ebay kijiji classifieds integration test - Announcement Boards

Just saw this on the Announcement Boards today .... I thought they had rolled this out a while ago ? I'm sure I've seen ebay items inserted into kijiji ad space before ....

ebaytest.PNG

Message 1 of 59
latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

The smell of desperation from eBay is obvious, Canadian sales are falling like hail stones..... 

And as we can no longer list in US on the Canadian site, I will seriously think before I relist on ebay Canada my full inventory. 

Ebay.COM here I come, bye bye ebay Canada!!!!

@themodernowl wrote:

Just saw this on the Announcement Boards today .... I thought they had rolled this out a while ago ? I'm sure I've seen ebay items inserted into kijiji ad space before ....

ebaytest.PNG

Message 2 of 59
latest reply

As I was searching the K site ( maybe my area was one of the original test areas) to see if I could find any ebay listings inserted yet ... this was one of the sponsored links .....

bonanza.PNG

Niiiiiice .... 😞 

Message 3 of 59
latest reply

Sponsored links. Good grief.

I checked the Announcement Boards this morning and it hadn't been posted yet but, yes, ebay dos run banner ads across kijiji pages at peak sales times such as Christmas. I've seen them myself. And my own listings within it. So much the better if they want to expand it. Why not? I have ads on kijiji in my city advertising my ebay inventory with Free Local Pickup as the hook.

I will venture to say that Kijiji shoppers are among the cheapest out there. They expect something for nothing.... way more so than the most, ahem, budget-conscious shoppers on ebay. They are often a real 'treat' to deal with. But the kijiji ads for my stuff get good visibility and plenty of replies. 

Message 4 of 59
latest reply

I wonder if ebay will give Sellers a discounted FVF if their item sells through from a site where it's free to sell things?  Smiley Surprised

Message 5 of 59
latest reply

Or give themselves affiliate sell-through perks?

Message 6 of 59
latest reply

@themodernowl wrote:

I wonder if ebay will give Sellers a discounted FVF if their item sells through from a site where it's free to sell things?  Smiley Surprised

Why?  SInce the site is owned by eBay, you're still in eBay territory....

As for free: only if you avoid saying yes to all the upgrades that K pushes. Smiley Wink

I'll often use K to set up odd ball stuff -- then migrate it to eBay when I have time to finish tweaking/modifying for shipping. Last one was 6 weeks on K with lowball local offers, lasted 1 day on eBay before heading south of the border.

-..-

Message 7 of 59
latest reply

I just realized they must be talking about doing something different than the rolling banner ads across the page, like actually placing an ebay listing into the kijiji results like it was a kijiji ad. That's the reason they specifically state it will only be a few items per search... so that they don't make kijiji shoppers angry, and ebay sellers confused about why the heck someone is suddenly messaging them about local pickup. 

I do Local Pickup on ebay transactions whenever asked but there may be some sellers who might balk at it. Like those in bigger cities, or higher-risk categories. I doubt I'll get shivved on my doorstep over a $20 diecast car, for example. If I was selling $500 iPhones, my feelings would be different. 

It might be forward-thinking for ebay to also talk about safety recommendations for Local Pickup. Also, what about that warning at the bottom of every kijiji page that stated 'collect your items in person in cash, we don't endorse online payments or money orders' or whatever it was that it says?

Message 8 of 59
latest reply

Important Safety Warning:

Avoid fraud by meeting all sellers in-person to pay for items. Kijiji does not offer any transaction or payment services. Read More Safety Tips

Message 9 of 59
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

I just realized they must be talking about doing something different than the rolling banner ads across the page, like actually placing an ebay listing into the kijiji results like it was a kijiji ad. ....

If that's what eBay is doing -- then the smart way to do that is only use Canadian listings that already have local pickup as one of the options.

On the rare occasions when I mail a K sale it's only using a paypal invoice.

-..-

Message 10 of 59
latest reply

Yes, that would be the smart way to do it..... 

