buyer is asking to pay cash

This buyer emailed me asking if i would take cash, because paypal is not accepting his credit card.

How do i deal with this. What is the best thing to do?

Any input or suggestion is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

But a Paypal can be setup directly with bank account (e-check) ???...  

Message 2 of 29
latest reply

"How do i deal with this. "

I have many buyers who prefer to pay cash.  Fine with me.  I tell them to mail the cash and the item will be mailed upon receipt.

Message 3 of 29
latest reply

Do remind the buyer to tape the envelope shut... as sometimes  the glue on an envelope is not perfect...

Buyer will most likely wrap the money in  paper..... and then place it in an envelope..

and if you are selling in US dollars ... you will receive US dollars.....  Buyer will choose not to mail loonies and twonies in an envelope

Helps to have a US dollar account in your bank.... and then transfer to Canadian dollars  via the internet...

otherwise the bank may charge you a special fee if the exchange is done in person.

Over the years I have had a few buyers pay cash....  and everything works out well...

Message 4 of 29
latest reply

I have never had a cash chargeback or rubber cash. Best form of payment you can receive.

Message 5 of 29
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

I have never had a cash chargeback or rubber cash. Best form of payment you can receive.

I think that is likely true for 99.9 of transactions - but what happens when cash is mailed and the seller did not ,o r claims he did not , recieve the money. I suspect the buyer is out of luck -  no PayPal protection there.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 6 of 29
latest reply

The main problem that you may face is that the buyer does not send the cash (or money order or personal cheque).

In my experience a customer who is unable or unwilling to set up a PP account is very likely to be a deadbeat. (Stamp collectors are probably the exception. Philately has been a handshake hobby for a very long time.)

However, since he can't prove payment either, you're golden.

And you don't have to deal with the bank on US money. Most smaller businesses will happily take it, although the rate might not be as good as a 'currency exchange'. Then the owner uses it on her next trip to Vegas.

Message 7 of 29
latest reply

"Vegas"?

I'm going this weekend. Got a suite at the MGM Grand. Business has been good.

Photobucket
Message 8 of 29
latest reply

The only caveat to accepting cash is what happens if the item does not arrive if it is a foreign country and you must/choose to refund.

If you have to refund, then you will have to send cash back. Generally this means you'll have to send it registered, and depending on how expensive the item is, it might not be worth it.

In my (stamp collectors) world, I'll have someone from Pakistan ask if they can send cash for a $20 item. The problem isn't normally what happens if I get the $20, it is what happens if they claim they never received the item. To refund them, I have to spend $20 to register the letter with $20 in it to make sure it gets back to them meaning I lost the item, the $20 they paid and another $20 to make sure the refund reaches them.

Note that once I receive payment, I mark it as paid, shipped, and send a note to them, so I am exposed to INR.

For this reason I generally do not accept cash.

Generally I don't have folks in North America asking to send cash, normally they send MOs or Cheques.

Message 9 of 29
latest reply

PS If I were to ok sending cash, I always advise that sending cash is at their risk.
Message 10 of 29
latest reply

what happens if the item does not arrive

The reason eBay does not allow sellers to demand cash, is that your scenario is that the buyer is SOL.

The buyer cannot prove that he paid, so the seller is not required to refund.

And since neither eBay nor PP has ever seen the cash payment, they will not force a refund nor will they make a goodwill refund from their own pocket.

Same with money orders and personal cheques. No traceable payment, no refund.

The buyer can leave feedback and DSRs of course.

Message 11 of 29
latest reply

Hi Really, yep that would be the case if I hadn't marked the item as paid and shipped..... then I'm assuming if they filed an INR I'd be toast, however I just realized, how would that happen? They couldn't force a PAYPAL refund as there is no PAYPAL.....hmmm

I still don't like accepting cash from overseas......

Message 12 of 29
latest reply

Doesn't it say at the bottom of each invoice that a seller sends to the buyer that sellers are not allowed to accept cash by mail? Right at the seller address. I don't have one handy to check but I thought it says, 'Don't send cash payment by mail.'
Message 13 of 29
latest reply

Have a wonderful time!  The weather should be still good, I was there once during this time (Thanksgiving week-end).

Message 14 of 29
latest reply

If you sent the payment (paper check) by mail, attach a copy of this message and send everything to the following address. Keep in mind that eBay does not allow sellers to accept payment in cash sent by mail.

.... is what it says and please bear in mind this invoice copy was translated from Italian to English again. 

Am I missing something? I was also under the impression once that ebay sellers were required to accept paypal so please correct me if I am mistaken here. 

Message 15 of 29
latest reply

Not quite

Sellers are required to offer and accept online (credit card) payment of which PayPal is the most popular option. Different rules apply for buyers wishing to pick up their purchase.

There is nothing preventing buyers from offering to pay by different methods (cash, cheque/check, money order, email money transfer, etc...)  However, the seller may insist to be paid by the payment methods outlined in the listing.

Sellers may not solicit payment by other methods except for pick-up.  While they may not solicit, they may accept if offered or requested by the buyer.

For more information, please take a look at the official eBay policy:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/accepted-payments-policy.html

Message 16 of 29
latest reply

I thought it says, 'Don't send cash payment by mail.'

That's a warning not an interdiction.

It is foolish, since the cash may not arrive or the seller may refuse to admit he got it.

But it is not illegal , in Real Life or on eBay.

Message 17 of 29
latest reply

The last invoice I sent went to a buyer in Italy and it said: 

Se hai inviato il pagamento (assegno cartaceo) tramite posta, allega una copia di questo messaggio e spedisci il tutto al seguente indirizzo. Tieni presente che eBay non consente ai venditori di accettare pagamenti in contanti inviati tramite posta.
Message 18 of 29
latest reply

The last one that went out on ebay.ca said:

If you send your payment (e.g. cheque) by mail, add a copy of this e-mail and send everything to the following address. Please note that eBay does not permit sellers to accept cash payments sent by mail.
Message 19 of 29
latest reply

I don't like to disagree with anyone here and certainly not with the members who know more than I but Please note that eBay does not permit sellers to accept cash payments sent by mail seems, uh, pretty specific. If it's right there on the invoice, how can it NOT reflect actual policy?

Message 20 of 29
latest reply