cost of tracked international shipping shocks potential buyers

To ship a box with a single lp record (under .5 k)  to Asia  costs $23 if  not tracked and $81 if tracked. We know that tracked shipping is what eBay expects and I believe it will soon be mandatory.. Potential buyers who themselves  might prefer  tracking are shocked and upset when asked to pay $81 to ship an item that likely  costs much less.  When I agree to heavily subsidize this huge shipping cost, profit shrinks so low as to question selling at all.

In January, CP shipping costs are to be increased by as yet unannounced percentage . As bad as it already is, I am quite pessimistic about the effect it will have on the existing terrible situation.

How do other sellers who ship to international sites deal with cost of tracked shipping?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I do not track.

It is a waste of money.

eBay will never make it a requirement for shipping.

Photobucket
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

You may not use tracking but many potential buyers ask about the costs. They also can learn that shipping same size package from USA to Asia by priority airmail is about $35!!! I do not know shipping costs from  other countries.  If my  potential buyer prefers tracking and is quoted at $81,  a sale is not likely. 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Whenever I get buyers asking for tracking (rare), I tell them how much it is, they usually say oh it's too expensive they'll just take regular airmail. No problem in most cases except for two INRs (both to USA) which I'm sure they eventually got the items. Well the items are only $16 so I just shrugged, refunded, blocked them, and firmly believe that karma will strike these liars (both told me they'll repay me when the item actually arrives and I never heard from them after refunding lol) Smiley Happy

I won't mail things internationally with tracked shipping because usually the tracking cost is much pricier than the acquired cost of the items so I just take the risk with Light or Small Packet Air. So far knock on wood I had no missing (had a couple really slow ones) parcels internationally. Some of them gets to Europe surprisingly fast... like 4 business days with UK and Germany. 

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

If you live in Canada, there is no way to compete on the global market by demanding tracked shipping.  

My trick is when I send out the invoice, I write a note saying something like this: "The lowest postage cost has been offered to you to save you money. If you feel you might require tracking on this item, please add $15 (or whatever the amount) to the total. By waiving this additional payment for tracking, you waive your right to claim a paypal refund for non-delivery. Now we all know this is bs, and if the buyer wanted they could still get their money back, but it makes them think about it at least. So far I have never had a charge back for a non delivered item. If Ebay ever demanded we require a tracking number to ship, I would just quit selling, it would be impossible to make any money unless you are consistently selling high priced items that buyers are happy to pay the extra for tracking.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

I gave up shipping out side of North America awhile back. I was getting tired of giving refunds for Auctions overseas because of the high shipping cost especially  Australia. I would show 2 shipping prices one with out Tracking and another with Tracking and 99.9 % of the time it was with out tracking and then as soon as the expected arrival date had gone by I would get the DNR e-mail.

I don't mind the small dollar items but when it started to add up I went to North America only and  that solved my problem.

If I am still selling the first of the year I am going to use all Insured shipping over 25.00

I know I'm going to hear the Cookie jar theory but with the little bit I am selling now it will not cover my losses.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply