item strikes for stolen items

why does ebay give you strikes against you when buyer steals your items by saying never recieved

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Because the buyer did not receive his item.

Because you cannot show that he did.

Because you refused to refund him when he informed you (and eBay) that he had not received the item.

And maybe calling him a "jerkoff "was considered in the mix.

If you are worried about buyers putting in false claims, either use tracking or self-insurance.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Don't ship to some of the far eastern countries. For starters insurance/signature will cost much more than the items value. That alone should be a tipoff. I shipped without it and regret it. Of course if an item can't be delivered it follows the post office will return it to the sender. I'm still waiting. 

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."--Unknown
Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Bad luck with uninsured small packet to the US which I find unusual? Buyer 2 days ago reports not received an auction shipped 3 months ago. Besides that the buyer had left me good positive feedback. Buyer has until March 6 to escalate. Isn't there a 40 day time line involved in reporting? So far the buyer hasn't responded to my quoting him his feedback.

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."--Unknown
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Is it a paypal claim?

There is a 180 day claim window for claims on paypal. This just started in January for Canadians but a U.S. buyer would have used a U.S. paypal account and any purchase made after mid November is eligible to use it.

Have you contacted the buyer...perhaps they are confused?

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

So far the complaint has come through eBay but will be raised to PP if I don't refund by Mar 6th I guess. I have responded through Ebay back and forth and the buyer wants me to go after Canada Post. I tried to lodge a CP report but with no tracking number the format stalls out so I'm at the mercy of the great PP gods I suppose.

This extended 180 day window is wide open to fraud. This being the 2nd one shipped in November last. I'm so peeved this one can ride out the PP claim.Man Mad    

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

If he's opened a claim on ebay he shouldn't be able to open on Paypal.

You might want to check with cs but the way I understand it, the official rule is that an ebay claim can be opened until 30 days after delivery or expected delivery.  But apparently, ebay will let them open the claim for up to 60 days but will leave it up to the seller on how to handle it which means they won't step in if the buyer asks them to. But I've read that on other boards and can't remember if I also read it in the 'official' help pages so if you want to go that route, you should double check.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

I could be wrong but I thought the 30 day thing for INR claims was only that no defect would be issued but eBay can still force a refund without proof of delivery (as they should).

It's gotten quite confusing because there are different dates that affect different things and the way the time periods are calculated also differs.

It's a good thing I almost never have INR or SNAD claims.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 8 of 16
latest reply

I had forgotten about the defect part but I remember now too that they said after the 30 day limit there would be no limit. I believe that is true for a paypal claim too? I find it fairly confusing too.

Before defects a buyer opened a paypal claim on about day 60. The message from Paypal said that because the regular claim period was over they would not get involved. Maybe that's what I'm thinking of but it's anyone's guess as to what would happen now.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

For ten years I have shipped small packet without a problem until now two that were shipped last November. I'll post back when the latest is decided.

A Prayer:
Bless my friends, relatives and those that I care deeply for. Show them a new revelation of love and power. Where there is pain, give them peace and mercy. Where there is self-doubt, release a renewed confidence. Where there is need, I ask their needs to be fulfilled. Bless their homes, families, finances, their goings and their comings. Amen
Message 10 of 16
latest reply

I believe either the deadline had passed (if there ever was a legitimate one) or the buyer had received his auction already. The last correspondence with the buyer was a few days ago (after many) and then two days from the Mar 6 deadline an eBAY message:

"Please contact the buyer directly by either sending them an update on the delivery status of the item or if not, refund their payment. We've also asked the buyer to contact you in order to work things out."

Actually PP had never been mentioned. The first eBAY message over a week ago said:

"If you don't reply, or if the buyer isn't satisfied with the outcome by Mar 06, 2015, the buyer can escalate the case to eBay Customer Support.".

So maybe it's over or maybe not, how confusing? Is eBAY CS assuming the role of PP escalations? Maybe as PP is to be sold off.

I think I said in an earlier post this was a US buyer auction. No it was Brazil. 

A Prayer:
Bless my friends, relatives and those that I care deeply for. Show them a new revelation of love and power. Where there is pain, give them peace and mercy. Where there is self-doubt, release a renewed confidence. Where there is need, I ask their needs to be fulfilled. Bless their homes, families, finances, their goings and their comings. Amen
Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@kmilton2p wrote:

I believe either the deadline had passed (if there ever was a legitimate one) or the buyer had received his auction already. The last correspondence with the buyer was a few days ago (after many) and then two days from the Mar 6 deadline an eBAY message:

"Please contact the buyer directly by either sending them an update on the delivery status of the item or if not, refund their payment. We've also asked the buyer to contact you in order to work things out."

Actually PP had never been mentioned. The first eBAY message over a week ago said:

"If you don't reply, or if the buyer isn't satisfied with the outcome by Mar 06, 2015, the buyer can escalate the case to eBay Customer Support.".

So maybe it's over or maybe not, how confusing? Is eBAY CS assuming the role of PP escalations? Maybe as PP is to be sold off.

I think I said in an earlier post this was a US buyer auction. No it was Brazil. 

The buyer filed through ebay's Money Back Guarantee program that started last year. Buyers can file with paypal or with ebay.

There is a link on the bottom of the page for the MBG

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Have heard nothing further so I guess the Brazil saga has ended in my favour. But isn't Brazil where the nuts come from? 

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Brazil is a large and wealthy country with a strong middle and upper class which has 'Western' levels of affluence.

And a third world postal and customs service.

Delays are endemic. Buyers may be aware of the problem, but are also kinda entitled due to their affluence.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

I used to have quite a few brazillian customers and I cannot remember once having a problem extend beyond 21 days with small packet air.

And they where always fun to have as customers....Oh how I still miss the old Ebay when people actually communicated instead of finding a pull down to say what you want.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

Got notice from Brazil customer received so case closed. Postal outlet told me probably went by boat instead of air. This happens at Xmas when overloaded they told me, throw the minor parcels on a boat/ground. No such good news from India and probably won't be. 

Message 16 of 16
latest reply