'eBay Surveys Sellers on Changes to Fees and Search'

In the words of Dorothy Parker, "What fresh hell can this be?"

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/cab/abn/y15/m09/i18/s01

"eBay is surveying sellers on a host of issues ranging from fee structure to a radical new approach to search. In its letter to sellers inviting them to take the survey, eBay said it was always trying to improve the eBay experience, "and there's no better group of advisors than our customers."

Examples:

"How would you feel if a product search on eBay showed buyers only the top 5 most relevant search items? A link to see the other items would be provided."

"How would you feel if you could purchase access to eBay customer service to sellers that is tailored to your needs?"

"How would you feel if you could opt-in to a program that would allow you to see your competitors' sales funnel data and they could in return see yours?"

""How would you feel if you could pay to promote items that you have listed on eBay to customers when they were viewing comparable items being sold by other merchants, and similarly they could promote their items to customers who were viewing items that you were selling?"

You really have to read this. Can you pipe in if you've been asked to complete this survey? Or is it availalbe only to ebay.com sellers?

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Also http://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2015/9/1442545006.html for editorial comment if one has an account with the blog which I do not. 

Message 2 of 46
latest reply

Three words:  OMG. 

Message 3 of 46
latest reply

Pretty soon you will have to pay for every Ebay non-service on top of listing and FVF's.

Message 4 of 46
latest reply

How would I feel if they fixed everything that was broken and/or did not work before all this other garbage?

Message 5 of 46
latest reply

Most sites will run the way they are expected to run without bugs and gliyches before trying to add more useless ones that do nothing for sellers or buyers but put more cash in Ebay's pockets.

Ebay is becoming a joke and the laughing site in the business world and are doing nothing to fix it!

Message 6 of 46
latest reply

• ok since i was not asked here are my answers just for comments sake
  • How important is it to you to learn about your eBay customers?    I would love just to see their purchase or bid history like before. Maybe have it in the TOS when someone signs up for an account that sellers can have access to buyers purchase  or bid history if they are bidding or buying an item tnat belongs to that seller.

• How would you feel if eBay provided survey and reporting tools to collect information from your customers? meh ok

• How would you feel if you could not directly collect customer information on eBay, as is the case today? sucks today

• How important is it to you to be able to assess your competitors' sales metrics on eBay? isn't  3rd party software out there already doing this? and i don't own any of  those now so...nah

• How would you feel if you could opt-in to a program that would allow you to see your competitors' sales funnel data and they could in return see yours? I wouldn't pay for it

Here are some additional questions asked in the survey:

"How would you feel if customer disputes were decided by a panel of buyers and sellers?" not a bad idea but bring back the ability to leave negative feedback for buyers!!! if they are bad buyers no one wants them here anyway

"How would you feel if you could pay to promote items that you have listed on eBay to customers when they were viewing comparable items being sold by other merchants, and similarly they could promote their items to customers who were viewing items that you were selling?" depends on the cost and are we trying to make ebay a race to the lowest price?

"How would you feel if the Top Rated Seller discount was eliminated, but in return you could purchase advertising at non-eBay sites to drive traffic to your Store or listings?" again depends on the cost but most likely not

"How would you feel if you could use eBay certified drop shipping providers to expand your inventory and save on logistic costs?" sure ok but would these products be new ? and if so would I be able to use the drop shipper on other sites too?

"How would you feel if Top Rated sellers continued to receive a seller discount, but no higher placement in search results, as is the case today?"  just make the default search be items ending soonest @!!@

Message 7 of 46
latest reply

Where is the problem? 

I would rather see eBay survey sellers (as they have done for years) than implement policy changes without getting prior input from sellers.

Way back in 2000 eBay ran a program "Voice of the Customer" where ten members (sellers and buyers) were invited (twice a year) to join the group "Voices".  Of course "Voices" would not make decisions but supply input to eBay's management about a wide range of issues.  I see the current survey serving the same purpose. 

Message 8 of 46
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Where is the problem? 

I would rather see eBay survey sellers (as they have done for years) than implement policy changes without getting prior input from sellers.

Way back in 2000 eBay ran a program "Voice of the Customer" where ten members (sellers and buyers) were invited (twice a year) to join the group "Voices".  Of course "Voices" would not make decisions but supply input to eBay's management about a wide range of issues.  I see the current survey serving the same purpose. 

I worked for the same employer for 35 years. Change is constant, evolutionary, unstoppable. Change happens for a variety of reasons both internal and, often, external.

I have seen a very noticable change in buyers and buyer behaviour in the last year.  The buyers that once did "this", are now doing "that". The ones that were "here", are now over "there". Should I stand still, moan, cry, wail at the system? When it is actually the external buyers who are driving the change?

I am doing quite well moving with all the changes over the last two years.

Photobucket
Message 9 of 46
latest reply

Problem? There is no problem; I think surveys are a fantastic idea, as I am fond of telling people exactly what I think.

