recently I am getting this error on Canada post shipping label.

Error Message

We are not able to generate your label at this time. Your PayPal account was not charged. Please try again later.

• The sender's city length cannot be greater than 24 characters.

How can they say the length is to long but use it as a verified address.. 

How do people shorten address without having a problem of the shipment being returned to you because it is an invalid address.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Canada Post has a list of accepted abbreviations for cities with long names that might not fit mailing programs.

Here is the web page for Quebec.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/business/productsservices/atoz/quebec.jsf

Here is the entry for your city (original, then 13 character abbreviation then 18 character abbreviation.

SAINT-BONIFACE-DE-SHAWINIGAN     ST-BONIF-SHAW     ST-BONIFACE-D-SHAW

What is really important is the Postal Code and the city name is almost not relevant.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

"How can they say the length is to long but use it as a verified address.."

Two totally different companies handling the information.

1) the "verified" or "confirmed" address is a PayPal process, governed by PayPal with no limitation to the size of the address line.

2) the processing and printing of postage labels is managed by Pitney Bowes under contract from eBay (PayPal is only the paying agent here).  Pitney Bowes does have a restriction on the number of character that can be used.  It is generally easy to use abbreviation to solve that problem (for example: Saint becomes St, etc...).

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I don't think I can shorten it( *edit* as it already seems shortened) on recent ones I've been bringing it into post office and letting them do it but I would rather just do it at home it's allot easier. Is there any way I can get by the max characters... 

this is were i'm trying to ship

St-Boniface de Shawinigan 

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@videogamezstore wrote:

I don't think I can shorten it( *edit* as it already seems shortened) on recent ones I've been bringing it into post office and letting them do it but I would rather just do it at home it's allot easier. Is there any way I can get by the max characters... 

this is were i'm trying to ship

St-Boniface de Shawinigan 

Just chop a few characters of the end..... NOBODY will every be looking at the City name when you have the right Postal Code. You could in fact forget to put any city/town name and it would not affect delivery one bit.

Actually it turns out that in 2003 St-Boniface officially dropped the "de Shawinigan" part of their name!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint-Boniface,_Quebec

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Canada Post has a list of accepted abbreviations for cities with long names that might not fit mailing programs.

Here is the web page for Quebec.

Here is the entry for your city (original, then 13 character abbreviation then 18 character abbreviation.

SAINT-BONIFACE-DE-SHAWINIGAN     ST-BONIF-SHAW     ST-BONIFACE-D-SHAW

What is really important is the Postal Code and the city name is almost not relevant.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I was going to suggest reaking it up into 2 lines like this:

St-Boniface-de-

Shawinigan

Then I looked on google and found this:

Saint-Boniface is a municipality in the Mauricie region of the province of Quebec in Canada.

On April 5, 2003, the village municipality of Saint-Boniface-de-Shawinigan changed its legal status and its name and became the municipality of Saint-Boniface.[4]

And this:  Canada Post Municipality Abreviations - Quebec

SAINT-BONIFACE-DE-SHAWINIGANST-BONIF-SHAWST-BONIFACE-D-SHAW
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

alright thanks for all the help guys!

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

i have a simple but effective solution 
all you have to do is remove  the city and state |
then print out your label and pen the city and state 
on your label 
did this several times with no issues

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

How do people shorten address without having a problem of the shipment being returned to you because it is an invalid address.

I cut the address down on the printed label and write the rest of the name on the label with a pen.

But the postal code trick is good too.

How long has it been since the City of Kanata, or of Etobicoke, or Scarborough existed?

Even before it was amalgamated my parent's home in the Township of Etobicoke was 'Toronto 14"

And if you write me in Victoria, I'll get the letter, even thought technically this is the City of Oak Bay.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply