sale or gift

To my surprise, my local postal clerk did not help with this question. When shipping to US or international spots, the shipping form has a box to check. Is this item a gift or sale? What is the reason for asking and what would be the consequence, if any, of saying "gift" on an eBay sale item? Thanks for help.

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

sale or gift

An eBay sale is not a gift, you sold it and did not give it away. Gift items in many countries have a higher tax and duty free limit so falsifying it as a gift when it is a sale may avoid these taxes or duties if applicable.  Customs may catch this and charge the buyer anyway.

Customs fees and taxes are the responsibility of the buyer and eBay supports sellers on this.

So best to not use the gift option.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

sale or gift

My form that has to be filled out only has four options: Gift, Sample, Documents and Other Documentation. The postal clerk checked off gift when I told him it was an eBay sale.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

sale or gift

The clerk was wrong.

It is OTHER.

Then-- when you are making out a Paypal shipping form*-- you are asked what it is you sold and are shipping.

*which is a good idea and will save you  5% to 18%  on many  over the PO counter rates, not to mention dealing with undertrained PO clerks.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

sale or gift

I also had to put what was in there (description and value). Next time I will tell him "other". Shouldn't they know? They work there...not me.

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

sale or gift

I used PayPal shipping (printed a form) which gave me a tracking # and it is lost. The tracking says "Item not found" and I had to refund the person who bought the shirt from me because I don't know where it is. I told her if it comes back to me I will resend it but as of now I don't know anything. Will not use PayPal shipping labels again.
Message 6 of 19
latest reply

sale or gift

Where or how you print a label has no relation to a package getting lost or not being scanned.

Was the label light or small packet? If so, neither of them have delivery confirmation and have no scanning

code so even if you had purchased the label at the post office, there would be no way to track it.

If you used another Canada Post service that has delivery confirmation, then it should have insurance included and you can make a claim with CP.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

sale or gift

It was not an error of paypal shipping. Your problem started when it was not scanned in at the post office. You have to make sure that it gets scanned in.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

sale or gift

@jg01302 wrote:

Shouldn't they know? They work there

OMG, thank you so much for a hearty Good Morning belly laugh! Totally no disrespect meant to you mate.

Canada Post employees are amongst the most surly, poorly trained, uneducated and just over-all douchenozzle employees that you will find anywhere. Although they might know something sometimes, expecting them to know anything is only going to get you disappointed many times. In Toronto they are only exceeded by TTC employees for their poor workplace performance and level of monetary over-compensation.

This actually happened and will illustrate what I mean. Once a few months ago we had no mail delivery for 2 days. I called CP to find out what was up/complain, and the customer service person told me, and I quote, "The mail delivery people are not required to deliver mail to your neighborhood every day so mail not showing up for 2 days in a row is nothing to worry about"

When I called her on this nonsense she actually had the nerve to argue with me as she was 100% certain she was right, lol.

Unfortunately, people of that intelligence level are more the norm than the exception at CP.

Recently, with the new HS Code requirement being added to shipping labels I got another chuckle when I went to the post office with my first package with thew new code in place and the person at the counter had no idea what I was talking bout when I, out of curiosity, asked how many people were coming in without the new HS code in place on their packages and if they were complaining when told they would shortly have to pay $2 per package if they didn't have to code in place. Absolutely no clue!

Ya hafta love union jobs where under performance and overpayment is encouraged, lol...

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

sale or gift

Unions love mediocrity.   No  hassles about paying union dues.  Just sheep following each other while the union leaders go to meetings , conventions and have a high time on the workers money.

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

sale or gift

Why print a shipping label if I have to go to the post office anyway? I will just go there and mail it from now on. I made sure to read about it on PayPal before I did it and it said to just drop it in a mailbox.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

sale or gift

Opinionated, cliched comments like these about unions add nothing to this discussion. CP prices and service levels are established by management and government levels. The CP unionized workers who deliver and sort mail are not to blame for rising prices and reduced service. My post is delivered 5 days a week in all weather!!!

Also, for your information, most of  the postal service outlets  in malls, stores are run by NON UNION  store owners or employees. These places are "franchised"  not official governmental CP outlets. Their information about CP changes and practices is often limited. Rising CP costs and the reason for them should be our concern -not blanket statements about unions.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

sale or gift

@jg01302 wrote:

Why print a shipping label if I have to go to the post office anyway? I will just go there and mail it from now on. I made sure to read about it on PayPal before I did it and it said to just drop it in a mailbox.

You don't "have" to go to the post office. It's not common to have an item not be scanned although it can happen.. For some services Paypal shipping is less expensive but it is definitely your choice whether or not to use it.

You haven't said which service you used when you printed the label through Paypal...light packet, small packet, Expedite, Tracket Packet....?

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

sale or gift

@jg01302 wrote:

I'm afraid 'maximus' wasn't correct in that statement above. 

Yes, you can simply drop an item with a Paypal label in a mailbox (as long as it will fit through the slot/door).  You do not need to take it to the P.O. personally to make sure it gets scanned.  Scanning isn't available anyway for Light Packet and Small Packet services, even though Paypal labels can be done for those services.

If an item with true tracking doesn't get scanned for some reason at the receiving P.O., the parcel will be scanned along the way in any case, at different points in its travel.  If you click on the uploaded tracking # a day or so after dropping a tracked item in a post box, you'll be able to see the next point at which it was scanned in -- usually a sorting facility. 

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

sale or gift

I found that out today because the person got their item today. I'm glad to know it arrived...but I do not understand why PayPal provided me with a tracking number that did not work.

Message 15 of 19
latest reply

sale or gift

@jg01302 wrote:

I found that out today because the person got their item today. I'm glad to know it arrived...but I do not understand why PayPal provided me with a tracking number that did not work.

I don't understand why you won't answer which Canada Post shipping service you paid for.

btw, that label and tracking number is originated from Canada Post, not Paypal.

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

sale or gift

Some of what is interpreted as 'tracking' is either only a Delivery Confirmation number, although I believe most of those services have been upgraded to true 'tracking', or are internal invoice numbers which are basically part of Canada Post's bookkeeping system and have nothing to do with delivery.

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

sale or gift

Well, I guess cause it's none of your business.

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

sale or gift

PayPal (in the e-mail they sent me) said it was a tracking number. It was the same amount of digits as a tracking number but did not work.
Message 19 of 19
latest reply