buyer requirement ??? how to avoid unpaid item

It's fun to see in our dashboard, many options to block buyers from purchasing.

The one I like the most is to to block buyer with a feedback score of -1 or -2 or -3.....

Do you know or find any buyer with that kind of feedback ? Of course not, we can't, as seller, give negative feedback. (WOW)

My question now: how can I block a new account (a zero feedback) to bid or purchase (without paying)

Can't find it ---- and I think that there is nothing to do

thank you for your help if you got or have the way to made it

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

You need to set up buyer requirements. But you can't block buyers with 0 feedback, only with negative number.

Here is how:

http://ocsnext.ebay.ca/ocs/sr

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

You can't block 0 feedback buyers and for myself, I don't see any need to do so but you can block buyers who have 2 unpaid item strikes within the last 12 months.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

@elegant-cie wrote:

It's fun to see in our dashboard, many options to block buyers from purchasing.

Can't resist commenting on that.  Cracks me up.Smiley LOL

So many options to stop people from buying your items and you still want more!

Sellers get so busy playing the eBay game that they forget we're here to make money.   

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Hello. Indeed, we are here to make money, but don't they say that time is money. And when people bid on your items and win, but decide not to pay, well you need to: contact them to let them know you would like to receive the payment in order to ship their item, contact them AGAIN to see if they have forgotten or something, wait 4 days after the end of the auction to open an unpaid open case, open the unpaid item case, wait another 4 days before closing it, closing it and finaly relisting your item. A lot alot alot of waste of time. I have become an expert at it. I chose the option to block people with 5 unpaid item within 12 MONTHS and still people are not paying for what they have won. I even wrote in my listing: DON'T BID IF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO PAY. Still, it continues. So fed up..........but who are these people ??? Would you go in a store, choose something and not pay for it ? I don't understand, really, .I just don't. Cheers, Youckoulele

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

@youckoulele wrote:

Hello. Indeed, we are here to make money, but don't they say that time is money. And when people bid on your items and win, but decide not to pay, well you need to: contact them to let them know you would like to receive the payment in order to ship their item, contact them AGAIN to see if they have forgotten or something, wait 4 days after the end of the auction to open an unpaid open case, open the unpaid item case, wait another 4 days before closing it, closing it and finaly relisting your item. A lot alot alot of waste of time. I have become an expert at it. I chose the option to block people with 5 unpaid item within 12 MONTHS and still people are not paying for what they have won. I even wrote in my listing: DON'T BID IF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO PAY. Still, it continues. So fed up..........but who are these people ??? Would you go in a store, choose something and not pay for it ? I don't understand, really, .I just don't. Cheers, Youckoulele

You would be better off choosing the option to block people with as few as 2 unpaid item strikes within 12 months .... rather than 5.  That means people with 4 strikes against them could still bid.

And as far as blocking individuals with zero feedback (which we all had at one time), they are no more likely to be non-paying bidders than those with a higher feedback.  In checking my Buyer Requirements Activity Log tonight, I see that two people were blocked from bidding because of too many unpaid item strikes -- one had a feedback number of 534 and the other 616.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

And further to my recent post, of the 9 individuals on my Buyer Requirements Activity Log blocked because of too many unpaid item strikes, each one had 100+ feedback.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

My question now: how can I block a new account (a zero feedback) to bid or purchase (without paying)

You can't and probably you shouldn't for all the reasons mentioned above.

But if you must, you can set up a Block against bidders who do not have an active Paypal account. Since these would strongly tend to be newbies, the effect would be much the same.

You can also set up an Automatic Dispute for nonpayment after as little as four days. (Our American colleagues can do this in as little as two days I understand.)

There is also, I noticed yesterday, the choice of cancelling sales in the list of actions after purchase (feedback, invoice, relist,etc.) So you could really annoy a potential good buyer by refusing her purchase -- even if she has already paid.

That'll show'em.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

If we refund then likely we get a defect, Ebay is not for everyone is getting close to the truth for many. Were here to sell and make money not read the EBay bible of Bizzaro world rules written by toddlers at best.....

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

You would be better off choosing the option to block people with as few as 2 unpaid item strikes within 12 months .... rather than 5.  That means people with 4 strikes against them could still bid.

The poster has complained about non paying bidders a few times and has been told more than once that they should change their requirements but they don't seem to want to do that.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

73rhc
Community Member
I'd like to see an immediate payment required on auction items. Not only for BIT. Then you could opt for PayPal only and get paid right away. When you have 1 off item, it disappears when "purchased". If the intended buyer forfeits his/her obligation. Then it is days before it can reappear on the market. And you may have lost out on a bonfire sale. This is unlike most other online retailers.
Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Except---

DH usually bids with a sniping service, since his preferred items tend to show up in Australian or British auctions. So he would likely be asleep when they close.

Same goes for bidders who bid once but early.

So with Immediate Payment, the sale would go to the underbidder, not the high bidder. Or not sell at all, if there were no underbidder, which is even more common.

Ask yourself, how many deadbeats do I actually get? One out of a hundred? One out of twenty?

Then look at your listings and try to understand why they are bidding but not paying.

Is your shipping unclear until after the auction ends? We are all living with Canada Post rates.

