buy canadian promo

I got this from ebay on the 8th of September- has anyone seen anything on ebay's site addressing this?

The Canada Post uncertainty made it a tough summer for many sellers. But with that behind us, it’s time to start listing the great inventory buyers are looking for.

To highlight your great Canadian inventory, eBay will launch a “Buy Canadian” event on September 19th.

Message 1 of 99
latest reply
98 REPLIES 98

buy canadian promo

Switch? Now that I'm not sure. There was a 'switch me' box that popped up when the new format first appeared. Let me have a looksee when I get back to my desktop at the store settings, I'm on a mobile device at the moment and it's not good for much that way, okay?

Message 81 of 99
latest reply

buy canadian promo

Okay, I'm back! As far as I can remember, this should work. It will allow Old Store Format users to Preview and switch to the New Store Format. 

Step One: Get to Manage My Store. There are different ways to do that but once you switch to the new format, it is conveniently located on the upper right-hand side of the page. 

1Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 7.43.20 PM.png

Step Two: Go to your Feature List at the left side in this menu.

2Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 7.47.08 PM.png

Step Three: Pick Edit Store.

3Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 7.47.23 PM.png

Message 82 of 99
latest reply

buy canadian promo

Step Four: Be ready to supply these key components like square logo and rectangular Billboard image. You can view Samples for inspiration. 

4Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 7.45.45 PM.png

Step Five: Say something nice about yourself, and pick your Top Four Favourite products to feature.

5Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 7.47.40 PM.png

Step Six: Have a look at your handiwork before it goes Live by using Preview. Publish when you are satisfied all is well. If you later decide you detest the New Store and all it offers, you do have the option of going back to the old way. 

6Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 7.47.50 PM.png

Message 83 of 99
latest reply

buy canadian promo

Altogether, this is what you get in the end. The New Store format. 

Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 7.59.46 PM.png

Message 84 of 99
latest reply

buy canadian promo

I just realized you can probably get to Edit Store without hitting Feature List. But maybe that's still a link to the old store at that point. Oh well! 

This is the FAQ on it all. http://pages.ebay.ca/stores/new/faqs.html

Message 85 of 99
latest reply

buy canadian promo

Also, if I may add: Although ebay gives you like 1,000 characters to say something nice about yourself on the storefront, it only shows 25 words or so unless you hit the Seymour (See More, get it?) button. So choose your 25 words wisely. Probably nobody clicks on the rest. 

Message 86 of 99
latest reply

buy canadian promo

Hey, looking good, reallynicestamps! Do you like it like that? 

You've got some excellent shots of stamp lots: maybe slice one into rectangle shape to use as a Billboard image. Personally, I find those Billboard images the most eye-catching element of the new format. If I may even be so bold, I would recommend using a slice of 

191979494400. I really like the looks of that one.

Message 87 of 99
latest reply

buy canadian promo

@reallynicestamps wrote:

I like the New Store now that I have looked at yours. Where can I switch? 

It looks as if you've now switched, but bear in mind there are a number of features (some of which are my favourites) that won't be available to you anymore.  And that is precisely what eBay wants with these new formats -- one-size-fits-all consistency across the site, no more "customizing" or "personalizing" your presentation. 

For example, there are features which, in the old format allow you to connect directly and personally with your customers will be gone, such as Store Pages, Promotion Boxes, Custom Display Boxes, and others.  These are far too personalizing for the new eBay, which wants everybody to look as if they are all departments of one big store.  This change more or less coincided with the removal of the "Me" page, another change that was done in order to remove the personal connection to the human being behind the storefront. 

I expect at some point in the not too distant future eBay will make the new format mandatory.  I'd resisted up to now (for the above reasons), until I came across the blatantly obvious discrepancy in search that absolutely no other factor accounted for.  

As I tried to explain earlier, Best Match could have nothing to do with the fact that a seller who had sold less than I had over the past month, even the past week, listing virtually identical products at equivalent (or even higher) prices and shipping, and with a lower seller status, would be featured in 9 out of the top 15 listings, when my first listing appeared at #16.  

Believe me, I did a lot of snooping to try to find some factor other than (a) new store format, or (b) seller location, to explain the enormously preferential top-weighting of this seller.  There was nothing else that could account for it.  

I don't mind seeing 1 or 2 listings above mine even if the sellers' general status is lower or their prices are the same -- I assume Best Match has found some other factor, such as very recent sales, to boost the listing.  However, the situation I noted earlier in the "Buy Canadian" search was so unusual, and so extreme that it begged questioning.  

The problem is, I can't move to Toronto, so do I conclude that's not the one deciding factor, give up my personalized pages, cave in and follow the herd?  I suppose I may have to after this experience. 

Message 88 of 99
latest reply

buy canadian promo

I am positive the Old Store format has zero to do with Best Match. If you strongly believe so, please bring it to Raphael's attention at the next Board Hour, and we will all learn the answer. 

Message 89 of 99
latest reply

buy canadian promo

Also, if you read the FAQs on the new store, they talk about adding extra customizations in the future like the ones you bemoan losing with a switch to the new format. Another thing to ask Raphael. 

Message 90 of 99
latest reply

buy canadian promo

It could be the other seller is paying the extra FVF % to get better exposure and higher placement

Message 91 of 99
latest reply

buy canadian promo

Interesting. Aren't those Promoted Listings only available in eBay.com?
Message 92 of 99
latest reply

buy canadian promo

I have no idea, but a lot of us Canucks do list on .com.

Since the mess with .ca and .com, I have absolutely no idea how anything works any more. Then you also have the Legacy sellers from years ago.

I know we don't get any .com promotions any more even if we list on .com, not that Ebay has a lot of promos any more.

Message 93 of 99
latest reply

buy canadian promo

"Bemoan, BEMOAN? I'll show you bemoan!..." - Smaug: BOTFA
Message 94 of 99
latest reply

buy canadian promo

I don't think that it is obvious at all that the type of store has anything to do with search.  As no one here knows exactly how best match works there could be other factors taken into account.   A couple that come to mind not mentioned yet are how mobile friendly each listing is and how long those particular listings have been listed without sales.  I am sure there are other factors that we are not aware of.  Keep in mind too that the search results you see may not be the same that someone else will see when using the same search terms. 

As I said before, if eBay thought the store type was so important they would have already closed down the old format.   Also, if the same look in all store was so important why would they allow a big banner at the top of each page that is different for each seller?  

Message 95 of 99
latest reply

buy canadian promo

Excellent "how to" demo for anyone wanting to see how to switch stores.  All that should be bookmarked at the top somewhere!  🙂  

Message 96 of 99
latest reply

buy canadian promo

Thank you, I tried to 'tag' it for future reference if later someone is looking for that but the Discussion Board Search function here seems a bit hit-and-miss to me. (Or I don't know how to use it.)
Message 97 of 99
latest reply

buy canadian promo

@mjwl2006 wrote:

I am positive the Old Store format has zero to do with Best Match. If you strongly believe so, please bring it to Raphael's attention at the next Board Hour, and we will all learn the answer. 

The question was raised at the Nov. 9 Board Hour with eBay Canada staff. 

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Weekly-Chat-Session/November-9th-2016-Weekly-Session/m-p/356541#M5437

Post 65 in the thread. 

Re: November 9th 2016 Weekly Session
Options
in reply to rose-dee
‎11-10-2016 11:51 AM

@rose-dee wrote:
Raphael, this is a question that has been gnawing at me for some time now. Is there any significant advantage, in terms of placement, visibility, preference or priority of listings, in having a "new format" store as opposed to the classic format?

I noticed during the recent "Buy Canadian" promotion that owners of the "new format" stores were getting uneven precedence in search results over sellers who had the old format stores but actually higher seller ratings, more listings, and more recent sales.
The kind of store, or whether you have a store, isn't a factor in Best Match ranking.

Message 98 of 99
latest reply

buy canadian promo

"The kind of store, or whether you have a store, isn't a factor in Best Match ranking."  - Raphael 

Message 99 of 99
latest reply