feedback

I give the buyers a choice of shipping method because most of the items I sell are lower priced. I sent a package out to a person in the US within 10 hours of him paying for it. He left a negative feedback remark about not receiving his package yet. The time frame in question had a holiday in the middle of the shipping time which would have slowed it down ,he paid for the item late on a Friday so it was shipped but could not leave here until Canada Post went back to their jobs on Monday. Then it has to clear customs ,which sometimes is good and sometimes is slow. With a holiday in there more people book extra time off of work . Then I refunded his money ,told him to keep the item for free seeing how it did not meet his delivery estimates  yes ESTIMATES . I asked ebay to have him remove the Negative remark  , and I was told to bad . The guy chooses his shipping ,to cheap to pay for faster service, then complains till he gets his item for free ,and his money back and the person still would not remove the remark. This situation was created by him not me but seller protection is a bunch of bull and ebay really went to bat for me  . So I guess the seller protection against that kind of remark  ( it says Still waiting havent got my item yet )  Neg  the first one in over 2000 buy and sell . So do not depend on ebay to go to bat for the seller there more interested in the goof that spent 5.99 on an item . its the 60 cent that was important to ebay not the 100 dollars a month they suck of of my transactions . Is there some kind of seller board ,group that over sees ebays decisions ?

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

feedback

The guy chooses his shipping ,to cheap to pay for faster service, then complains

Why do you allow the customer to choose the shipping service?

You should be making the choices based on your own perceptions of cost for the service provided.

If you feel you need tracking, use a tracked service. If the customer does not want to pay for that service, which does him no good, he can shop elsewhere.

You sell mostly gems and coins.

If you are finding that you are getting a lot of problem buyers, perhaps it is time to move to tracked shipping.

Or you could go to the buyer-friendly Free Shipping and include the actual cost of shipping in the asking price*.

Or you could leave things as they are, and put the tracking number in your feedback. (I rarely track on purpose, but when I use a service that includes tracking anyway, I do include the number in my feedback). This puts potential scammers on notice that a non-delivery claim can easily be refuted.

Or you could accept that not every transaction will go perfectly write the refund off as a business expense, and add the bidder to your Blocked Bidder List.

*I suspect from your comment, that you charge for LetterPost but often upgrade to a parcel service that includes tracking taking the cost from your asking price.

That's another form of "Free " shipping.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

feedback

Thanks for some of your other advise ,I have only been selling since March and a buyer for a few years. I am learning you cannot please everyone ,and it seems though  ,the buyer always gets the slack from ebay no matter how hard you try to correct something . I will take and use some of your advice as I see how it can help me . thank you kindly for your input 

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

feedback

The item was sold on May 4th

The buyer left negative feedback June 5th (over four weeks later!).  The one day holiday had nothing to do with it. Sent by letterpost - Customs had nothing to do with it.

In the Shipping section, there was only one shipping option:

US $2.50
United States
Canada Post USA Letter-post

Estimated Delivery within 7-11 business days

The buyer had the right to post negative feedback (although he should have communicated with you first, inquiring about his item) and there is nothing Bay will do in the circumstances to remove or revise it.

Only the buyer can revise feedback in some circumstances:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/feedback/revise-feedback.html

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

feedback

there

@pierrelebel wrote:

The item was sold on May 4th

The buyer left negative feedback June 5th (over four weeks later!).  The one day holiday had nothing to do with it. Sent by letterpost - Customs had nothing to do with it.

In the Shipping section, there was only one shipping option:

US $2.50
United States
Canada Post USA Letter-post

Estimated Delivery within 7-11 business days

The buyer had the right to post negative feedback (although he should have communicated with you first, inquiring about his item) and there is nothing Bay will do in the circumstances to remove or revise it.

Only the buyer can revise feedback in some circumstances:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/feedback/revise-feedback.html

was a holiday in the time frame and your counting every day not business days . what ever.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

feedback

June 05 was when I resonded to his remark not when the situation begun ,do not jump to conclusions please but thank you for your remark always like to here what other people like to say 

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

feedback

I ask everybuyer how they want to ship so thats okay ,you have no idea of the information that was exchanged between parties. but again thanks . 

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

feedback

The guy chooses his shipping ,to cheap to pay for faster service, then complains

Why do you allow the customer to choose the shipping service?

You should be making the choices based on your own perceptions of cost for the service provided.

If you feel you need tracking, use a tracked service. If the customer does not want to pay for that service, which does him no good, he can shop elsewhere.

You sell mostly gems and coins.

If you are finding that you are getting a lot of problem buyers, perhaps it is time to move to tracked shipping.

Or you could go to the buyer-friendly Free Shipping and include the actual cost of shipping in the asking price*.

Or you could leave things as they are, and put the tracking number in your feedback. (I rarely track on purpose, but when I use a service that includes tracking anyway, I do include the number in my feedback). This puts potential scammers on notice that a non-delivery claim can easily be refuted.

Or you could accept that not every transaction will go perfectly write the refund off as a business expense, and add the bidder to your Blocked Bidder List.

*I suspect from your comment, that you charge for LetterPost but often upgrade to a parcel service that includes tracking taking the cost from your asking price.

That's another form of "Free " shipping.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

feedback

your counting every day not business days

The postal service is working on weekends. There is even a skeleton staff at the terminals on holidays.

They are not open to the public, picking up or delivering mail.

But the mail stream does move on weekends.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

feedback

these people may work in the bigger centers ,but for small town Alberta they do not work on weekends not ever. The outlet here in a small town works 9 to 4 mon to Fri weekends holidays are all taken off, any how . you were right the seller never gave me a chance ,a message nothing prior to putting that neg mark on the feed back ,and being my first it really upset me . I do as much as I possibly can to make sure that all buyers are 100% happy ,not all thing s are possible, but a chance to do something to remedy the situation first would have made a big difference. Even if it costs me to fix it , I think everyone should give each other the chance to fix any issues that may arrise. I would have expedited another set of stones to this person but he chose to do the Neg route first. I refunded him and told him to keep the item for free for waiting so long but this was not good enough. oh well it is what it is now I am more careful with Buyers . I had a return that came in from someone trying to resize a ring that was damaged beyond sell ability.and I refunded immediately when the person asked to send it back , but now because of that situation I learned to wait in some cases until the item gets back. thank you for your input .I appreciate your comments .All comments are welcome good or bad as this is all a part of the learning process as a seller . m

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

feedback

You didn't say how long the buyer did wait but it sounds as if the feedback was correct as he hadn't received his item yet.  The only way ebay would remove that comment is if you had delivery confirmation proving that the item was delivered when the feedback was left.  Unfortunately, ebay has no way of protecting you from anxious customers unless you follow the seller protections rules. Because tracking services are so expensive here, many of us do take a chance and ship without tracking and realize that we are on our own if there is a problem because ebay has no way of knowing if a buyer actually received an item.

When I'm sending items to the U.S. I generally send a message to the buyer after I mail the item and give them a realistic estimated arrival time. Many buyers don't even notice that they are purchasing from another country and/or do not realize how long delivery can take so I look at it as giving them a heads up.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

feedback

Thanks for some of your other advise ,I have only been selling since March and a buyer for a few years. I am learning you cannot please everyone ,and it seems though  ,the buyer always gets the slack from ebay no matter how hard you try to correct something . I will take and use some of your advice as I see how it can help me . thank you kindly for your input 

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

feedback

Here is a link to some form letters I use when I have negatives and neutrals as the first indication of a problem. Historically they have worked well... feel free to use whatever works for your situations down the road....

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Neutral-Negative-ratings-or-threats-thereof-the-form-lett...

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

feedback

Well, yes and no. When you go to Canada post as of Friday night, you can mail your item, but it isn't actually picked up by the trucks to be sorted till Monday morning. And if there is a holiday to add to that, it isn't picked up till Tuesday and that's Friday night, Saturday, Sunday and Monday and then Tuesday your package is picked up to be sorted. In other words, that's 5 days that the package you mailed out on Friday has been just sitting around going nowhere.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

feedback

" that's 5 days that the package you mailed out on Friday has been just sitting around going nowhere."

That has nothing to do with this discussion.  The buyer posted negative feedback over one month after purchasing the item. There was no holiday that week (first week of May).  There was a one day holiday near the end of May.

The problem here is simple: the seller is blaming the buyer for the delay suggesting the item would have been received earlier if the buyer was willing to pay two or three times the low value of the item to have it sent by a different shipping method.

Blaming the buyer is something that does not work in the mail order business.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

feedback

I'm not blaming the buyer, just clarifying the whole delay when it comes to Canada post and Holidays. 

Buyer should have contacted seller prior to leaving negative feedback. The mail isn't always the sellers fault and sometimes the negatives are unwarranted.

But yes, live and learn and move on. You cant change it now anyhow.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply