found the source of all the late shipping nonsense

Ok recently have had a bunch of late shipping reports and INR claims like the rest of us.

Here is the reason:

This example is a music cassette  that ships to more countries than we usually ship to.( *** = dont normally ship to)

These are the shipping durations to various destinations from Winnipeg using Canada Post lettermail with 2 day handling:

Canada 4-8

UK         5-8 ??**bleep**

Greece  5-9 ??**bleep**  *** Not realistic at all. We stopped shipping there because it always took way more than a month.

Japan    5-10

Belgium  6-10

Czech     6-10   ***

Spain      6-10

Sweden   6-10

Italy         6-11  ***

Norway    6-11

USA         7-11 ?? **bleep**, why is this more than all the above, better yet why are the above less than this?

Switzerland 5-12

Poland     6-12  ***

Australia  7-13

Brazil      9-19

Changing the handling time is not going to help. As soon as it is marked shipped the clock resets and starts counting as if the handling was 1 day to begin with.

Whoever decided these dates is completely useless and should not have a job there.

Message 1 of 41
latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

Not to mention that for foreign sellers selling on ebay.ca (like me), there's no option for economy shipping (gives more days), just standard shipping so unrealistic times also from Europe to Canada. 

Message 2 of 41
latest reply

Also, it has been noted elsewhere on the Boards that there is a discrepancy between the number of days outlined for transit time plus seller handling on the Item Listing page, and the number of days indicated on the Order Details page. The Order Details displays a shorter period of time, and may also forget to count stat holidays and/or weekends as non-business days. 

Message 3 of 41
latest reply

I don't know for sure if this applies to you, but pocomocomputing posted a system for those listing on .ca which could eliminate the problem.

I couldn't put it to the test because I list on .com.

It's close to the end of the thread:  Late shipment report.

Message 4 of 41
latest reply

How does a report of shipping defects is going to help?

Message 5 of 41
latest reply

Ah, I found the thread and pomocomputing post. If I get it right, selecting a particular kind of shipping doesn't trigger the shipping question for international buyers- all but American ones. Which are the ones that concern me the most Woman Frustrated 

Actually, all I really need is for ebay.ca to add "economy international shipping", it gives the 20-25 days span that allows my items to arrive to America/Canada/Australia on time. 

Message 6 of 41
latest reply

@trixee001 wrote:

Ah, I found the thread and pomocomputing post. If I get it right, selecting a particular kind of shipping doesn't trigger the shipping question for international buyers- all but American ones. Which are the ones that concern me the most Woman Frustrated 

Actually, all I really need is for ebay.ca to add "economy international shipping", it gives the 20-25 days span that allows my items to arrive to America/Canada/Australia on time. 

It sounds like I interpreted his post incorrectly.

I list on .com and  only US buyers get "The Question."  The ones that count.

Message 7 of 41
latest reply

Some solutions for listing on .ca that should work:

First change all handling times to 3 days. Do NOT mark lettermail as shipped right away. Ship by the original methods, Go to paypal directly, not through ebay to print shipping and  don't actually ship them the pretend ways shown here.

Scenario 1 (lettermail)

Change lettermail for Canada to economy, that will double your days to 16 in total, up from 8.

For USA: Change Canada post USA lettermail to Canada post small packet international that will get you 20 days in total, up from 11.

Everywhere else change Canada post international lettermail to Canada post USA lettermail and it will just say varied with no option to give the seller a late strike.

Scenario 2 (lettermail to Canada / light packet elsewhere)

On .ca change lettermail for Canada to economy, that will double your days to 16 in total, up from 8.

For USA: Change Canada post light packet to  Canada post small packet international that will get you 20 days in total, up from 11.

Everywhere else change Canada post light packet international to Canada post light packet USA and it will just say varied with no option to give the seller a late strike.

Scenario 2 (expedited parcell to Canada / small packet elsewhere)

On .ca leave expedited parcel to Canada alone.

For USA: Change Canada post small packet USA  to Canada post small packet international that will get you 20 days in total, up from 12.

Everywhere else change Canada post small packet international to Canada post small packet USA and it will just say varied with no option to give the seller a late strike.

If you are using tracked packed or xpresspost don't say so in the listing. Say it will be like scenario 2 or 3 since ebay sees tracked packet and xpresspost as super speed services and we have got INR cases opened prematurely because if it.

Now for the but. What will really happen when we actually  print the light, small or tracked packets through paypal? Usually the item is automatically marked as shipped so therefore they should know the real shipping service and start the clock accordingly.

Good luck everyone.

Message 8 of 41
latest reply

@trixee001 wrote:

Raphael is looking at getting that added on ebay.ca.

Message 9 of 41
latest reply

@maximus7001 wrote:

Now for the but. What will really happen when we actually  print the light, small or tracked packets through paypal? Usually the item is automatically marked as shipped so therefore they should know the real shipping service and start the clock accordingly.

Good luck everyone.

What matters is what you state in the ETA via the shipping service chosen. How you ship it should have no impact, and I've certainly not seen any evidence it does in any fashion. The system works by setting a delivery period based on your stated eta, then the tracking is used to confirm if it was shipped (acceptance scan) or delivered within that period.

Message 10 of 41
latest reply

In the meantime, I used Maximus suggestion on one of my listing and it worksWoman Very Happy

Now when I log in from ebay.com and ebay.it  (both gave unrealistic estimated times on my objects listed on ebay.ca) it says shipping varies for international delivery.

Now if I only could find a quick way to change the shipping method on all of my listings at once....

Message 11 of 41
latest reply

Hi, great advice. I am just trying to figure out:

For USA: Change Canada post small packet USA to Canada post small packet international that will get you 20 days in total, up from 12.

I somehow cannot get 20, even with small packets international - ground it gives 6 to 14 business days.

How did you get 20?
Message 12 of 41
latest reply

It was many months back, sometime last year, that I pointed out to Raphael about the delivery times. I was roundly dissed.

I point out, to him, that many of those times are actually for when the packet exits Customs. There was much sputtering, um, er, and, ah.

4-8 days to the US? Really? I have several Small Packets going in the mail Monday from Dauphin. They then go by truck down to Winnipeg, enter the system Tuesday, Sorted. Catch a plane to Mississauga on Tuesday, with luck. Re-sorted Wed. Routed to Chicago Thursday.

Let's play [pretend that the crackerjack staff is on and it comes out Friday. That is already the fourth day. Even if the Small Packet was going to Chicago, it would not make it in four days.

Expedited in Canada, 1-7 days? Never possible. Impossible forever. I drop off an Expedited parcel in Dauphin and it is scanned in. Where is it going to get by Tuesday? Down to the plant in Winnipeg, is all. I will NEVER have one day in Canada.

Photobucket
Message 13 of 41
latest reply

"Hi, great advice. I am just trying to figure out:

For USA: Change Canada post small packet USA to Canada post small packet international that will get you 20 days in total, up from 12.

I somehow cannot get 20, even with small packets international - ground it gives 6 to 14 business days.

How did you get 20?"

You need to change your handling time to 3 days as well.

Message 14 of 41
latest reply

Originally I had 2 day handling and for the US I used small packet international ground and it gave me 6 to 14 business days.  

On your advice I changed it to 3 day handling time and for the US small packet international air and it gave me 7 to 20 days.  That works but makes no sense.  Why would international ground give me only 14 days and airmail gives me 20.  And the fact of changing it to 3 days handling add so many days.

However, whatever works, thanks maximus, for the information.  Now to change my 1,107 listings. 

All this trying to work around ebays  stupid system of measuring the postal delivery system and not the sellers.

Message 15 of 41
latest reply

Oops forgot to specify small packet international AIR. Forgot the air, very important, must be air not ground.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Message 16 of 41
latest reply

Thank you for your research and recommendations.

One question:

If I change my listings to 3 days handling but continue to ship within 1-2 days, will it be OK to mark ITEM SHIPPED on accurate day of shipment, i.e. earlier than 3 days. Or the clicking will start as soon as item is marked SHIPPED?

Message 17 of 41
latest reply

Thank you so much.  You must have spent hours figuring it out.  Thanks again,

Message 18 of 41
latest reply

@block36 wrote:

Thank you for your research and recommendations.

One question:

If I change my listings to 3 days handling but continue to ship within 1-2 days, will it be OK to mark ITEM SHIPPED on accurate day of shipment, i.e. earlier than 3 days. Or the clicking will start as soon as item is marked SHIPPED?

Good question! Buried in the Fall Seller Update (I think that's where it was) was something which may apply to Canadian sellers but possibly only for US Sellers. eBay stated that they would adjust the impact of a sellers handling time to reflect reality rather than what was stated. In the example they use a seller who has a 3 day handling time but actually always ships in 1 day would have their estimated delivery time adjusted to reflect this.

I tried to find this mention but I had no luck.

When I read that I quickly made the assumption that it was a preemptive measure directly targeted at the type of seller fudging being discussed in this thread, Most of the eBay rule changes in recent years have come about as a result of seller workarounds of the current rules. The whole new shipping metrics  are the result of some sellers making promises they didn't live up to (ie: uploading tracking immediately but not shipping for several days).

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 19 of 41
latest reply

Now we just have to revise 500 items (more than one seller account in 2 countries). This needs to be done asap since this is an active and ongoing issue and every sale of unrevised items will leave us open to more late strikes and possibly more premature INR claims. The 3 items we sold today are subject to this and may have issues.

Once a buyer opens a premature INR they are more likely to follow through with the claim even if the item turns up a day or 2 later especially when there is a language barrier. Reason being could be them trying to avoid overall embarrassment.

At least the .com fix for this is pretty straight forward for all scenarios:

USA = economy shipping from outside usa   (completely truthful)

Canada = economy shipping

<<<<<<<both completely truthful

Elsewhere = economy shipping

Message 20 of 41
latest reply