migration tool

I have tried the migration tool and it was a mess.    

Can anyone help by telling me why it loads double the amount of listings I actually have?   and why it shows them all in USD when 50% are in CAD ???

Please Mod's  pull the plug on this for a while.     Put the 'move to .com' option in the dropdown  list on individual listings (under actions).   It will be  slower, but accurate.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

migration tool

You are right this migration tool is a disaster . Doubled up on pictures , double listed , relisted items that had previously been sold . Stop for awhile until it has been fully site tested .
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

migration tool

Anonymous
Not applicable

It is a JOKE to think eBay needs to invent a new tool something like this.  Why not just simple add conversion in Edit Bulk that we can click to change from USA to Canada which we need but NO, eBay needs to do something unnecessarily like migration tool which is insane.  I cannot trust those kind of thing.  I knew it happens like this.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

migration tool

Onthe other hand, it doesn't support Macs at all.

So I either do my changes one at a time, or hope they figure it out.

But yes, simply allowing us to change USD to CDN currency on the current Bulk Relisting form, would have encouraged sellers to stay on dotCA.

If I have to do these manually, I may as well go whole hog and switch over to dotCOM entirely.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

migration tool

I agree the migration tool sucks - ie - certainly leaves a LOT to be desired.

I have to admit I was expecting a more efficient way to "migrate" listings and all I want to do is convert my USD Canada listings to CAD.

Thank goodness I'm not trying to use it to actually "migrate" listings from ca to dot com.

It brings up both sold and unsold listings, not to mention duplicates of active listings.

femme - I was expecting to see more of a 'bulk editor' type screen I have to admit. This thing is hopeless. Guess I'm back to doing them manually one by one as they end.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

migration tool

I have tried moving listings from one of my accounts and something is wrong. I got as far as the processing part and I wait and wait and wait. I will have to go back to that webinar and see if I'm doing anything wrong. Bugger!

Just as a note. I am absolutely   that I have to move from .CA to .COM because I want to list in USD.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

migration tool

Yep, I just tried this and discovered that it moved ALL of my listings (including sold items) into drafts on eBay.com.

So now I have hundreds of drafts and they are all mixed up and there is no sort function.

Just got off of the phone with eBay "customer service" and they told me the only solution is to go through ALL of these drafts and manually sort which are actually items that should be resisted...

I have since gone back on eBay.ca a reactivated ALL of my listings in $USD. I have emailed their twitter@ebay.com email to tell them that this is my resolution to THEIR PROBLEM. I used that email since that is the only way I can find to communicate with a human being...........

This entire push to change over is complete non-sense. For years the eBay propaganda was to list in $USD since US buyers prefer to buy in their native currency. For those of you keeping score at home, the US market is 10x that of Canada so it's kind of no-brainer...

THEN came the brainwave! They noticed a huge surge in sell through on listings in $CAD. Know the timeframe of that surge?? It was the 6 month window beginning Q4 2015 when the $CAD imploded. So yeah, if you had items listed in $CAD every day they were getting cheaper and cheaper!!! 

So after years of being told listing in $USD gets your more sales they then changed their tune based on only 6 months of sales data!!!?? COME ON!!!!!!

Listing in $CAD is a gigantic disadvantage and here's why. As previously mentioned the US market is 10x Canada. So, by that logic there is 10x the competition. Ok, so what? Well, if you list in $CAD which is comparable to the equivalent prices in $USD from day to day you could either be under or over-priced as the exchange rate fluctuates. 

So that means that either you're less competitive if the $CAD gains strength one day and then the next if the $CAD weakens you're less profitable as your US counterparts selling the same items.

This whole thing is a gigantic debacle and really should have been thought through a lot better..........

That's my rant.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

migration tool

WHAT A DISASTER! After leaving 4 "call me back" messages over the previous five days I finally gave up & phoned & waited & waited & got a very nice person that admitted she didn't know anything about it. She arranged to call me back in one hour(when it opened) & put me through to the DEPARTMENT that knew "all about it" & she did. He hadn't a clue about it & passed me to Mike. POOR Mike! He also didn't know about it & told me that they just have the report & walk through. They can't even SEE the screen! So we both muddled about for well over an hour & I'm still cleaning up the mess today! They managed to include sold  listings in with the "ended" listings without any way to delete so you have to use "active" listings. There they have no dates, random order, no drop down menus that work,  page selection arrows that don't work & to boot, you're listing active listings so they'll probably figure out a way to smack us for dual listing violations! Your only chance is to open a new window in .ca & delete as you go. Seriously Ebay  my 16 year old grandson would have done a better job! Who comes up with these ridiculous ideas & then goes head long into it without having everything in place. We pay a lot of Ebay fees for this frustration! Etsy & amazon are looking better & better!

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

migration tool

Not a clue. I have the same number of listings in both "active" & "ended" status. In the ended status it has included solds from who knows how long ago.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

migration tool

Does it allow you to move a little at a time or do you have to move all listings at once?

Thanks!

You only fail when you don't try!
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

migration tool

Ya I just tried to moved one listing to ebay.com to test it out. Thank god I did.....I have to go through thousands of listing individually and redo condition, sales tax, returns on every single one? What the heck eBay. What happens if we don't do this? They should be doing it automatically on there end if its a issue. But they cant because its going to screw with every seller account cause it cant be done easily or properly. 

And why the heck do I have to end the .ca listings after they've been moved to .com, it should be ended when they are moved!......A team or people came up with this? Thanks Bay Canada, bunch of clever people.  

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

migration tool

I would have thought that they would be updating the tool based on all the complaints but I guess not 😞

You only fail when you don't try!
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

migration tool

I am totally frustrated with migration tool as well....am starting to list manually on .com...slow but accurate.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply