buyer demand seller to pay for duty, refuse to except package. use seperate id to email me,

hi, I am from Canada and I have a buyer from Germany that emailed me saying she got an email from her custom department asking her to declare duty. she acted like the end of the world and gave me bunch of example of her ordering from amazon that doesn't need her to pay duty. kept saying seller should cover it.

I explained to her that it is her own responsibility and she stopped replying and I look at the tracking it's not moving since its in the custom for the last 8 days already. so It looks like she just going to ignore the package and let it go back to me.

if that happens I would have to pay for the return shipping cost by Canada postal when it arrive back in Canada.  plus if she files a item not recvcied  i'll be losing the initial shipping cost as well.

is there anyway to prevent this?

also she used another user id to email about the situation not the one she used to make the purchase as well.

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

buyer demand seller to pay for duty, refuse to except package. use seperate id to email me,

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

It's up to $50 duty free not tax free so VAT may still be charged.

I forget how specific one has to be here for a correction to occur.

I should have said tax/duty free.

Message 21 of 29
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

You mean that the people at customs who opened them and returned them with different items, it means they are thief???  Scary!  I would report them to upper in their area!!

Message 22 of 29
latest reply

Hello again Sylviebee,

Unfortunately I am only a manager here at the store so the insurance part of the transaction was not part of my view of the transaction. I assumed we lost money when I received the certified check from the TPI which was much less than what we sold items for.

However it is possible that items were only insured for what the owners actually paid for the pieces when they purchased them...again I am not privy to these numbers. I am only told the range expected for retail price.

We use to sell lots of higher price items before on ebay but with the new MBG and the reinforced policies that the buyer is always right here on ebay, has made the owners establish a price limit for ebay items now. So we now list our higher end items on other selling venues available online with great success and minimal headaches/stress.

Unfortunately in our personal opinion ebay has become a very high stress proposition for sellers.

Message 23 of 29
latest reply

berubegirl, thanks for the information.

Your situation really caught my attention because it's one of those events that you think couldn't/shouldn't happen.

I have to wonder if eBay had bothered to look at the case at all if they would still have refunded the buyer?

So transparent!

It's possible that the items were fully insured and the PO paid out the first $100 and the TPI paid the rest and that's why you noticed a difference.

I found your comments about the way you list very interesting as this is exactly what I've done.

I also list my higher end items elsewhere.  For me it's not so much about eBay polices, although that may be a headache yet to surface because the return shipping policy could grow into quite the monster during the course of the next year or so as buyers learn just how much power it gives them.

For me it's been about FVFs for more expensive items in conjunction with the way my buyers of better items now avoid eBay.

EBay is right for some things but not for everything.

I like to spread it around.

Message 24 of 29
latest reply

SylvieBee-- Do you include a paper note in your packages giving your other site addresses to customers?  And is it effective?

Message 25 of 29
latest reply

femme, at this time I do not but it's a thought that occurs to me now and then.

I am of the mind that my items will be found by those who want them.

I don't have a shortage of viewers.

Message 26 of 29
latest reply

Ooops:   I want to add.....

When I said that I don't have a shortage of viewers that's not to say I don't have a shortage of buyers.  Of course I do, just like everyone else selling here.

Sales are slower and prices are lower than I would have predicted several ago, but there are many reasons for that but I don't believe it's because my items aren't being viewed.

Message 27 of 29
latest reply

Latest update is that tracking now shows item moved from custom to transit at postal office , buyer suddenly responded saying where item has been and needed it by Monday and claims tracking doesn't work as in not updating daily.
She acted like she never had the third user id messages asking me to pay custom
This looks like it's not going to end well
Message 28 of 29
latest reply

Actually it's still the third user id she messages me with again
Message 29 of 29
latest reply