seller performance issues

E-Bay's new Seller Performance standards may be a good idea for seller's in the long run but it's implementation has decreased my Performance Standards. I had a problem over the space of 24 hours from Oct.31st to Nov.1st 2014. A customer bought 9 items and couldn't pay for them because of a sudden job lost. I was contacted through my personal e-mail address instead of E-Bay messages. Personal e-mails are on Pay Pal so a knowledgeable buyer knows where to get this information. I had dealt with this buyer before and was asked if the items could be cancelled without it reflecting negatively on their account. I cancelled the nine items by indicating that I had previously sold the goods to someone else. At that time these cancellations didn't affect my performance standards. I was happy to help. The customer is always right and such an action may have resulted in acquiring a long-term repeat customer. More sales for me and more commission for E-Bay.

I was terribly wrong.

In August 2014, some nine months after this occurred, E-Bay puts in their new Seller Performance standards and hits me with 9 defects for the cancellations I made on November 1st 2013. My performance went from Top Rated Seller to Above Average the week of August 20th. Had I known that E-Bay would start using this type of historical data I would not have handled the situation like I did and not be such a 'good Samaritan'. Cancelling transactions in the past was only a problem if the buyer didn't agree to it.

Wait there's more.....

At the end of July 2014 I went to upload approximately 1,800 items with Turbo Lister 2. To my amazement and shock ALL pictures for these 1,800 items were gone. I called E-Bay and they put me through to a Turbo Lister technician. She didn't know why I lost my pictures but she knew the solution. She had me go to my "Unsold Items" history and sort them by date. She told me to use the items with the most recent date ensuring that the date was the same for all the items. I did this and copied them to a folder I created called "Restored Items July 2014". I used this folder and successfully uploaded all my listings.

Now it gets worst....

I didn't realize the time lag between my current listings on E-Bay and my "Unsold Items" history. My unsold items list was not current so I listed items I no longer had. I had to advise two customers that I had sold their item to someone else.

Subsequently, I reviewed my database and noticed items that were not there. I removed.

You'd think it would get better but it didn't...

With the New Seller Performance standards I was awarded another two defects which I felt were undeserved. This brings the defect rate for Cancelled Items to a total of 14 (3 cancellations were my fault). Of these 14 cancelled order defects I contested 11 of them.

I phoned E-Bay three times so far to resolve this issue. I find it unfair to introduce a new seller grading system based of situations that were allowable in the past and then to go back twelve months and to penalize sellers with defects on historical data on situations that were allowable then.

If my cancelled orders in November 2013 were allowable and didn't affect my seller performance then why so now??

My first phone call to E-Bay lasted one hour and thirty-five minutes.

I explained that the 9 defects from November should be removed and that the 2 defects in July were due to a glitch with Turbo Lister. My call was passed around to many departments and one E-Bay representative did confirm there were issues with Turbo Lister 2 in July. My 2 strikes were a direct result of losing all my pictures then having to use my "Unsold Items" listings. Despite this acknowledgement no decision could be made to remove my 11 defects. I was told that I would receive an e-mail from them with their decision within 1 to 2 days. I didn't get any response.

E-Bay must have hefty long distance charge...

My next call to E-Bay, again for the same problems, on August 26th 2014, lasted two hours and fifty minutes!! I must have talked to all the departments before I spoke with Marci in the Accounts department. I explained the situation again and she agreed with me that it was unfair to get 9 defects for something dating back so long but she wasn't in a position of authority to do anything. I was passed to Mark in the Escalation Department who listened and without saying as much certainly gave me the impression that the 11 defects would be removed. He explained that he had to get the approval of higher-ups and I would hear from him in 2 or 3 days.

2 days later...

I called back on August 28th, 2014. By now my current sale ending in 15 hours had resulted in 4 bids on 2,300 items. With my downgraded status my listings were likely lower on the totem pole. I needed to get an answer. I called the Escalation Department and spoke to Justin. I could not be transferred to mark because Justin didn't know who Mark was. Again, I must repeat my story and I am asked more questions. At one point, during our two hours and five minutes of conversation, I was told there was not enough 'evidence' to support my request and there were new policies and procedures in place. However, Justin says he understood my concern and would get back to me within the day.

It is still August 28th so I give him the benefit of the doubt and will wait for his call and decision.

E-Bay cannot write policies and procedures that are all encompassing. Nor can they ignore 'loopholes' in their new sellers program.

I am not responsible for the glitches on Turbo Lister in June. I should not be penalized on the 9 defects I was awarded for something that occurred almost 10 months ago as it was acceptable back then. Now what was once acceptable is no longer and they back date everything twelve months. Unfair. I helped one customer with 9 transactions knowing I would not be penalized at the time.

E-Bay needs to be flexible on this new sellers policy. There may be good things in it for everyone but there will be situations like mine. It is inevitable.

With my lower status, which I don't deserve, I will sell less. I will make less money and E-Bay will make less profit.

E-Bay needs to make adjustments and concessions with their new sellers policy.

It isn't working for me.

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Wow that really sucks. I know how you feel as a seller and to keep the status of being Top Rated is now harder than ever. I hope your situation gets resolved and also hope ebay knows by implementing the new policy is pure ridiculous. They should know by now by discouraging ebay sellers from using their site, there will be no buyers who will buy anything on ebay because there wouldn't be any sellers that will exist.

I miss the old days and also miss where sellers can also leave neg. feedbacks.

Message 2 of 36
latest reply

Those 9 cancellations....

Correct... Buyer requested cancellation... 

Stated reason... for the record ...I cancelled the nine items by indicating that I had previously sold the goods to someone else

Why did you not state that the buyer requested a cancellation of these 9 transactions?

Message 3 of 36
latest reply

Cancelling a transaction as requested by a buyer does not affect a buyer's standing on eBay.

I have done this many times  and buyer's have given me glowing feedback for doing so.... Their standing on eBay was not negatively affected.

Stating the truth will never hurt...

These items were not sold to another buyer....  and stating so... for the record ....should not have occurred...

Message 4 of 36
latest reply

I have no clue what you are talking about.

Message 5 of 36
latest reply

Noone said it will affect the buyers standing. However, by doing so, the sellers standing will be ruined.

Message 6 of 36
latest reply

I would not worry. As a buyer I look at feedback before I purchase and yours is excellent. I don't look to see if eBay has classified them as a top seller because they say that certain sellers are top sellers with a whole bunch of negative feedback. What eBay thinks about a seller does not matter. It is your feedback that matters. 🙂

Message 7 of 36
latest reply

@spendmoneyhere2014 wrote:

I would not worry. As a buyer I look at feedback before I purchase and yours is excellent. I don't look to see if eBay has classified them as a top seller because they say that certain sellers are top sellers with a whole bunch of negative feedback. What eBay thinks about a seller does not matter. It is your feedback that matters. 🙂

While what you say about FB may be true, a large part of the "seller status" issue is placement and visibility, especially if you're in a category with a lot of competition.  The other issue is that if you get too close to the bottom line of seller status, you can suddenly find yourself with selling restrictions, lack of invitations to listing promos, and possibly other selling restrictions that eBay doesn't always make clear.

So I'm with the OP -- the new system is seriously flawed and is punishing a lot of otherwise well-meaning sellers for their attempts to give good customer service on "real world" terms. 

To the OP:  I have a clear recollection that one of the eBay.ca staffers mentioned, in a Wednesday board discussion a few months ago, that Canadian sellers would not begin to be affected by accumulated defects until March of 2015.  In other words, we were being given fair warning, starting April 2014, that the next year would be "counted", but that anything prior would not. 

I'm afraid I can't put my finger on the precise date of that comment, but my suggestion to you would be not to spend any more of your valuable time on the phone to eBay CS, but rather to try sending a direct email to one of the eBay.ca representatives.  Probably Raphael is the best one to try.  They seem to be overworked and short-staffed at the eBay.ca office, so you might have to wait a few days for a reply, but I can assure you that whatever the response, it will be more substantive and knowledgeable than what you'll get from the endlessly sympathetic but utterly useless robo-people at eBay Customer Disservice. 

If I can find the Wed. board where this was discussed, I'll post the link here.  Best of luck!   This sort of thing is how eBay will be losing a lot of its best smaller sellers -- is that what they really want?

Message 8 of 36
latest reply

By the way, I would add that it's the sellers like the OP with 100% positive FB (or close to it) and an otherwise perfect customer service record who will be concerned about these unfair defects, and they are precisely the ones eBay should be working harder to keep on this site!

Message 9 of 36
latest reply

"It isn't working for me."

Then, change what you are doing. I have made the same mistakes you did, shrugged, and moved on. You want to spend hours on the phone getting nowhere, good for you. You do realize they keep track of this sort of thing, don't you. The more you "request", the more they go "That one again"?

