ebay kijiji classifieds integration test - Announcement Boards

Just saw this on the Announcement Boards today .... I thought they had rolled this out a while ago ? I'm sure I've seen ebay items inserted into kijiji ad space before ....

ebaytest.PNG

Message 1 of 59
latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

I see. Thanks! I wonder if the 'free shipping' will be a determining factor in which ads are selected for this extra exposure.

Message 21 of 59
latest reply

Nope ~ free shipping in Canada ~ when I click on the ebay link it brings me to their ebay.ca listing ~ 

Message 22 of 59
latest reply

I would bet it is just because I am "shopping" in Ottawa but get a listing in Toronto so my guess so far would be free shipping is a good driver ... will keep looking .....

Message 23 of 59
latest reply

Nope , not free shipping as the driver, the next one I found has shipping costs to Canada (and it's still not in my local area). 

Message 24 of 59
latest reply

Hmm. I wonder if it's a category they feel is under-populated. Or has a high contact response rate where, if they added listings, would lead to eBay earning final value fees as opposed to zilch from a kijiji sale.
Message 25 of 59
latest reply

So far I am just looking through the CD DVD BluRay on kijiji and there seems to be 2 ebay listings per page that I've gone through, some Sellers have stores some do not some have free shipping some don't some items are "new" and some are "like new"  and they are from all across Canada.

Message 26 of 59
latest reply

I see. It's interesting that two per page is their maximum allowed. Too many and it will put-off kijiji shoppers, too few and it won't be affected. I'll have to play with some searches of my own on the weekend and report back. Maybe I won't like seeing competitors from across Canada in places where I used to stand alone on kijiji.

The sellers are all shipping from within Canada, I hope?
Message 27 of 59
latest reply

mj2.PNGI found one of your listings ! 

Message 28 of 59
latest reply

Oh? That's reassuring. Where? For what?
Message 29 of 59
latest reply

oops see above

Message 30 of 59
latest reply

Huh. That one includes postage in the asking price.
Message 31 of 59
latest reply

Ebay's square photos look like garbage on kijiji's landscape orientation.
Message 32 of 59
latest reply

Let's not get too picky 🙂

What I have noticed too though is if I go on kijiji and just search Paw Patrol I get all ads BUT the ebay ads ~ I have to search under the actual Toys & Games heading on kijiji to "find" or see the ebay ads .... see now you are gone

mj3.PNG

Message 33 of 59
latest reply

Yes, I noticed that too just now. Curious.
Message 34 of 59
latest reply

Strange.  You two are in different cities but can bring up the eBay ads.  I get none, no local, no eBay.  

paw p search.jpg

I hate being left out.   :-(  

A few years ago they had eBay ads sprinkled in with the others on that site.  I figured that was just the way of it, but then it stopped after a while leaving local-only ads regardless of category.  The eBay ads are easier to spot this time.  The ones a few years ago were a slightly shaded but did not have the eBay logo in the corner.  Maybe it was an experiment but when people want to buy local and click on a camera lens only to find a $28 shipping fee instead of being able to just go and get the item, I would think that would annoy users.  There was no indication where the item was until the viewer clicked on the listing.  At least now the eBay "ads" can be recognized.  For those who an see them at all.  

Message 35 of 59
latest reply

You haven't been left out. Illogically, if you wanted to find an eBay-based Paw Patrol ad, you'd have to enter non-specific search terms and browse. From what I surmise. I'll need to look more closely later.
Message 36 of 59
latest reply

I remember the 'ads' you're talking about. They looked like upgraded listings, sort of like the kind you can buy, except that eBay had integrated them.
Message 37 of 59
latest reply

Hi, I can see some ebay ads in toys & games in Victoria, but you are correct, MJ's ad does not appear in your search .... you guys only have 77 items for sale in toys & games .... no kids where you live ? LOL

I found one of my own listings too, but when I try to search for it in Victoria it doesn't come up either. 

Message 38 of 59
latest reply

Well, that's strange to say the least.
Message 39 of 59
latest reply

I just received the notification by email yesterday on this test, which I suppose means my listings could be involved at some point.  I hadn't noticed the announcement itself on eBay. 

I have no local pick-up, and I sell in two or three categories on eBay.  I couldn't find any of my eBay listings on a few random Kijiji searches I did today, but since this isn't an actual rollout yet, I expect results will be spotty.  One problem I can see is that many Kijiji shoppers' expectations or experience vis-à-vis pricing, shipping, delivery, etc. etc., will differ from regular eBay shoppers, which may lead to more issues for sellers. 

I must say that my first thought too (as someone expressed earlier) was that eBay Canada must be getting desperate.  Still, other online venues are also searching for ways to cross-market and get maximum visibility, either through their own alternative platforms, or by inventing new auxiliary sites (I'm thinking of one in particular that has recently created two linked-in subsites).  

The more crowded with competition the online marketplace becomes, the smaller the share of the pie everybody must be getting, including eBay.  

Message 40 of 59
latest reply