counterfeits on Ebay, Amazon, and Alibaba

Here is a nice read on counterfeits being sold on the 3 major auctions - Ebay, Amazon, Alibaba

http://www.laweekly.com/informer/2014/12/03/how-ebay-amazon-and-alibaba-fuel-the-worlds-top-illegal-...

As long as they make money and can pass the problem to sellers (most are never removed), none of them care a great deal about the problems.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Not much of a revelation that humans are less then honest.
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I sell Original Cell phone batteries. Ebay is flooded with fake batteries. I have purchased a battery from 12 of my competitors so far to see which ones actually sell Original. Mainly because I was positive many Sellers were selling fakes because of the low prices. I had to find out if Sellers really were able to sell an Original battery for almost half the price that I am selling an Original for. I received 10 fakes and 2 Originals. One of the Sellers that sent me an Original had several "Used battery" comments in the feedback.

Most of these fakes comes from Aliexpress and Alibaba. I know where to get them. But I want nothing to do with them. Sadly, the Sellers that sell the fakes gets most of the sales because of their lower prices. Ebay rewards these sellers by giving them higher rankings in the Best Match search because their auctions have more momentum because more people buy the fakes for the lower price thinking they are getting a good deal.

I put together a youtube video and have it in most of my battery auctions. The video proves that my batteries are authentic and also shows people how to detect a fake battery. The more people that knows how to detect a fake, the harder it will be for sellers to sell them. It is impossible for a Seller to prove that the fake they are selling is Original.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

That seems like a good way to publicize the problem.

Some batteries are not just counterfeit they are actually dangerous.

China has some sort of restriction on shipping lithium batteries, which I don't understand. Can you explain the problem?

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

I accepted a 'Second Chance Offer' and received a counterfeit 1937 Canada $5 banknote.

Not the banknote described in the listing.

1937 banknotes are still legal tender in Canada.

Creation and/or passing counterfeit.currency or coins is illegal.

The seller is still very active on eBay.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Fakes have been around for hundreds of years. This is not news. Heck, money has been faked for thousands of years.

Who among us has not said "I want the cheapest"? That is asking for the fake.

Photobucket
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

There was a recent discussion on eBay.com about a court case where  eBay is involved ...

eBay does have the rules  that deal with counterfeits, fakes.... and more.

However,  those rules/regulations do not appear to be vigorously enforced.

The fact that eBay collects a fee when a fake is sold puts eBay into a difficult situation.....

Benefiting indirectly....  by collecting  a final value fee....

Message 7 of 7
latest reply