I'm certain eBay will quickly learn exactly what sellers think of the coming changes to which they allude with these survey questions. Therefore, I've no problem whatsoever with the survey, only the context of it.
Message 10 of 46
latest reply

Hmm this caught my eye.....

"if Top Rated sellers continued to receive a seller discount, but no higher placement in search results, as is the case today?"

This perhaps answers some questions I've had.....

I must have missed or more likely forgot the announcement regarding no higher placement, I've wondered for some time if I was getting low relative visibility, although if I search on categories where my stuff should show, I come up fine in the places I want to be.

I also ship in 2 days instead of one so I always figured that on its own dampened my visibility.

The "pay for visibility" option they're asking about is just like it was in the good old "featured auction" days. I had a great system working under that domain,

Actually the other 2 main non-eBay sites I use "still" have "pay for visibility" although I've not gotten the same level of results vs cost that I used to get in eBayland. 

I think it is good that they are asking, it will be interesting to see what comes from it..... I haven't gotten a survey yet, although it seems I'm usually about 2 weeks behind everyone else...... in several cases I've already used up the promotions because I found out about them on here so long before I actually got the official announcement! Thank goodness for this board!

Message 11 of 46
latest reply

A seller pays for a TRS standing by doing it right in relation to eBay's rules  for a TRS standing.

The 20 % discount is earned  in this manner...

Paying for extras may not be a necessity for all sellers...

In certain categories.....  those with lots and lots of listings... paying for a benefit in search  may be needed...

Many of these situations may not be needed  to remain as a profitable seller on eBay.

...  We all know that... There are a lot of things  that have to be "made better"

Message 12 of 46
latest reply

A seller with TRS  should continue to get the 20 % discount....

However,  a TRS, and perhaps only a TRS  should receive those perks.....

Should a seller that is not a TRS  pay for the perks.... and do better that a TRS  that does not pay for the perks???

Message 13 of 46
latest reply

Hi Cumos, I believe that is the reason they told us they stopped it originally. It was to stop the sometimes wrong folks from using the "paid visibility" to increase their exposure ahead of others who were better suited....

Having said this, I continually today see non-TRS sellers on top of the search results because they're using the multiple item aspect to increase their visibility (because it is selling items).
Message 14 of 46
latest reply

To date, I haven't received an invitation from ebay to participate in their survey. Has anyone here? My concern is that this not merely be a poll for select, hand-picked sellers within certain, limited regions.

Message 15 of 46
latest reply

I don't mind surveys if they're intended to gather opinion on ideas or concepts, but it sounds as if eBay has decided on a number of changes they want, have already put them on the table, and are asking sellers to choose their favourite(s).  

This comment, quoted in the article you linked, is what got my attention (my bold text).  This "survey" is no such thing, it's a vote on a bunch of plans that are essentially faits accomplis. 

"We won't be able to make all of the changes we're testing today, but your opinion really matters - so when it comes to the final decision about what we want to do, it's only right that you, our customers, help make that decision."

Message 16 of 46
latest reply

Typical Ebay double talk so they can say, you voted for this or you gave us input and we listened.

Anything to make them look better and they can later blame sellers!

Message 17 of 46
latest reply

It is interesting how reading the same words may lead to different conclusion on their meaning.

You see:

"We won't be able to make all of the changes we're testing today, but your opinion really matters - so when it comes to the final decision about what we want to do, it's only right that you, our customers, help make that decision.""

I see:

We won't be able to make all of the changes we're testing today, but your opinion really matters - so when it comes to the final decision about what we want to do, it's only right that you, our customers, help make that decision."

Same words - exactly - yet different emphasis.

Is the glass half full or half empty?  It is all a matter of perspective.

Message 18 of 46
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Same words - exactly - yet different emphasis.

Is the glass half full or half empty?  It is all a matter of perspective.

Actually, I think 'dutchman's' comments above hit the nail on the head more accurately.  This is eBay's usual modus operandi.  

This "survey" is not the same as asking for input on a proposed idea, which will then be incorporated into the concept.  I think anybody who believes that about eBay is being willfully blind.  I find it difficult to understand how anyone with years of watching the decision-making process (and its results) on eBay can still attribute to this corporation motives of generosity and collaboration towards sellers.  

As a whole, the list of "survey questions" in the link posted by 'mj' says to me that eBay is grasping for additional cash income.  Reviewing their detailed financial statements was an eye-opener in this respect, and I'm glad I took the time to do it.  Now I can be realistic about what to expect from this company.  I used to be a "glass completely full" eBay supporter, but I'm not in the cheerleader ranks anymore.  

The most sellers' opinions may do in such a survey is to determine which evil, amongst a whole smorgasbord already prepared and laid out by eBay, will come to pass.  And then, as 'dutchman'  says, sellers won't be able to complain that they've had no say.  EBay will say: "See, you asked for it."  

Message 19 of 46
latest reply

Well, I would like to complain that I haven't been invited to participate in this survey yet. Where have others found their invitation? Has anyone from within ebay Canada been sent one? 

Message 20 of 46
latest reply