Will others sell for me on ebay?

Hello.  A few years back when I was confined to bed, I purchased many items in the way of semi-precious and costume jewellery from various ebay sellers.  I ended up with a lot of items and when I was feeling better, my intent was to start selling in a big way.  I since had another situation where I cannot stand for long periods of time and therefore selling was basically all on me and when I was feeling up to having many people come to my home instead of a general area where others were selling items.  I was uncomfortable with this not to mention the work involved.  I would like to know if there is a way for me to contact another person who sells items such as the ones I have an abundance of and ask them if, for a FEE, they might be interested in receiving some of my pieces to sell on their ebay site.  I was told I could only sell up to $1,000 for the first month and this isn't going to work for me and I'm not at liberty to meet up with people who do these listings where you meet up with the buyers and exchange merchandise in person for money as I cannot drive on most days.  Can anyone offer some advise for what I should do and what guidelines I should follow in reaching out to a seller on ebay to approach them with this idea.  I would really appreciate the assistance.  I don't want to do anything on ebay that might put me in an awkward position with anyone in charge.  Thanks so much for any advise you can issue to me.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

I'm sure a reputable member would do it, but fee's are about 20% just to sell.
I would not let strangers come in house 'too dangerous ie Craig's,Kijji.
sometimes reputable coin dealers buy at fair price and safer and instant payment no fee.Auction house could work also...... But see no rules broken who sells.
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

They are called Trading Assistants and there are not many around any more.

In addition to the 20% for eBay/Paypal fees, expect to pay 20-40% to the TA for her efforts-- and there will be efforts.

The TA would also expect to have the items in her hands so she can control shipping, photography, etc.

So of the selling price you might get 40% for your bling.

Look in the Yellow Pages (paper) for a jewelry store that sells Estate Jewelry. You may be able to sell it on consignment.

Then cross-check those companies with your local Better Business Bureau. (Which is a private, franchised business owner's co-op and not any sort of NGO.)

If any of the 'semi-precious' pieces are set in gold or silver the jeweler may make a cash offer.

Frankly, take it. Less to worry about and you turned something you don't want into something you do want: money.

Don't expect to make anything on selling your items. You were buying at close to retail and you will be selling at wholesale. The markup on jewelry is huge, upwards of 400% is a normal markup.

You will need to find a driver to take you to your appointment. This could be a relation or your home care worker if she drives.

You will be asked to stay during the appraisal. This is for the merchant's security, not yours.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I might be interested in buying your inventory.  Please contact me.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

As a seller, I buy at $7 on my retail $100. I need that amount to pay for my car, office, computer, internet, supplies, time, effort, overhead.

The faster the flip, the more I can pay.

The higher the value and the faster the flip, the more I can pay.

If I have to sit on the inventory or the listings, the less I will pay. I would never sell inventory I do not 100% control over.

Just using the word jewelry, there are 5 million listings. You are waaaaay better off selling en mass than piecing it out. Like Femme says, you have paid the markup. You bought retail, now sell at wholesale, minus expenses. 10¢ on the dollar sounds about right.

No, I do not want your stuff. I sell car parts.

Photobucket
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:

As a seller, I buy at $7 on my retail $100. I need that amount to pay for my car, office, computer, internet, supplies, time, effort, overhead.

The faster the flip, the more I can pay.

The higher the value and the faster the flip, the more I can pay.

If I have to sit on the inventory or the listings, the less I will pay. I would never sell inventory I do not 100% control over.

Just using the word jewelry, there are 5 million listings. You are waaaaay better off selling en mass than piecing it out. Like Femme says, you have paid the markup. You bought retail, now sell at wholesale, minus expenses. 10¢ on the dollar sounds about right.

No, I do not want your stuff. I sell car parts.

Duh!  Mr. Elmwood, what are you saying to me?  I never offered to sell you anything (why would I?).  I expressed interest in buying OP's inventory.  

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

They are called Trading Assistants and there are not many around any more.

In addition to the 20% for eBay/Paypal fees, expect to pay 20-40% to the TA for her efforts-- and there will be efforts.

The TA would also expect to have the items in her hands so she can control shipping, photography, etc.

So of the selling price you might get 40% for your bling.

Look in the Yellow Pages (paper) for a jewelry store that sells Estate Jewelry. You may be able to sell it on consignment.

Then cross-check those companies with your local Better Business Bureau. (Which is a private, franchised business owner's co-op and not any sort of NGO.)

If any of the 'semi-precious' pieces are set in gold or silver the jeweler may make a cash offer.

Frankly, take it. Less to worry about and you turned something you don't want into something you do want: money.

Don't expect to make anything on selling your items. You were buying at close to retail and you will be selling at wholesale. The markup on jewelry is huge, upwards of 400% is a normal markup.

You will need to find a driver to take you to your appointment. This could be a relation or your home care worker if she drives.

You will be asked to stay during the appraisal. This is for the merchant's security, not yours.

She purchased from eBay sellers and not retail.  She  did not say what kind of jewelry it is.  Your advice......well, let me just say, its way off mark.  

Message 7 of 7
latest reply