you honestly believe everything that comes out of the mouths of eBay reps with respect to motives and explanations?  Do you believe that the changes they make to selling on .ca always have Canadian sellers' best interests in mind?  

I seem to recall you were recently lamenting the fact that today's eBay is focused on feeding the greed of its shareholders.  Which means major decisions like this (and it is a major decision) may quite possibly have motives other than primarily assisting sellers in doing better.  It could easily be nothing more than a cost-cutting measure, regardless of the effects on Canadian sellers.  We all need to open our eyes and be less naive and gullible, in my opinion.  

I'm actually not being negative at all, but cautious with a dash of self-preservation.  I prefer to try to look behind the curtain and read between the lines when eBay makes its usual blanket pronouncements about what will and won't benefit us.  They've never, ever shared the data behind those pronouncements that I can recall, and until they do, I will remain skeptical.  One can say anything if the facts behind it aren't available openly.

I'm a realist now where eBay is concerned, not a blind optimist.  

With all due respect to your success on eBay, your type of business doesn't represent any sort of "norm".  The fact that listing in $Cdn works for you and your category of items or market, doesn't mean it will be at all beneficial (or even neutral) for others, and in fact may be very detrimental.  I would have thought that was a fundamental tenet of selling on eBay -- as you've said many times, every seller's experience will differ.  

Message 76 of 89
latest reply

I just looked at some of these comments.  It states that it would be 2016 or 2017 to implement.  If this is the case why is it defaulting my USD listings to CA.  I didn`t realize it until I sold an item and they paid for it in Canadian funds.  After I checked my other listings I found that some are USD and others CA.  What is that all about!!!!  I am a Canadian seller but it would be nice to be given a choice.

Message 77 of 89
latest reply

Canadian sellers are given the choice:

You can list on eBay.com in US$

or you can list on eBay.ca in either US$ or Cdn$

However, if using "relist" or "sell similar" make sure to check the currency of the listing.  The system is currently (for the last several months) programmed to default to Cdn$, regardless if a seller was using US$ or Cdn$ previously.

Finally, make sure - once again - of the currency of the listing prior to clicking "submit".

Message 78 of 89
latest reply

I wasn't happy about eBay's another power took over and decide "for" us by changing the currency from US to Canadian in my listings last month.

When I relisted them, I changed them to US and BINGO, I sold 12 items in a week, all those were listed in Canadian currency by eBay month last month until I relisted them with US currency.  Apparently eBay hurt our business by switching to Canadian from US!! 

I believe that we the ones that should decide which currency to use.  As for myself I sold lots of items to USA, about 95%.  Note I live in Canada and use the US id username for the purpose for the pick up in Grand Forks when I was able to go there often ever month.

eBay butt out and let us choose the choice of currency!  Thanks.

Message 79 of 89
latest reply

One of my concerns is I list on both .com and .ca and have flat rate shipping and discounts set up.

The discount is only good for one currency which means either my .ca combined is down the toilet or the combined on .com is down the toilet.

It would ruin the ability to list on both sites with double the listings with a store, 500 as opposed to 250 and would, prevent me from splitting up what I sell on each site.

It would also start getting expensive with the exchange rates and conversion fees depending on if I transfer to my Canadian Bank or US Bank.

My guess is they are going to say list on .ca in Can dollars, list on .com in US dollars and tuff as a seller.

They may also take away the privilege of being able to double list and getting the TRS discount on what is listed on .com as well as .ca right now.

I am not holding my breath for what may happen in the future but my guess is no good for us Canucks

Message 80 of 89
latest reply