" Shipping cost cannot be calculated. Please enter a valid Postal Code."

I've started receiving this message on all of my items when attempting to get a postage rate for a U.S. zip code. My listings have always been set to automatically calculate for Expedited parcel for Canada and the U.S. Buyers have been emailing me asking my shipping rates for the U.S. because they are getting the same error. I haven't changed anything and use the same shipping policy for all listings. Is this a bug? No U.S. buyers can see my shipping rates and I am manually having to find a rate upon sending them an invoice. Is anybody else experiencing the same issue?? I have no idea what the problem could be as I have said, I haven't changed anything and they were working fine a few days ago!!

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Quite often when there is a problem with the shipping calculator, the wrong information is being entered.

Unfortunately if you put in the wrong measurement for a service and or use a service that doesn't exist in that

country, the calculator won't warn you.

Out of all your current and completed listings, I only see 1 time when U.S. shipping was calculated and that's for the ipod. All of the other listings say shipping not specified. If you are using expedited U.S. the most common problem is putting in smaller measurements than what is allowed. The minimum is different for Canada Expedited and the U.S. expedted so just because the Canadian shipping is working doesn't mean that U.S. expedited is going to work as well.

The minimum dimensions for expedited parcels within Canada are 10cm x 7cm x 1 mm   

The minimum dimensions for USA expedited parcel are 21 x 14 x 0.5 CM

Tracked packet USA and small packet USA allow smaller packages -140 mm x 90 mm x 1 mm  Maximum 1 kg

If that's not the problem let us know.

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

Thanks for the information on sizes, this fixed my listing. I do however resent the statement that "the wrong information is being entered". This is a problem with the eBay site and you should fix it, I'm sure I've missed a lot of interest in my current items not to mention the time I've spent dealing with all the emails and manual calculations. While the tech team are adding information/validation to the item listing process, perhaps they could also fix the error message which tells all the buyers they are entering an invalid zip code. Bugs, bugs...

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

depp259
Community Member
I'm having please enter a valid postal code pop up when I'm submitting my item to sell. What is the issue?
Message 4 of 22
latest reply

You are registered in the U.S. Are you trying to list on .com or .ca?

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

worrly
Community Member

I had the same problem with a best offer customer. I sent her an invoice as I'm not sure how to fix it after she already had a best offer accepted. Hopefully she can pay via invoice.

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

depp259
Community Member
It was on my app in my phone. I've always used the eBay app. And I'm in the U.S.
Message 7 of 22
latest reply

This is a ebay.ca discussion board so if you are trying to list on the Canadian site and you are in the U.S., that might be the problem. You would have to sign out of this site and sign into the ebay.com site. I have no idea how that works on an app.

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

She was able to pay after I sent an invoice. 

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

I have the same issue trying to set up shipping to USA

Item 111614442278

Size 49 inches by 5 inches by 5 inches

Weight 6 lbs.

Ebay.ca calculator is quite screwy as it asks for weight in metric and size in inches.  Could it be where it is asking in inches it is really expecting in metric?

The button to change to imperial doesn't seem to do anything.

Ken

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

Don't use imperial.

Canada Post went metric in 1974. Any other measurements are approximate and probably inaccurate.

And mixing the two just makes the gnomes that run the programs sit in the corner sulking.

Change the imperial button to metric.

That should correct it.

Umm. It is possible that such a large parcel, well over a metre in total, is too large to be sent by post. Check on canadapost.ca.

In metric.

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

The package should be ok size wise for expedited USA but you do need to put all of the dimensions in either metric or imperial...metric would probably be best.

The Canadian postage is working so the dimensions/weight must be in either all metric or all imperial.

What service did you set up for worldwide as I don't see any shipping prices there. I'm not that familiar with shipping larger packages but I think that all countries would have shipping with international surface which isn't often recommended as it can take 6 - 10 weeks and buyers tend to get antsy waiting that long.  I'm not sure of the dimensions of international air but only some countries have that service and others have xpresspost international. Both services are very expensive.

Here is some info on weights etc.

http://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGpsus_int-e.asp

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

sherboi
Community Member

I can't enter a Zip Code. The option is not there.. this is driving me batty!. and then of course i get an error message that I have entered an invalid Postal Code.

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

How long is your Sell Your Item form?

New sellers are being defaulted to the short form. That may be the problem.

I've been around so long my Advanced SYI  is carved in stone and I don't know where to find the Advanced Form. But it may be on the dropdown menu under SELL.

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

24semi
Community Member

I have been successfully using the app for posting my listings and recently started receiving these messages, I live in Canada, what is going on with this .

Message 15 of 22
latest reply

@24semi wrote:

I have been successfully using the app for posting my listings and recently started receiving these messages, I live in Canada, what is going on with this .

If you copied a message that a buyer wrote you then the mod deleted it since you aren't supposed to do that on the boards but I'll assume that buyers are telling you they can't buy because there is no shipping cost listed...is that right?

I've never listed with the app so can't address that specifically but I do know that some people have said it is much better to list on a pc. Many of your listings do not show a shipping cost for any countries including Canada. Some that do have a Canada shipping cost do not have costs for any other countries.  It's difficult to know what is going on when there are many listings and countries involved but if you view your items as a buyer does you can see which items don't have shipping listed...do those items have something in common? What shipping service are they set up for? You can see what buyers in other countries see why changing your shipping location to another country.

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

@communityprinters*com wrote:

I have the same issue trying to set up shipping to USA

Item 111614442278

Size 49 inches by 5 inches by 5 inches

Weight 6 lbs.

Ebay.ca calculator is quite screwy as it asks for weight in metric and size in inches.  Could it be where it is asking in inches it is really expecting in metric?

The button to change to imperial doesn't seem to do anything.

Ken

I don't know why you are seeing one thing in metric and one in imperial but can you change them both to one method..preferably metric?    If you are trying to set it up for expedited USA then you have to change the measurements slightly as the ones you listed are below the minimum for expedited - USA 21 x 14 x 0.5 CM.           8.25x5.5"     

If you are using imperial, change your second number to 5.5". 

CP Expedited within Canada allows smaller packages than the USA version so that's why the calculator will work for domestic transactions but not for the U.S.

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

I'm sorry, I just realized that I gave you a different answer today than the other day and I'm probably confusing you as well as myself!

It's possible that the total dimensions for that package are just a bit too big for expedited USA although you might be able to fudge the figures a bit to make it work.  I don't want to give you any more wrong info so please look at the following page and it will give you all of the info for the dimensions of that service.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/business/productsservices/shipping/expeditedparcelusa.jsf?mode=web

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

I am having the same problem...

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

Have never used calculated shipping in all the years I have been a seller on eBay, whether listing on dotCA or dotCOM. I have always used flat rate shipping for Domestic and USA shipments as well as some International destinations. I have a strong knowledge of shipping costs from experience collected and gathered from calculations, weights and measures of shipments over the years and my shipping costs have remained rather uniform for many years now as I know the costs involved. I use my flat rate shipping costs method for both dotCA and dotCOM. Way easier than messing around with calculated shipping that can be frustrating and unreliable at the best of times.I no longer ship many Expedited Parcels but for those items that require it, I still use flat rate shipping costs. These days most of my items get shipped Tracked Packet, Small Packet and oversize Lettermail.

However all sellers must take the path that works best for them and their shipping methods. My method has served me well over the years, remains reliable and I have never had the need to change as what I do works well for me with no problems.

Message 20 of 22
latest reply