buyer return fraud

Greetings. Just had a buyer open a return case. The buyer bought a nice condition used music cd. It appears that the buyer has put the cd in a microwave oven and now wants a full refund of the item price plus shipping and has opened a return case. How to proceed with this?

Item number: 111654762401 Prozzak cd

I have attached the pictures from the return case.

Message 1 of 43
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

buyer return fraud

Basically ebay handling the matter like they did pretty much accused the OP of just that, microwaving it then sending it out.

This is a poor policy on the part of ebay.

I would suspect that the buyer and the sellers burnt by this are avoiding feedback altogether. The sellers avoiding it so they dont get a neg out of it and the bad buyer avoiding it so as not to draw attention to his scam so he can keep doing it.

View solution in original post

Message 22 of 43
latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

buyer return fraud

It would seem that only one picture per post is allowed.

I attached another picture.

Message 2 of 43
latest reply

buyer return fraud

3rd picture attached.

Message 3 of 43
latest reply

buyer return fraud

Yup, that was in a microwave alright. The burns on the cover even line up with the disc.

http://www.viralforest.com/happens-microwave-cd/

Sadly ebay will probably side with the bad buyer due to their general lack of any sense of reality.

Message 4 of 43
latest reply

buyer return fraud

Unfortunately, ebay has no way of knowing what condition the item was sent in so the buyer will probably win.  If the return request stated that the CD was not as described/not working, then you also have to pay the return shipping. In that case, you might want to refund without a return so that you don't have to pay for return shipping.

Message 5 of 43
latest reply

buyer return fraud

I'd refund the asking price without demanding a return.

At minimum wage of 18cents a minute, how much time can you spend on this?

Then with the transaction closed, I'd ask eBay if there is any indication that the buyer has a habit of doing this.

The reason I ask is, when I buy a CD, I upload it to my iTunes then take the disc out to the car, which is where I usually play it or put it in the 'poor box' for donation.

So your buyer may be doing the same, with the sneaky addition of demanding his money back.

There may be a papertrail with eBay. Or even in his 'feedback left for others'.

And of course, he goes on your Blocked Bidder List.

Message 6 of 43
latest reply

buyer return fraud

@ladybug2785 wrote:

Greetings. Just had a buyer open a return case. The buyer bought a nice condition used music cd. It appears that the buyer has put the cd in a microwave oven and now wants a full refund of the item price plus shipping and has opened a return case. How to proceed with this?

Item number: 111654762401 Prozzak cd

I have attached the pictures from the return case.

How do you know it wasn't damaged in transit?

The idea that somebody would put a $5 cd in a microwave in order to return it seems hard to believe. Would be a lot easier to simply say that it looks fine but skips.

If it was me I would just send a full refund and be done with it.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 7 of 43
latest reply

buyer return fraud

Look at it and compare it to the auction. One poster even pointed out that the burns on the insert line up with the same burn pattern on the disc (mirror mage). I can see it.

Damaged in transit???? So I guess Canada Post is in the habit of cooking packages in a microwave oven?

Just look at this and tell me that this did not happen to this Prozzak cd:

http://raptor.physics.wisc.edu/wacky/cd/

All you really need to do is go to google.com and enter microwave cd in the search box and you will get your answer to this scam.

Message 8 of 43
latest reply

buyer return fraud

I agree with you.  I think it makes no sense to imagine this kind of damage occurred in transit.  Thousands upon thousands of CDs must go through the postal system and they don't end up like this one. 

Whether the buyer deliberately damaged the CD or not (maybe his 4-year-old kid stuck it in the microwave to see what would happen), you'll never know.  It doesn't matter at this point because eBay unfortunately won't stand by you anyway.  

The way I see it, eBay introduced its MBG programme to appeal to buyers as if it had direct control over the returns/refunds process (like major retailers such as Sears), without having to take the direct losses themselves (as do companies like Sears).  EBay launched the MBG without having any system in place to mitigate buyer fraud of this type (for example, a CS department devoted to adjudicating such cases might have been conceivable, but why would they do this -- it would cost a lot of money to have such time-consuming services available).  Basically it was easier and cheaper for eBay to drop the problem in its sellers' laps. 

Besides, the MBG programme suits their biggest retail sellers very well -- no complicated contact with customers, just refund and pay for return of the item.  A large eBay retailer can (and does) absorb such losses easily, but the loss can be a much bigger deal for a small, independent eBay seller.  Still, at least this wasn't a highly valuable, irreplaceable collector's piece, for example -- I've seen sellers reporting fraud of this kind on more expensive items.  I'm sure many of us realized that fraudulent refund requests might become an issue for many sellers as soon as the MBG was introduced.  

The only realistic thing I think you can do is refund (don't bother with having the useless CD returned), and move on.  If you're a persistent and optimistic type, you might want to invest the hours required to try to get through to someone at eBay CS who at least speaks English fluently and see if you can get any satisfaction over this issue, but frankly I think your time is probably more valuable than the value of the CD.  Reporting the buyer may be more helpful in the long run (although not to you personally).  And definitely block this person. 

Message 9 of 43
latest reply

buyer return fraud

In a case such as this, one has to ask if a bonafide crook would purposely damage an item to get a refund of $7.70.  

OR.....perhaps the item had some fatal flaw and the buyer "pushed" it over the edge to make sure there would be no misunderstanding.

With all of eBay's items too choose from, a shark worthy of the title would pick something with higher returns and stop short of damaging the item beyond repair.

Message 10 of 43
latest reply

buyer return fraud

Ebay is just as pathetic as the bad buyer in this situation. Whoever is in charge of this should be ashamed of themselves.

So Ladybug, just refund this idiot and it will go away. Although I don't know if it will generate a defect.

If a defect has not already been created, how would the OP refund without creating one?

And make sure to report this idiot to ebay as it "may" help future sellers avoid what happened to you.

Message 11 of 43
latest reply

buyer return fraud

@sylviebee wrote:

In a case such as this, one has to ask if a bonafide crook would purposely damage an item to get a refund of $7.70.  

OR.....perhaps the item had some fatal flaw and the buyer "pushed" it over the edge to make sure there would be no misunderstanding.

Or -- as 'femmefan' pointed out, this guy has been making a habit of getting his entire CD collection for free by uploading the content from the CD to wherever he wants, ruining the CD and then claiming damage to get his refund.  I think that seems more likely. 

A pretty nifty little scam I'd say, and more believable as a "safe" eBay fraud than looking for that one expensive item on which he might actually find himself at the receiving end of a police report.  What seller is going to bother spending time over a ca. $10 CD?  It's a very clever scheme, that is until the buyer gets busted by too many sellers reporting his criminal behaviour. 

Which is why I'd encourage the OP to report this buyer to eBay after the fact, even if it doesn't mean getting the defect or case removed. 

P.S. Is there such as thing as a bona fide crook?  An oxymoron if ever there was one I think! Woman Very Happy

Message 12 of 43
latest reply

buyer return fraud

@rose-dee wrote:

P.S. Is there such as thing as a bona fide crook? 

Absolutely!    

Message 13 of 43
latest reply

buyer return fraud

http://discworld.wikia.com/wiki/Ankh-Morpork_Thieves%27_Guild

Perhaps he has his journeyman papers and is working his way to his master status.

Message 14 of 43
latest reply

buyer return fraud

That's what I'm talkin' about.

Kinda like a bona fide Bad.

Message 15 of 43
latest reply

buyer return fraud

@reallynicestamps wrote:

http://discworld.wikia.com/wiki/Ankh-Morpork_Thieves%27_Guild

Perhaps he has his journeyman papers and is working his way to his master status.

Perhaps they get a laminated wallet size card that identifies them as a Red Seal Bonafide Crook?

Papers! Papers please!

Photobucket
Message 16 of 43
latest reply

buyer return fraud

OMG.  I would definitely report this buyer for fraud to ebay.  You even have a picture on the listing of the surface showing it perfect.  I would just refund and move on, don't ask for it back as it will cost you more for the return shipping.  Block the buyer, don't deal with buyer any longer as they are a scam artist.  

What I believe is that they originally had that disc and one of their children put it in the microwave.  They wanted to replace it but  didn't want to put out the money.  

Message 17 of 43
latest reply

buyer return fraud

Well we refunded this buyer before the return case deadline. So far there does not seem to be any defect from it.

Made a call to ebay to report this buyer. The guy on the phone said he knew that the cd had been microwaved by looking at the pictures but ebay has no policy to deal with it so there is nothing they can do.

Also reported the bad buyer through the ebay site.

We only sell great condition items. Mostly cd and cassette. We are very picky about condition and take great care with picturing the disc playing surface so the buyers know they will not be getting some scratched up junk.

Message 18 of 43
latest reply

buyer return fraud

@ladybug2785 wrote:

Well we refunded this buyer before the return case deadline. So far there does not seem to be any defect from it.

Hopefully you don't get a defect but usually as soon as a  return case is opened and the buyer reports that the item wasn't as described/damaged etc. there is automatic defect even if you refund within minutes. If the buyer used a buyers remorse type reason then there shouldn't be a defect. There also wouldn't be a defect if you fought the case and won but I don't think that is the case here. But if you fight a not as described case and lose, you receive an unresolved case strike which imo is worse than a defect.

Message 19 of 43
latest reply

buyer return fraud

@rose-dee wrote:

@sylviebee wrote:

Or -- as 'femmefan' pointed out, this guy has been making a habit of getting his entire CD collection for free by uploading the content from the CD to wherever he wants, ruining the CD and then claiming damage to get his refund.  I think that seems more likely. 

A pretty nifty little scam I'd say, and more believable as a "safe" eBay fraud than looking for that one expensive item on which he might actually find himself at the receiving end of a police report.  What seller is going to bother spending time over a ca. $10 CD?  It's a very clever scheme, that is until the buyer gets busted by too many sellers reporting his criminal behaviour. 

Which is why I'd encourage the OP to report this buyer to eBay after the fact, even if it doesn't mean getting the defect or case removed. 

P.S. Is there such as thing as a bona fide crook?  An oxymoron if ever there was one I think! Woman Very Happy

This isn't 1978! If you want a free copy of what's on just about any cd you can download it in a few minutes.

The idea that somebody , anybody is going to go through the hassle of buying a cd on eBay, having it shipped to them, copying it and then returning is laughable.

That Prozac cd is garbage but on a lark I tried to find a copy online that I could download for free......took me a whole 30 seconds to find and 10 minutes to download (with complete artwork).

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 20 of 43
latest reply