chargeback.

does anyone have experience on charge backs , this is my first one and basically in the note they say .

Note: A****** (same last name) is financially responsible for B****** (same last name) account
and is responding on B****** (same last name) behalf.

So they live in the same house and instead of contacting me they created a charge back right after I shipped.

I called eBay they said we have the shipping recipe you created through Paypal and that's all we need.

In an email I received I got it said this .

Here’s how to provide us the information we need:

1.  Log in to your PayPal account.
2.  Click “Resolution Center” near the top of the page.
3.  Click "Resolve" in the Action column to view the information we need.
4.  You can either fax or upload your documents to us.

but they don't say anything I need do I just sit here and wait. 

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

chargeback.

maybe they don't live in the same house they have the same last name tho. So I assume person A's kid bought something

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

chargeback.

@videogamezstore wrote:

does anyone have experience on charge backs , this is my first one and basically in the note they say .

Note: A****** (same last name) is financially responsible for B****** (same last name) account

So they live in the same house and instead of contacting me they created a charge back right after I shipped.

I called eBay they said we have the shipping recipe you created through Paypal and that's all we need.

Clear as mud isn't it? I have had two charge backs but much later in the game then you. The one transaction was at least three months old so it really took me by surprise. PayPal automatically puts a hold on the funds until it's resolved. At least they did in my case.

I'm surprised they took the route of a charge back instead of waiting and going through a return process.  I am no expert on this situation, however if you do have proof of shipping (with tracking preferable) then you should be ok. Do upload a copy of your shipping/tracking receipt, even though it seems silly since PayPal already has it. This is what I did. I was very lucky as I didn't put tracking on mine but I did upload the Canada Post receipt and they found in my favour.  The other charge back went through unfortunately but luckily it wasn't for a large amount of money. Still it is frightening to know that even after a few months have gone by they can just come and take your money...sigh. And yes to your question, after that all you can do is wait. I really don't remember how long the process took.

It is a scary thing because even though the time has elapsed to get a refund through eBay(obviously not in your case yet), customers have up to 180 days through PayPal (I think) and who knows how long through their credit card company.  Good luck!

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

chargeback.

@videogamezstore wrote:

Is this an email from Paypal and does it say that it is an unauthorized charge? I've had a few chargebacks but have never seen any information such as what you describe in the note.

Assuming that it is an unauthorized use chargeback, you need to provide proof of shipping through the resolution center in Paypal.  If you used a non trackable method there really is no way to prove that it was physically shipped unless you have received some sort of receipt at the post office when you mailed it.  But if you don't have tracking and you did print a label through Paypal, you should phone them directly and ask if they will accept the fact that you bought the label as proof of shipping.    One poster said that they did accept that in their situation but as far as I know, that isn't the norm.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

chargeback.

pjcdn2005

I did phone them explaining there was no tracking and it was a light packet .

The lady said there was a receipt number on file and they will use because I did not change anything in the address.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

chargeback.

Paypal said they would accept that or are you referring to when you phoned eBay?

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

chargeback.

sorry , I phoned Paypal about the problem and was re directed to eBay. On the phone the lady from eBay said that they would consider that as being shipped. maybe that is to cover me for seller protection.

I guess Paypal makes sure the charge back is warranted and eBay covers seller protection if it is and the seller already shipped it.

Maybe I'm wrong 

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

chargeback.

Paypal has always handled credit card chargebacks so perhaps we aren't talking about the same thing?

It's possible that something has  changed but since the email tells you to provide the info through Paypal, I don't think that ebay would have anything to do with it. I would phone Paypal again. Have you logged into the resolution center in Paypal to see what sort of information they are asking for?

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

chargeback.

Hello 'videogamezstore',

With a charge-back if you can provide "proof of shipment" then you will usually be okay.  Ideally you would have 

a receipt from the post office showing that the item was shipped to the buyer's address.

However, if you have the paypal shipping label receipt which correlates with the order transaction number indicating 

the item was labelled (and presumably shipped even if you can produce no evidence of it having seen a mail box)

for the person buying, and that the buyer has the same name and address as the cardholder, -- then you should be covered.

If a person from the household, as you said, used someone else's card from the household, credit card companies 

will not consider that acceptable grounds for a charge-back.  Not between spouses, relatives, and certainly not 

parent-child where parents are legally responsible for their child's actions whether it pleases them or not.  A bank may 

revoke someone's card privileges, or may decide to cover a loss, but if one spouse uses the card of another, the seller

will not be made to lose the payment when the household keeps both the item and the money.

When a charge-back is initiated your funds are promptly put on hold pending the outcome.  It does not mean the money 

is gone for good.  Ultimately it is the credit card company who decides, not paypal, although sometimes when an action 

is declined and you get your money reinstated, paypal will make a courtesy refund from its own pocket to the buyer.

But that's up to paypal.  Whether or not the charge-back goes through,  the final decision is made by the card company.

Paypal does not like charge-backs so give them everything they ask, everything you can think of that might help your

case.  Paypal wants to help card companies decline charge-backs where possible, - not because they're mean but

because fake requests are too frequent.  

Card companies also expect disgruntled purchasers to contact the seller and try to resolve the dispute first

themselves.  When that fails, card companies may want to see the email exchange.  If your buyer has made no effort to 

contact you and simply sprung a charge-back on you at this early date without even asking for a cancellation, this could 

work well in your favour.  

Give it all you've got, - and best of luck. Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

chargeback.

When a charge-back is initiated your funds are promptly put on hold pending the outcome.  It does not mean the money 

is gone for good.  Ultimately it is the credit card company who decides, not paypal, although sometimes when an action 

is declined and you get your money reinstated, paypal will make a courtesy refund from its own pocket to the buyer.

But that's up to paypal.  Whether or not the charge-back goes through,  the final decision is made by the card company.

The cc company might make the final decision but paypal does not require the seller to reimburse the buyer if the seller has the required proof of shipping or delivery confirmation. When there is no scan showing that an item was received by the post office, paypal 'may' accept proof that the item was shipped just based on the fact that the label was printed but I don't think that is guaranteed.

Card companies also expect disgruntled purchasers to contact the seller and try to resolve the dispute first

themselves.  When that fails, card companies may want to see the email exchange.  If your buyer has made no effort to 

contact you and simply sprung a charge-back on you at this early date without even asking for a cancellation, this could 

work well in your favour.  

I've never heard that. Perhaps a cc company will do that if they are dealing with the seller directly but I've deal with a few unauthorized chargebacks and I have never had any contact from the cc company or asked by paypal if the buyer responded to me so I would be very surprised if lack of contact will mean anything in this situation.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

chargeback.

<< paypal does not require the seller to reimburse the buyer if the seller has the required proof of shipping or

delivery confirmation.>>

That's pretty much what I just said, yes.  Paypal often wants Delivery Confirmation and if a seller cannot provide a

tracking number in a claim will likely lose the case, but credit card companies will accept proof of shipment to decline

a charge-back.  

What the seller needs to establish is that the item was shipped to the buyer, not just that an item was shipped ... period.

<<paypal 'may' accept proof that the item was shipped just based on the fact that the label was printed but I don't think

that is guaranteed>>

Again, that's pretty much what I just said.  Paypal wants to work with the card company to prevent charge-backs.

So in this instance it may be to the seller's (OP's) advantage that the buyer filed a charge-back in lieu of waiting and

filing a Not Received claim through paypal.  That is, if the shipping number coincides with transaction numbers to 

verify that said item was indeed shipped to said buyer.

With a 'Not received' paypal claim, if the seller can not prove Delivery, the buyer would likely be refunded.

Card companies are much stickier, and seem to know that if an item has been mailed the odds of it mysteriously 

vanishing are pretty remote.  A card company will accept proof of shipment so if the seller can manage that, paypal will

gladly pass it along and this may thwart the charge-back.  Because it is the card company who makes the final decision.

If the card company declines a charge-back, the seller will not have lose the payment, as I said earlier.  If paypal wants

to subsequently offer a courtesy "good faith" refund to a buyer, that's their business.

<<I've deal with a few unauthorized chargebacks and I have never had any contact from the cc company or asked by

paypal if the buyer responded to me>>

Well of course the would not ask you, -- you're not the one filing the charge-back.  The card company will not simply 

process a refund for the asking.  That buyer may have to show that s/he has made some effort to contact the seller.

If, as the OP maintains, this did not happen, that can be added in the response to the claim.  For a buyer to admit that

s/he made no effort to resolve the issue with the seller but merely filed to get back the money, well, that will not look good 

for the buyer.  

Sure, without guaranteed delivery it is possible that none of it will work.  But I still say, 'give it all you've got'. Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

chargeback.

pjcdn2005 , dmil8030

Thanks for all the great information guys!

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

chargeback.

I think that you are misunderstanding what I am saying. You are saying that it is the credit card company's decision whether or not to accept proof of shipment. I am saying that the Paypal user agreement states that if a seller can prove shipment to the paypal address in an unauthorized payment chargeback, the seller will win.  Perhaps the card company has the same rule...I don't know but if for some reason the cc company agrees with the buyer, Paypal should not be able to force the seller to refund the buyer. In that situation, I guess that Paypal would have to refund the buyer.

When I said that it was not guaranteed that the seller will win if if they can show that the shipping number coincides with the transaction number, I meant there was no guarantee because printing a label does not prove that an item was actually shipped. As I said earlier, there is one case that I know of when paypal ruled in favor of the buyer even though the seller could not prove that they actually shipped the item, only that they made a label for it but there are also cases in the past of the seller losing because although they had printed a label, there was no proof that they had physically shipped the item. It's possible that paypal has changed their policy about that so that's why I'm curious to see what the outcome is in the OP's situation.

Well of course the would not ask you, -- you're not the one filing the charge-back.  The card company will not simply 

process a refund for the asking.  That buyer may have to show that s/he has made some effort to contact the seller.

If, as the OP maintains, this did not happen, that can be added in the response to the claim.  For a buyer to admit that

s/he made no effort to resolve the issue with the seller but merely filed to get back the money, well, that will not look good 

for the buyer.  

I've had my cc used without my authorization and I never contacted the seller. Why on earth would I contact a seller when I never ordered anything from them and have never dealt with them.  When someone used my card to buy a plane ticket to Nigeria and to buy a car in Nova Scotia, I didn't even think about contacting the airline or the car dealer and the card company didn't ask me if I had contacted them.

If someone did a chargeback on a purchase from me, I believe that their cc statement would say that they had made a purchase from pjcdn2005. If they haven't actually made that purchase, they would have no idea who I was or how to contact me so how could it look bad for the credit card user if they didn't contact me? 

Message 13 of 13
latest reply