eBay May Count Late Deliveries as Item-Not-as-Described Defects

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

The keywords to this process are

ESTIMATED  delivery time.

There is no absolute.

The assumption is that it is in your listing... therefore you are responsible.

The error is that sellers do not add the estimated delivery time to a listing... eBay does...

Once a parcel has been  received by a postal service... delivery becomes the responsibility of the postal service.

-----------------------------------------

One problem is to charge for a more expensive fast delivery option... and ship with a less costly  and slower delivery option...

-----------------------------------------

If one remembers correctly..... estimated delivery time  is the sum of the postal service estimate plus handling time...  and then in the US... a handling time of one day... TRS standing requirement.... puts a seller into a constant delivery mode...

--------------------------------------------

Some sellers in the US buy postage from Paypal/eBay,  but do not delivery to the post office  until a day or two or more...parcels accumulate and several parcels are delivered on the same day.

and then still maintain TRS plus standing on eBay.com... Perhaps  eBay is putting pressure on those that play this keep the TRS plus game...

There also appears to be a requirement that the parcel be confirmed within the postal service.... tracking actual shows when the parcel was delivered to the post office.

----------------------------

One has to conclude that eBay is putting the pressure on those that play games in order to maintain a TRS plus standing.

and it is also noted  in the article that there should be no problem if the parcel is tracked....  recognizing... perhaps.. that the postal service is not perfect.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Not as described...

(1) Seller says one day handling in a listing... Buys postage from eBay/Paypal... and then lets the parcel pile up ... handling time then becomes more than one day... not as described in the listing.

(2) Sellers offer a fast delivery at high cost..... but use a less costly delivery option  that is slower....the slower shipping option used by the seller in the listing was not described in the listing....

There is more to ... Not as Described..... as it relates to the item sold

Seller is providing a service that was not described in the listing....

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

And sound the death knell for International Surface shipping.  Good luck if you work with Canada Post's stated delivery standard of "4 to 6 weeks".  More like 6 to 10 weeks in reality.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

@atvds1210 wrote:

And sound the death knell for International Surface shipping.  Good luck if you work with Canada Post's stated delivery standard of "4 to 6 weeks".  More like 6 to 10 weeks in reality.

Yeah, I never understood that one. I believed closer to 3+ months.

However.

I am finding that with Paypal shipping, the new HS codes, my parcels are flying through very quickly. I package in a mail carrier, and mailbox, friendly manner.

My parcels are getting to their US destinations on the short end of the estimated delivery time line, not the long end.

Photobucket
Message 5 of 19
latest reply

Hum? There is a lot to read in that article. There is also a lot to read into it.

My take? There are a lot of sellers who are abusing the delivery procedure. They ship once or twice a week and then cry 'Not my fault". I "think" eBay is trying to get all sellers into the mode of "not now, right now". Orders today go out tomorrow, no exceptions.

Consumer buying is switching from B&M to on-line. Buyers want the same instant gratification. I "think" that too many sellers are not getting that drift.

Too many hobby sellers who just don't care.
Photobucket
Message 6 of 19
latest reply

An example .....

a Bookseller... TRS on eBay.ca  and TRS plus on eBay.com

who states in each listing....

We ship every Tuesday and Friday morning 

TRS plus requires one day handling.... but seller does not do so... but continues as TRS plus on eBay.com

Seller is located in the US... Buy shipping through Paypal/eBay... and shows one day handling because of this.

However,  the new thing is to prove it was tracked within the one day handling 

It is not enough to buy within one day handling.... It must be in the mail.

Service not as described in the listing....

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

"The joys of selling on eBay!"

Are we really surprised ?Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

This seller states

Will usually ship within 1 business day of receiving cleared payment 

but ships only on Tuesday and Friday

A contradiction within each listing..

eBay sets the rules.... Sellers find ways to beat the system....  but until when?

There has also been reports ... on eBay.com.... of sellers shipping whenever....it suits them....  and not what they state as a handling time.

Provide the service indicated in the listing.

Set up your way of selling...  and proceed as indicated in your listings on ebay.... 

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Many sellers work to maintain TRS plus.....  and get that 20 % discount....

Beat the system and succeed.... is their choice

However, eBay says ... we have you in our sights....  be careful what you do....

Earn your discount  in an "correct" manner... no shenanigans.

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

This seller states

Will usually ship within 1 business day of receiving cleared payment 

but ships only on Tuesday and Friday

A contradiction within each listing..

eBay sets the rules.... Sellers find ways to beat the system....  but until when?

There has also been reports ... on eBay.com.... of sellers shipping whenever....it suits them....  and not what they state as a handling time.

Provide the service indicated in the listing.

Set up your way of selling...  and proceed as indicated in your listings on ebay.... 

I do believe that is what the ecommerce article was about. This is eBay's way of going after these people. All of us know this game is being played. eBay knows this game is being played. I have nothing to worry about. The once or twice a week shipper? They have something to be worried about.

Photobucket
Message 11 of 19
latest reply

I wonder if I should be concerned?

I don't use Paypal labels, since I have a pretty good source of discount postage. Mostly I use Letter Rate which is not available on Paypal in any case.

I do work on next day shipping. Leaving stuff longer leads to errors in my experience.

But I don't always mark items as shipped immediately. Guess I'd better sharpen up on that. Or will manual "Shipped" notes count?

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

However,  the new thing is to prove it was tracked within the one day handling 

It is not enough to buy within one day handling.... It must be in the mail.

It is and will still be necessary to upload tracking information within one business day after purchase.

The tracking has to be validated/scanned at some point. It does not need to be scanned within one business day. If the only delivery scan is upon delivery, that meets the criteria.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

"Or will manual "Shipped" notes count?"

As you know, I also never use PayPal postage.  It is much more economical to use discounted postage stamps.

I do not manually show "shipped"

Instead, daily, after the mail is out, using the Sold tab in Selling Manager, I select (at left) the transactions that were shipped that day, click on "Change Status" and select "Paid and Shipped".

That takes care of it.  KISS.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

"Yeah, I never understood that one. I believed closer to 3+ months.

However.

I am finding that with Paypal shipping, the new HS codes, my parcels are flying through very quickly. I package in a mail carrier, and mailbox, friendly manner.

My parcels are getting to their US destinations on the short end of the estimated delivery time line, not the long end."

I have very good luck with US shipping and International Small Packet Air.  International Surface is a nightmare though, even to Europe is taking 6+ weeks, which is really to bad since the Int's surface packet allows up to 2 KG.   I hate to cut off those buyers, but it isn't worth it now and the International Air service for anything over 500 grams or so is to high to be feasible. 

Message 15 of 19
latest reply

A discussion of this same article on ebay.com.....

Appeared to arrive at no definite conclusion... and got lost in blaming it all on eBay....  and that was the third page.  with more to read...

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

A discussion of this same article on ebay.com.....

Appeared to arrive at no definite conclusion... and got lost in blaming it all on eBay....  and that was the third page.  with more to read...

Ah yes, one finger forward and three fingers back. point point point point point

Photobucket
Message 17 of 19
latest reply

I must be in the minority when it comes to buyers. 

I don't expect something to arrive 2 days after I pay for it. 

I have no problems with sellers who ship twice a week or even once a week as long as that is said in the listing. 

I realize people have day jobs, lives and don't always live next door to a post office. 

I also realize that delays quite often happen in the postal system whether it is because of holdups in Customs, bad weather or postal employees enjoying an extra long weekend. 

Someone once said "Patience is a virtue". Patience is something that seems to be in short supply these days. 

One of the reasons I long ago stopped selling on eBay is people who send instant payment and expect instant delivery. 

Relax. You may live a little longer. 

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

@bozonet wrote:

I must be in the minority when it comes to buyers. 

I don't expect something to arrive 2 days after I pay for it. 

I have no problems with sellers who ship twice a week or even once a week as long as that is said in the listing. 

I realize people have day jobs, lives and don't always live next door to a post office. 

I also realize that delays quite often happen in the postal system whether it is because of holdups in Customs, bad weather or postal employees enjoying an extra long weekend. 

Someone once said "Patience is a virtue". Patience is something that seems to be in short supply these days. 

One of the reasons I long ago stopped selling on eBay is people who send instant payment and expect instant delivery. 

Relax. You may live a little longer. 

You must be one of my customers. Virtually all of mine are exactly as you describe.

Photobucket
Message 19 of 19
latest reply