Would a GSP program for seller in Canada be helpful?

GSP is currently an eBay.com USA seller program. It is coming to eBay UK.

What if it came to eBay.ca Canada? Would it help a Canadian seller?

Shipping rates outside of Canada to the USA and world are very high using Canada Post. For items under 1 kg, Small Packet Air can be used but no tracking and no insurance and the rate is high when you get to 1 kg packages. Tracked Packet offers the insurance and tracking to some countries but rates are very high. Over 1 kg, then you have to use Xpresspost or International Parcel Air and rates are very high.

If GSP was offered to Canadian sellers, a seller in most locations in Canada could ship items using Expedited Parcel to a shipping center in a central location (Toronto most likely) with PayPal shipping discount for under $20 for 2-3 kg. The buyer would be paying the GSP shipping cost out of country and most likely it would be cheaper than shipping direct using Canada Post high rates.

Buyer would have to pay duty (most likely not applicable) and sales tax (VAT).

Adding up all of the charges for GSP method to the buyer and GSP might be cheaper for the buyer???

It seems to me that a Canadian GSP might be a reasonable option for Canadian sellers.

Shipping to the USA might even be cheaper for heavy bulky items since their duty exemption is $200. Europe has lower duty exemption of 23 euro or so.

Comments and thoughts?

To the forum moderators: Do not merge with the two mega topics on the GSP. This is about a Canadian seller GSP program, not the existing eBay.com USA GSP program.

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

@gifts_of_elegance wrote:

Read up on Global Shipping Program.  You obviously don't understand the concept.  My the Almighty save and protect us from such a program!

I do understand the concept of the GSP. I do think if used properly (not for low priced items or small items) it would increase international sales for some Canadian sellers. Contrary to what you and others may say, I have thought about a GSP Canada option. It would allow me to sell internationally some items that are higher priced and heavier.

It would not be needed for shipping to the USA but it may be advantageous for shipping to the rest of the world. Look at the prices for Tracked Packet International to Europe and Australia. Very high prices.

Of course, Canadian sellers would have to be careful which item are selected for GSP. And monitor eBay so they do not opt everything in.

Most Canadian buyers see only the negative aspects of buying using the GSP from the USA. Canadian sellers need to look at the GSP to see if it would work for some of their items.

A Canadian seller would just be responsible to get their item to a GSP center in the Toronto area (I assume Toronto is ideal central location with good freight reshipping options to Europe or Australia). The seller cost for most items would be $10 to $20 Expedited Parcel to Toronto with Delivery Confirmation. Then no responsibility for the international portion. Otherwise the seller has to use Tracked Packet international for delivery confirmation at $40 to $70 Can.

Of course a seller can use Small Packet International at a lower cost but then the seller has to self insure or buy 3rd party insurance if available.

Again, a GSP for eBay Canada would be for International destinations outside of USA.

Message 21 of 31
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

No way I don't want eBay to "sneak" in GSP in my listings like they do with US sellers!  I am a Canadian seller and have seen many US sellers claiming that they NEVER opt in GSP in the first place.

What they don't realize is that when they agreed to the agreement (naturally many of them don't read it) and they had to agreed it or they cannot relist or post any listing until they agreed and that is WHEN eBay "sneak" in  GSP into their listings.

I don't want a hassle in that area.

And what more with GSP, they don't ALLOW combined shipping, PERIOD!  I bought 3 photos and the invoice came with $23.81 to ship 3 small photos!!  I asked the seller if he would just send me the PayPal invoice instead and he was shocked with $23.81 as he didn't know that he has GSP in his listings!!  That is what is all the problems with GSP and why is eBay continue to ram GSP to many US sellers when there are so much problems with GSP and especially it don't allow combined shipping at all!

Another thing I see some fantastic deals like for 99 cents but the shipping is $15.50 each, so if I bid and won 10 items, I would have to pay $150.50 for shipping for 10 items!!  That is where GSP is being insane!

Why is eBay not doing anything about allowing combined shipping with GSP?   Can Kelvin answer that?

Message 22 of 31
latest reply

Hi everyone,

I'd like to keep this topic separate from the two large GSP topics. In order to do this, I need everyone to keep on-topic and anything else related to the US GSP will need to be posted in one of the following threads:

Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Questions about the Global Shipping Program

Additional posts not relating to the original topic may result in the thread being locked.

Thank you

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 23 of 31
latest reply

And one of the advantages for US sellers is that they only have to think about USPS shipping rates to KY as an out of pocket expense.

Canadians are dealing with CPO rates, which are much higher especially since the GSP demands that sellers use a Confirmed Delivery service.

Message 24 of 31
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

And one of the advantages for US sellers is that they only have to think about USPS shipping rates to KY as an out of pocket expense.

Canadians are dealing with CPO rates, which are much higher especially since the GSP demands that sellers use a Confirmed Delivery service.

As I said in post 21, Expedited Parcel with DC from most places in Canada to Toronto using PayPal shipping would be $10 to $20 for 0.75 to 3-4 kg. Once there, the Canadian seller is not responsible for the GSP international shipping cost or delivery.

To use Tracked Packet International directly for a DC service is in the $40 to $70 range.

For some items (expensive or heavy), A GSP Canada option might be a good option. The buyer would be paying in the same total as Tracked Packet International directly or a little more.

Since GSP USA is apparently increasing international sales for some USA sellers, it might do the same for some Canadian sellers who ship only to Canada and the USA because of the high cost of international shipping and a fear of INR claims. I know that most Canadian sellers know how to ship internationally unlike many USA sellers.

I know the GSP program has many flaws with no combined shipping, poor repacking of items leading to damage, higher costs to the buyers (who should be able to see the costs in the listings before buying), longer delivery times, duty and sales taxes added when received, no official receipts for the duty and taxes paid.

Like the USA GSP program, a Canadian seller would have to know when and where to use the GSP program for their items to get the most use of the program. As someone mentioned earlier, it is unlikely to happen because there are just not enough Canadian sellers to justify a GSP Canada program.

What is attractive about the GSP is the relatively low domestic shipping cost to Toronto ($10-$20) and then much less responsibility in the rest of the shipping internationally. If an international buyer bought the item knowing (hopefully) the costs, then the Canadian seller is doing nothing wrong by using it.

Message 25 of 31
latest reply

"Would a GSP program for seller in Canada be helpful?"

Yes, it could be helpful for many overseas transactions where shipping costs through Canada are too high.

However, it will not happen since the volume of business is not there.

It is profitable for Pitney Bowes from the USA because of the large volume being handled daily.

From Canada, excluding Letterpost, Light Packet and Small Packets and shipments to the USA, the volume would be a very small fraction, not worth it for Pitmey Bowes or any consolidator.  Also keep in mind that the cost of shipping a parcel domestically to a central warehouse in Toronto for overseas redistribution is much higher than for American sellers within the USA.

Message 26 of 31
latest reply

the cost of shipping a parcel domestically to a central warehouse in Toronto for overseas redistribution is much higher

That would be a significant chunk of change. $8-$15 on most parcels.

Photobucket
Message 27 of 31
latest reply

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!

It is not working in the US, and is an abysmal mess, bordering on fraudulent charges by PB. Why would it be any different here!?

One does not simply buy. One eBays!
Message 28 of 31
latest reply

I know an electronics retailer I just PM'd who just moved his business into the GTA who sells on Newegg(formerly was on E-Bay). He told me the single reason he did so was because of the exorbitant cross border shipping charges. Thankfully he's back on track now.

Also offers local pick-up ... WooHoo

Message 29 of 31
latest reply

Sea Can shipping...some shippers will make you wait until they have enough orders to fill the sucker before they even ship it. A lot of thumb twiddling followed by a monster shipping tab...

Message 30 of 31
latest reply

I say no.

The reason being that the GSP adopted in the US makes international consumers less likely to purchase from the US, because the US listing now states the local sales tax you will have to pay.    The potential buyer sees the mail cost, and a large customs fee, plus a notice saying their will be no further charges!

All they really see is a huge extra cost over the buy price.

The ultimate cost might be as stated by ebay, but without the GSP, the buyer doesnt have to contemplate the local tax until delivery (after the decision to purchase) - this is akin to paying by installments, or all at once.    The former is more likely to result in a transaction.

What Canadian sellers really need is a competative means of shipping internationally - ie the same cost other Countries charge to ship here.

Message 31 of 31
latest reply