(Dramatic pause.)

Message 11 of 59
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

@mjwl2006 wrote:

I just realized they must be talking about doing something different than the rolling banner ads across the page, like actually placing an ebay listing into the kijiji results like it was a kijiji ad. ....

If that's what eBay is doing -- then the smart way to do that is only use Canadian listings that already have local pickup as one of the options.

On the rare occasions when I mail a K sale it's only using a PayPal invoice.

-..-

LOL. eBay and "smart" in the same sentence. LOL.

Message 12 of 59
latest reply

But then there are two places to designate 'local pickup' with one being under Payment and the other being under Shipping. 

Mine are designated in payment as Cash on Pickup but I don't want it under Shipping because I don't want to have to take Local Pickups for Paypal payments. That doesn't interest me.

If someone is taking my time to schedule an appointment for pickup so that they can immediately save on time waiting for their item to arrive and postage fees, I want a reciprocal benefit of saving on paypal fees and seeing the immediate cash in hand. Also, I want to avoid the confusion (like I have already seen) of a person paying for 'free Local pickup' and then thinking that means I ship to them for free. Because 'free is free.' No thanks.  

So, while virtually all my listings designate Cash on Pickup, watch this be overlooked because I don't offer Local Pickup as a Shipping Option. 

Message 13 of 59
latest reply

Just a thought and a BIG .... What IF?

Could this be  the beginning of having a way for a Canadian seller to list their eBay store  On Kijiji.

The question is how would someone interested in something I sell... buy it.... a local sale with a local pick up.

If they are registered on eBay... they can buy and  do a local pickup paying with cash Canadian dollars.

If they are not registered on eBay... Can they buy as a  "guest".... Buy and pay with cash with a local pickup.....

A major problem would be someone that wants to buy without buying as a guest on eBay...

Right now this is a thought... but maybe... someday... just maybe... such a possibility ... just might work...

There are problems foreseen with such an option... just now ... but maybe not in the future....

Message 14 of 59
latest reply

I would appreciate any way that ebay can find to facilitate local sales. Like I've said before, I offer local pickup on virtually every listing. In a perfect world, I'd like to offer Local Pickup on all of them again but I had to disallow on a few in order to make that item Immediate Payment Required so that Lookie-Lous would stop 'buying' it and then letting it go to Unpaid. That's a waste of watchers, insertion fees, listing upgrade fees, and time. If ebay had an option that would override IPR when they could see a user's address within the same region (by postal code), that would be ideal for me.

I am a real stickler for keeping sales on ebay. I place ads on kijiji in the relevant categories saying, 'Come to my store on ebay, browse, buy online and pickup for free' but I insist absolutely those buyers use the ebay checkout even when they contact me via kijiji first. It's for mutual protection. If they know I'm legit, I want to know they are too. I've brought two dozen non-ebay users to ebay because of this policy over the years. Big whoop, right. Maybe 20 new users. But still.... That's not counting the ones who come to ebay to look at my stuff and then venture outside my store to order the loose backdoor alternative from China because it's so much cheaper. 

Message 15 of 59
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

.... If they are not registered on eBay... Can they buy as a  "guest".... Buy and pay with cash with a local pickup.....

A major problem would be someone that wants to buy without buying as a guest on eBay...

Not to my knowledge. Last time I checked, Guest Checkout only works when online payment is submit. Otherwise, how would the seller know who's coming to their house and for what? 

Message 16 of 59
latest reply

Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 3.43.18 PM.png

Message 17 of 59
latest reply

I finally found my first ad .... not mine literally but an ebay integrated ad .... I'm so excited ...not sure why 🙂

kijiji.PNG

Message 18 of 59
latest reply

Interesting. Was there anything special about the ad itself? Like did the seller offer Free Local pickup with Cash Payment or something? 

Message 19 of 59
latest reply

ebay2.PNG

Message 20 of 59
latest reply