Do your pictures match your description? If you picture five items in different colours , but are only selling one item in the auction, your customer will be annoyed.

Is your customer demographic heavy with scatterbrains? Auctions are for customers with patience, Fixed Price for the impulse shopper. And you can use Immediate Payment Required for FP.

Ask a friend or a relative what she sees when she reads your listing. Try to choose one who doesn't know the product. 

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

"So with Immediate Payment, the sale would go to the underbidder, not the high bidder. Or not sell at all, if there were no underbidder, which is even more common."

Sorry, I don't get this. At the end of the auction, immediate payment is required. Maybe the system can be set up so that the final bidder must have the funds available to be able to bid. And once the auction is over, payment is immediately made. Without the bidder having to do anything. As a buyer myself, I would like this option. No need to go back to eBay and complete the transaction. I've set my maximum bid. I've agreed to the shipping cost by bidding.
Message 13 of 16
latest reply

@73rhc wrote:
"So with Immediate Payment, the sale would go to the underbidder, not the high bidder. Or not sell at all, if there were no underbidder, which is even more common."

Sorry, I don't get this. At the end of the auction, immediate payment is required. Maybe the system can be set up so that the final bidder must have the funds available to be able to bid. And once the auction is over, payment is immediately made. Without the bidder having to do anything. As a buyer myself, I would like this option. No need to go back to eBay and complete the transaction. I've set my maximum bid. I've agreed to the shipping cost by bidding.

The trouble is, how much money would you have to put aside?  That would be very hard to control and predict, especially for bidders who like to wait until the last minutes of an auction and then change their minds and raise their reserves (or bids) when the action gets hot.  

Mind you, I doubt  frenzied bidding wars happen much anymore.  Still, it would have to be a pretty robust and well-integrated digital system to check that there were enough funds in the high bidder's account 10 seconds from closing.  EBay has enough trouble just making ordinary transactions function properly most of the time. 

I know what you are after, but actually I think this is part of the reason both sellers and buyers now prefer Fixed Price listings, something like over 70% I seem to recall hearing from the eBay.ca staffers.  Fixed Price is far more controllable, predictable and payment is quickly settled if you prefer (Immediate Payment Required).

There just isn't the patience or interest in auctions anymore on the part of buyers that there used to be.  And sellers aren't happy to have to wait several days for an auction to end, only to sell the item at next to cost, then have to wait several more days to get paid.  It's a dying paradigm that belongs to the "old" eBay. 

As an aside, given the declining level of auction listings, I can't figure out why eBay keeps offering so many listing promotions for auction style.  It seems there are only 1 or 2 Fixed Price promos every few months.  

Personally, I rarely offer auctions anymore, other than as loss leaders -- which is exactly what most end up being. 

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

@73rhc wrote:

The trouble is, how much money would you have to put aside?  That would be very hard to control and predict, especially for bidders who like to wait until the last minutes of an auction and then change their minds and raise their reserves (or bids) when the action gets hot.  

Mind you, I doubt  frenzied bidding wars happen much anymore.  Still, it would have to be a pretty robust and well-integrated digital system to check that there were enough funds in the high bidder's account 10 seconds from closing.  EBay has enough trouble just making ordinary transactions function properly most of the time. 

I know what you are after, but actually I think this is part of the reason both sellers and buyers now prefer Fixed Price listings, something like over 70% I seem to recall hearing from the eBay.ca staffers.  Fixed Price is far more controllable, predictable and payment is quickly settled if you prefer (Immediate Payment Required).

There just isn't the patience or interest in auctions anymore on the part of buyers that there used to be.  And sellers aren't happy to have to wait several days for an auction to end, only to sell the item at next to cost, then have to wait several more days to get paid.  It's a dying paradigm that belongs to the "old" eBay. 

As an aside, given the declining level of auction listings, I can't figure out why eBay keeps offering so many listing promotions for auction style.  It seems there are only 1 or 2 Fixed Price promos every few months.  

Personally, I rarely offer auctions anymore, other than as loss leaders -- which is exactly what most end up being. 

Buyers don't have the patience for auctions when they are for simple commodity items that have a pretty set in stone value. eBay offers auction promos because both buyers and sellers want them and they tend to bring more unique items to the site rather than the same old same old.

The promos have been pretty consistent, two a month and almost always alternating between fixed price and auction. Of course if you don't get an invite it doesn't matter which format it's for.

While the number of transactions which are Fixed Price might be 70% these days I believe the VALUE of the Auction transactions are closer to 50%, That would mean somewhere in the area of 30 - 40 BILLION Dollars in sales by Auction.....hardly dead or even dying.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 15 of 16
latest reply

"

Personally, I rarely offer auctions anymore, other than as loss leaders -- which is exactly what most end up being. "

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I disagree on many points. It is simple for a buyer to know ahead of time how much or she is willing to bid. They are adults and most are not morons who cannot foresee the amount to have available in their account.

As for the auction matter, it is still a reality. Like it or not, it is not going away anytime soon. And the auction issue is not the debate. Immediate payment can be a seller's option for BIN. Why not come up with similar option for auction purchases.

Message 16 of 16
latest reply