05-19-2017 07:48 PM
I sold an electronic item recently. It was working perfectly when it was shipped. The buyer says it doesn't work well and is quite specific about what doesn't work. He wants to send it back for a refund. This item will be of absolutely no value to me when it gets back and I won't pay to get it fixed since it might be complicated and costly to do so and it would have to be repaired in a foreign country.
Should i just refund him sight unseen ? I don't really want to pay for the shipping back to me and then be stuck with something I can't use or sell. The item is kind of costly at 175$ before shipping and that is why I hesitate on the refund. I guess I have little choice.
05-19-2017 08:05 PM
What was it and which country did it go to?
One of the problems in selling that type of stuff internationally. If legit, returns cost a fortune. If a scammer same situation.
Basically you will have 2 choices: return for refund or just refund. You have little choice in a SNAD which is very unfortunate.
05-19-2017 08:33 PM
I feel bad for you. I bought a brand new item on the river and when it arrived it didn't work. They sent me another brand new one and I didn't have to send the original back. The cost was $200 for the item. Stuff happens, it might have got knocked around in shipping, the buyer doesn't know how to use it or changed their mind or broke it themselves. Who knows.
Only you can decide if you want the item back or not. Maybe they can take a video of the item and what is wrong with it and send it to you. Then decide after that.
I also with anything electronic or expensive I will only ship to the US and Canada. Not worth the aggravation.
05-20-2017 11:04 PM - edited 05-20-2017 11:06 PM
The item is a coil or antenna for a metal detector. A detector can't function without one. The coil itself is from the Ukraine but it is sold from an authorized vendor in the UK (where I bought it) and there is one authorized vendor in the USA (as far as I know). It was shipped by me very slightly used but fully functional to a buyer in the USA.
It gets a little more complicated. The buyer started a dispute. In the dispute he says he wants to return the item for a full refund because it is partly functional. I offer to pay about half the price of the item plus the shipping charge (partial refund) as he claims he could get the item repaired by sending it to the USA dealer. The buyer writes to me to say that he shipped the item to the USA dealer now and will let me know what happens. Can the buyer request a return and refund from me and take it upon himself to ship the item to whatever destination to get it fixed ??? I never suggested he send the item anywhere.
He says he would be interested in the partial refund but says he will let me know what happens when it reaches the USA dealer. At this point I don't want to know what happens to the item as it's not in my hands anymore nor his and he didn't wait for my input to ship the item to a place where it wasn't even bought.