buy canadian promo

I got this from ebay on the 8th of September- has anyone seen anything on ebay's site addressing this?

The Canada Post uncertainty made it a tough summer for many sellers. But with that behind us, it’s time to start listing the great inventory buyers are looking for.

To highlight your great Canadian inventory, eBay will launch a “Buy Canadian” event on September 19th.

Message 1 of 99
latest reply
98 REPLIES 98

buy canadian promo

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Oh, you mean because the seller is located in China but says they ship from Montreal.

The location in Canada was the only criteria for this Buy Canadian Promo.

And a seller will get into hot water for misrepresenting Item Location, not to mention there would be problems with Late Shipment Defects potentially. 

Indeed.  I notice that seller is now NARU, but has linked one item to a new/alterate ID, selling inflatable chairs shipping (of course) from Hong Kong.  Probably figured he'd rack up a few dozen sales under the Buy Canadian promo by showing location as Montreal, before he'd get caught, then do a quick ID switcheroo.  Tells you how aggressively some will dance around the system. 

Naughty, naughty.  

Message 61 of 99
latest reply

buy canadian promo

Good grief.
Message 62 of 99
latest reply

buy canadian promo

@mjwl2006 wrote:
I'd like to see Buy Canadian run in perpetuity.

Well I don't know.  Research has shown that marketing promos lose their effectiveness -- in fact even their visibility -- if run for too long.  There is an ideal window which varies depending on product, buyer type, venue, etc.  

What I'd like to see is more of the same sort of promotions, running now and then, preferably using one of the big, prominent landing page banners eBay now uses to promote things like "60% off Brand Names", etc. 

Also, in case anyone at eBay is listening, how about being more even-handed in the way Canadian listings are displayed in search results shown via the "Buy Canadian" page?  

As I pointed out in another post, it appears "new format" store owners are getting preferential, top-heavy placement, at least in a few of the filtered searches I did in categories in which I sell.  I'm sure my competitor with the new store format is doing very well from this promo.  Thanks eBay for not telling me a classic storefront design might be a detriment in such promos, despite my overall better seller status.  I am not impressed. 

Message 63 of 99
latest reply

buy canadian promo

Best Match is complicated. Overall status is only one determine factor. Relevance is a bigger one, I think.
Message 64 of 99
latest reply

buy canadian promo

In any event, I'm going to step back from this discussion and allow Raphael to speak to the issue, as is fitting.
Message 65 of 99
latest reply

buy canadian promo

Whoops, wrong thread. If you are truly worried, Rose-Dee, take it to the Weekly Chat for his input.
Message 66 of 99
latest reply

buy canadian promo

@mjwl2006 wrote:
Best Match is complicated. Overall status is only one determine factor. Relevance is a bigger one, I think.

To close this point, "Best Match" was irrelevant in the case I mentioned because all other factors were equivalent, including item and item pricing, except that my own FB count and sales volume were higher than the other seller.  How does being better result in far poorer visibility in this promo?  

No one knows how Best Match really functions, or even if it is as complicated as eBay would like us to think. Still, the only factor that differed was the other seller's new store format.  This apparently accounted for her listings appearing 9 times in the top 15, while my first listing only appeared at #16.  

There was one other difference: she is located in Ontario.  I'd hate to think that location alone was enough to push 9 of her items to the top above my one, below the screen break, but who knows?  Does "Buy Canadian" mean "buy from someone in a major centre"? 

It's useless bringing this sort of thing up with Raphael.  This is not a technical issue that can be answered, but something connected with the inner workings of search on eBay, which, as we've seen from many past inquiries will never be revealed.  

I simply pointed this out as something Canadian sellers might want to be aware of when hoping this promo will boost their sales.  

Message 67 of 99
latest reply

buy canadian promo

where do you see the id Naru?  all I see is they are no longer a registered user so maybe ebay shut them down

Message 68 of 99
latest reply

buy canadian promo

also I can't see a company in China even knowing about our promotion, it doesn't even show up on .com where there are a lot of Cdn sellers now.  They wouldn't have gotten an email either or a promo code....

Message 69 of 99
latest reply

buy canadian promo

where do you see the id Naru?  all I see is they are no longer a registered user so maybe ebay shut them down

NARU = Not A Registered User.

Message 70 of 99
latest reply

buy canadian promo

aha, learn something new every day. I didn't realize that was an acronym

Message 71 of 99
latest reply

buy canadian promo

@rainbow71113 wrote:

also I can't see a company in China even knowing about our promotion, it doesn't even show up on .com where there are a lot of Cdn sellers now.  They wouldn't have gotten an email either or a promo code....

I'm not so sure about that.  I can imagine these huge Chinese sellers keep multiple ID's available on a number of eBay sites in order to take advantage of every possible promotion.  

This also permits them to do a quick switch to a "clean" ID if a current ID goes sour, or is a deliberately sacrificial ID, as apparently happened in the instance I mentioned above.  

Message 72 of 99
latest reply

buy canadian promo

@rose-dee wrote:

@mjwl2006 wrote:

To close this point, "Best Match" was irrelevant in the case I mentioned because all other factors were equivalent, including item and item pricing, except that my own FB count and sales volume were higher than the other seller.  How does being better result in far poorer visibility in this promo?  

No one knows how Best Match really functions, or even if it is as complicated as eBay would like us to think. Still, the only factor that differed was the other seller's new store format.  This apparently accounted for her listings appearing 9 times in the top 15, while my first listing only appeared at #16.  

There was one other difference: she is located in Ontario.  I'd hate to think that location alone was enough to push 9 of her items to the top above my one, below the screen break, but who knows?  Does "Buy Canadian" mean "buy from someone in a major centre"? 

It's useless bringing this sort of thing up with Raphael.  This is not a technical issue that can be answered, but something connected with the inner workings of search on eBay, which, as we've seen from many past inquiries will never be revealed.  

I simply pointed this out as something Canadian sellers might want to be aware of when hoping this promo will boost their sales.  

I will share with you and the other members what I have gleaned on Best Match criteria over the years: a seller's standing is much less important that what ebay determines to be their relevance to the search terms. As in: to the victor go the spoils. 

Allow me to provide an example: A Tale of Two Sellers.

Seller A has feedback at 100 per cent and glowing reviews that make her sound like she's next in line for the Nobel Prize for e-Commerce sales. Seller B has 98 per cent feedback and reviews that make him sound like Jack the Ripper. Both are selling the same items for basically the same price and both are located within the same country. Who ranks higher? The one who has more recent sales, more views and more watchers. Ebay REWARDS sellers for past sales of an item by placing them higher in the next search for that item because they assume that seller with that item is more relevant than anyone else.

If Seller A had a sales slump due to, for example, closing their store for vacation while Seller B continued to see regular purchases during that same time period, Seller B will rank higher in Best Match even if all his buyers weren't happy. Ebay rewards the successful sellers with more sales. This works in to ebay's favour because it means more Final Value Fees. As much as we like to think a squeaky clean seller profile and good price will place us top in Best Match, the reality as I see it is that ebay gives that boost to sellers who sell, regardless of how happy their buyers are. To a point. 

This is why we all see weird trends: suddenly selling six items in a row to only German buyers, or randomly three consecutive people want something that has just been sitting around for two years. A sale an hour ago means you're hitting top of Best Match on that search now. 

I doubt very strongly it has anything to do directly with your Old Store format as you surmised earlier in the thread, when you first raised your disappointment with the Best Match position for your items. I expect that any correlation if one is to be found would be that buyers may back away from Old Store style formats when they arrived instead of looking around a lot and boosting ebay's criteria for relevance.

I know there are plenty of Old Store Format loyalists here but I personally find the appearance of the Old Store so unappealing that I back out and leave as soon as possible when I stumble into one. While I am normally not a fan of change, I opted for the new format as soon as it became available because I think it is an improvement, and when I see old stores now, all it makes me think is that the owners didn't bother to take ten seconds to upgrade. I cannot be alone in that thinking. Sorry if it causes offence. 

To recap, Best Match is more concerned with relevance (more views, more watchers and, most of all, more sales) than seller standing. Of that, I am certain. For all the good it does to people like me who twitch over feedback and defects. That being little to none. 

Message 73 of 99
latest reply

buy canadian promo

The fall-out form this is that when a seller hits a slump, they hit it hard. Best Match will continue to pass them over until their sales improve. But how can they improve if they are tracking low in Best Match? It becomes a vicious cycle or tailspin until the seller takes matters into their own hands and reaches out, for example, to past customers or drives new customers to their store. eBay Best Match won't help them until they do.  

Message 74 of 99
latest reply

buy canadian promo

I've never found the old store unappealing but we are all entitled to our opinion. :).  As far as someone backing out of a store because it isn't a new style, I doubt the average user cares or even notices which style is being used.  In fact, I suspect that many more buyers click on see other listings than go into a sellers store so It's unlikely that store style or whether we even have a store Is a factor in what a buyer looks at.

If eBay had a hate on for users with the old store format they would simply get rid of it altogether. It doesn't make sense to me that they would downgrade someone in best match because of their storefront and I really don't think that it is a factor.   I totally agree that recent sales etc are the huge factor in search placement. I'm sure that there are other factors as well but they are much lower on the list than sales.

Message 75 of 99
latest reply

buy canadian promo

I know that I used to like my old store when I had an old store. But you're probably right that buyers care take note or care how the store appears. Maybe it's just my own bias. I really don't think, however, it's an ebay Best Match bias. 

Message 76 of 99
latest reply

buy canadian promo

It's back -- another one day flash sale

Save $10 on purchase of more than $50

Expires: Wednesday, September 28 at 10pm Eastern Time zone

One use only code: CANADIANDEALS

http://pages.ebay.ca/promo/2016/0928/buycanadian.html

-..-

Message 77 of 99
latest reply

buy canadian promo

Awesome. I have money to burn today.
Message 78 of 99
latest reply

buy canadian promo

it appears "new format" store owners are getting preferential, top-heavy placement, at least in a few of the filtered searches I did in categories in which I sell.

Well, yeah.

Promotions are not for the benefit of sellers -- or of buyers.

They are for the benefit of eBay.

If eBay wants to promote the new Store format, then they will give preference in promotions to those who use the new stores.

Although I must agree that letting Store sellers know would have been polite, to say the least.

Message 79 of 99
latest reply

buy canadian promo

This is why we all see weird trends: suddenly selling six items in a row to only German buyers, or randomly three consecutive people want something that has just been sitting around for two years. A sale an hour ago means you're hitting top of Best Match on that search now. 

Oh. Em. Gee.

I never thought of that.

Also, new store format? old store format?

What have I missed?

I have seen the new Sell Your Item form and use it on dotCOM, but not here on dotCA where I am using Calculated Shipping for the most part.

I like the New Store now that I have looked at yours. Where can I switch?

Message 80 of 99
latest reply