"Ship Notification" Emails for Light Packet?

I'm all of a sudden getting these "Ship Notification of Item" emails from Canada Post for my USA Light Packets.

It has this line in it, "You are receiving this email at the request of Stephen "Last Name ;)" (Me) to provide you with updates on the progress of this shipment." I didn't request anything....

So, I'm getting the email as a notice from myself on the progress of something that isn't track-able? Or is my customer also getting one? This has to be new and I don't even get one for all the Light Packets sent.....I don't get it or the point.

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

got one today as well. 

that's just ebay and canada post, being ebay and canada post. 

never mind that they are multibillion dollar corporatons.

They're just making sure that you know that the package you just dropped off at the post office is received and will be shipped. Just in case you forgot that you dropped it off. 

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

I wonder what the reason is for only getting 2 messages out of the 4 LP USA's I sent out though?

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

Yes, same thing happened to me. Only 1 of the 3 LIght Packets was emailed. Weird.
Message 4 of 25
latest reply

I'm wondering if the same or similar email is going to your customer. That would do you more good.

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

I'm wondering if the same or similar email is going to your customer. That would do you more good.

you should point that out to canada post :). Just say it casually, like..

"hey, this email notification telling me you are shipping the item I just dropped off at the post office is great and all, but I kind of know that I dropped it off. Mayyyyybeeeee... you can email the recipient of the package that it's on it's way...Kay? 

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

I also got the same email for the very first time today (Have been selling on Ebay for over seven years).  Why would Canada post notify me about something I just paid for ????  It would seem this kind of notice should go to the buyer, not the seller.  Just another example that Canada post is falling apart ????Smiley Sad

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

Did anyone find out if these emails are also going to buyer? I'm now getting them for my expedited parcels also.

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

I believe there is a note in Paypal Shipping that says an email will be sent to the buyer. They do not always go out, buyers do not get them, buyers look in the wrong email account, what ever.

These ones just sound like they are going in the wrong direction.

How surprising.

Photobucket
Message 9 of 25
latest reply

@forester_studios wrote:

I also got the same email for the very first time today (Have been selling on Ebay for over seven years).  Why would Canada post notify me about something I just paid for ????  It would seem this kind of notice should go to the buyer, not the seller.  Just another example that Canada post is falling apart ????Smiley Sad

It is not Canada Post falling apart, this is Pitney Bowes in action.

Got one today for an expedited parcel (bought via paypal).

1st message (event - postage bought):

You are receiving this email at the request of PITNEY BOWES DANBURY CT to provide you with updates ...

2nd message (event - originate scan):

You are receiving this email at the request of the shipper to provide you with updates ...

To-do list for Canada Post:

* lose the generic "shipper" and provide the requestor's name for all messages.

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:

I believe there is a note in Paypal Shipping that says an email will be sent to the buyer. They do not always go out, buyers do not get them, buyers look in the wrong email account, what ever.

Those paypal emails are only sent if the seller actually enters a message for the buyer. Nothing to do with Canada Post.

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

Dennis... that's not so. I never left a message for buyer!

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

It is not a Paypal email, it is from Canada Post. Has anyone called Canada Post about this?

I am now forwarding them to the buyer just in case they are not getting them.

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

From what I've observed so far, this is Canada Post beta testing email tracking updates for packages.

For comparison purposes:

FedEx has a tracking update system.

Anyone who has access to the tracking number can set up email updates on the FedEx website. It does not have to be the original shipper. Any email address can be selected.

Messages can be sent in 3 different formats with a choice of 27 languages.

Sent when triggered by 4 types of events:

Tendered -- my supplier has FedEx send me a message when my shipment is picked up, the message comes with tracking number details

Current Status -- scans along the way

Exceptions -- problems/delays along the way

Delivered -- when it arrived and who signed. I select to have this one sent to me, helps me keep my mis-delivered paranoia happy. Smiley Tongue

It would be nice if Canada Post could manage to come up with something as flexible. And perfect world would allow shippers via paypal the choice of who (if any) gets what message.

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

@nan*55 wrote:

Dennis... that's not so. I never left a message for buyer!

Paypal messages are sent by paypal on behalf of the seller.

These shipment messages are being sent by Canada Post.

Two different things.

Message 15 of 25
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

From what I've observed so far, this is Canada Post beta testing email tracking updates for packages.

CP has had email tracking updates for years, this really does sound like another Pitney-Bowes screw-up (why am I not surprised?).

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 16 of 25
latest reply

Just printed two domestic Expedited and received the emails "You are receiving this email at the request of PITNEY BOWES DANBURY CT".

I sure hope they are not sending these to my buyers!

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 17 of 25
latest reply

Actually the 2 that I have received were both from Canada Post with no mention of PITNEY BOWES DANBURY CT.

The emails stated that they had been sent at my request.  Both packages were shipped to overseas destinations.  I don't have a problem with receiving them as long as Canada Post is also sending them to the buyers.  Just seems to be another out of the blue change, like the sudden need for HS Codes.

Too bad no one at Canada Post/ Ebay/ Paypal cares enough to tell the sellers about the reasons for these sudden changes.

Message 18 of 25
latest reply

The first notice I got (acceptance) mentioned Pitney-Bowes, the subsequent ones said at the request of the shipper. One of mine had another scan this afternoon but I did not get a notice so perhaps they have turned them off.

Message 19 of 25
latest reply

I have been getting those,also and today I made up a label thru PayPal for an Etsy sale and the label has "VIN eBay" on the lower left hand corner..Go figure.

Message 20 of 25
latest reply