replica stamps

Replica postage stamps need their own category. Lots - even those clearly marked as "fake" or "replica" - should not be showing up in a general search result. These items are starting to heavily pollute many categories. Why does ebay allow this? I think the majority of stamp collectors would appreciate NOT seeing fakes turn up in their search result. Besides, why are these items permitted in the first place? Replica coins are forbidden, so why not stamps? Ban the fakes completely.

Appreciate any feedback on this, thanks all.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

replica stamps

Okay, so maybe I am new. **bleep** are fake stamps?
Photobucket
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

replica stamps

73rhc
Community Member
Aren't fake stamps as illegal as a "fake" money?
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

replica stamps

A replicated stamp if clearly marked is not illegal. I's intent is not to defraud a collector and it will never be used as postage either. An example would be the famous U.S. inverted Jenny or Canada's inverted seaway issue. They are a novelty item.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

replica stamps

replica stamps

"Ban the fakes completely."

Fakes are banned.

Replicas are not fakes.  About forty years ago, replicas of Canadian stamps were produced by Jerry Parker and marketed by Kasimir Bileski.  Each replica contained one ounce of silver. They typically sell for $20 to $40 each today.

I think it is important to understand the difference between "replica" and fakes or forgeries.

The official policy for "stamps" listings can be found here:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/currstamps.html

Listings for stamps must follow these guidelines:
  • Include all relevant information that you know about the item, such as origin, date of issue, and condition.

• Include clear pictures of the actual item being sold. Stock photos and images that are dark, out of focus, edited, or misleading aren't allowed.

• All flaws or alterations to the item being sold that can't be seen in the pictures must be specified in the description of the listing.

• Include all information about any alterations that may have been made to the item.

• Individually identify every item listed to avoid misunderstandings about what is for sale.

• Don't make false or misleading claims of sales scarcity, value, condition or investment potential.

Not allowed :

• Counterfeit stamps

• Equipment for making counterfeit stamps

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

replica stamps

There is a part of philately that collects 'fakes, forgeries and cinderellas'.

These are NOT counterfeits, which are made to fool the postal system. That's what is very illegal. There were some booklet stamps going around a few years ago which were at first seized upon by collectors of varieties, before it was proven that they were in fact counterfeits printed in one of the Baltic States. (I'm vague on the details, not being a dealer or collector of stamps myself).

Fakes, forgeries and cinderellas are made to fool collectors. Some are very good, some are actually collected and exhibited as a sub-category. The most famous of those are the Sperati Forgeries. There are books about those.

Then there are 'replicas". I have some of those for sale from time to time. They can vary from solid silver to gold plated to bronze medallions - there are some Franklin Mint ones that are beautifully done- to metallic ink on paper, to paper copies usually in a larger size of the original.

Then there are 'reprints', usually done by a postal system from the original plates for sale to collectors, rather than for postal use. This practice started in the 19th century.

Since the value of a stamp is even more ephemeral than that of coins, which have a melt value as well as a face value and a collectible/catalog value, philatelists are pretty calm about all these; as long as they are properly described.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

replica stamps

When there was a separate Canadian Stamp Museum, they had an Inverted Seaway on display (screwed down under plastic). It got stolen regularly.

And the staff got out the exacto-knife and made another.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

replica stamps

@femmefan1946 wrote:

When there was a separate Canadian Stamp Museum, they had an Inverted Seaway on display (screwed down under plastic). It got stolen regularly.

And the staff got out the exacto-knife and made another.

Just goes to prove that ya can'r cure stupid.

Photobucket
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

replica stamps

It is also important to make a distinction between "fake" or "forgery" and reprints.

Reprints are quite legitimate, most of the time.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

replica stamps

I forgot to say, I was looking at the copies and the honest dealers sell them for what they are, novelties, album fillers, etc. They are marked on the back as such.

Other sellers, well, they hide a word in the title and do not mention anything in the description. Yeah, right.

At some level it is "so what?". It has been said that there are more 1969 Camaro RS/SS's running around today than Chevy ever built. You can build an entire car from aftermarket parts including the body. In the car business they do not use words like: fake, copy, faux, etc. They use the word "tribute". Every seller keeps hoping for that one sucker who does not know what tribute means.

Photobucket
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

replica stamps

If "replica" stamps are permitted, then they at least need a separate category. If a buyer is scrolling through "Stamps>Canada" there shouldn't be replicas showing up. Replicas are NOT stamps. 

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

replica stamps

One time I purchased replica stamps, they were printed on regular computer paper. So I can print stamps and sell them as replica stamps? This is what I received and paid for, this is acceptable?
Message 13 of 13
latest reply