So, you pretty much did everything wrong, and in the wrong order. Yeah, that bites. However, blame eBay when you were a "good samaritan" when you should not have been? You are choosing to do the list-relist thing without the benefit of using a store. That is a dangerous tactic and leads to problems. At some point, some of these choices are yours.

Do you have another venue you can use for your products? I do not. I have to live with eBay. What I do, is work as hard as I can, within their structure. Sometimes it does not go well. Most of the time it goes very well.

Isn't what you are doing like banging your head against the wall? It feel so good when you stop?

eBay is not going to change for you. eBay is not going to acquiesce and change what has happened. 

So, what are you going to do? Keep saying "It's not fair"? Where is that going to get you?

Photobucket
Message 10 of 36
latest reply

@selection_depot wrote:

Noone said it will affect the buyers standing. However, by doing so, the sellers standing will be ruined.

Cumos is referring to the OP's statement that the buyer was worried about their buying status. Perhaps the buyer thought that the seller would file unpaid item claims against them which could affect their buying status.

If the OP had used 'buyer changed mind/made mistake" when they cancelled the transactions instead of using 'sold items to someone else' neither buyer or seller would have been affected. Of course the OP did not know that more than 9 months later their choice of reasons would matter and I agree that it is ridiculous that they are affected by something done long before the defect policy was announced.

Message 11 of 36
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@selection_depot wrote:

Cumos is referring to the OP's statement that the buyer was worried about their buying status. Perhaps the buyer thought that the seller would file unpaid item claims against them which could affect their buying status.

If the OP had used 'buyer changed mind/made mistake" when they cancelled the transactions instead of using 'sold items to someone else' neither buyer or seller would have been affected. Of course the OP did not know that more than 9 months later their choice of reasons would matter and I agree that it is ridiculous that they are affected by something done long before the defect policy was announced.

I don't. They are doing their level best to eliminate the TRS discount. They can and will make any number of changes to remove as many sellers as possible.

Photobucket
Message 12 of 36
latest reply

@spendmoneyhere2014 wrote:

You may look at a seller's feedback but if ebay chooses to make a seller's listings less visible because of their definition of 'poor performance' than it is less likely that a buyer will see the sellers listings or feedback.

Although I suspect that the defect system will have a factor in a seller's listing placement, I do think that a big factor in visibility is that ebay gives preferential visibility to sellers and to listings that have recent sales and/or have many views.

Message 13 of 36
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Although I suspect that the defect system will have a factor in a seller's listing placement, I do think that a big factor in visibility is that ebay gives preferential visibility to sellers and to listings that have recent sales and/or have many views.

I agree completely (as I mentioned above).  Visibility and other factors that may affect a seller's ability to sell are an important concern. 
As for retroactively applying "errors" that were not errors at the time, I agree with you too -- in my view it's outrageous.  EBay should have only have made defects count from the point when it announced the defect system (mid-April, 2014), and not prior. 
Most legislation, bylaws, and other regulations in the "real world" have grace periods and/or grandfathering.  Why not eBay?  Well, Mr. Elmwood may be right there, in that eBay's purpose was to chase off the smaller sellers which it now sees as nothing but a whole horde of individual, high-maintenance trouble-makers.  They can tailor their policies to the largest commercial sellers on the site and perhaps have only a few hundred key sellers to cater to, instead of several tens of thousands.
Yet, on the subject of grandfathering/grace periods, I'm certain I recall one of the eBay.ca staffers referring to a seller grace period with regard to the new defect system.  Mention was specifically made that the significant evaluation period would run starting April 2014 to March 2015 (for sellers with a 12-month look-back).  I recall it was in response to concerns by sellers about exactly what the OP is describing -- unfair retroactive defects.  It seems to me it was Rodney who said it, and it got my attention at the time.  I just can't find those remarks now!  I've looked through all the Wed. board sessions, to no avail.  Or am I not recalling it in the correct context?  So frustrating not to be able to find this.
'pj' -- You seem to have a good memory of details on policy, questions answered, etc.  Do you remember this comment by eBay?  Can you find it and post it here?  Or is it possible it got removed from the Wed. boards because someone goofed in saying it? 

Message 14 of 36
latest reply

I don't remember a specific reference on the weekly boards but as far as I know there is only one TRS grace period and that goes into effect only if we don't meet the sales or transactions requirement. It doesn't have anything to do with retroactive defects.

http://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/news/springupdate2014/sellerstandards.html#grace_period

As a Top Rated Seller, will I still have a grace period if I fall below the sales volume and tracking requirements?

Yes, qualified Top Rated Sellers will continue to enjoy the same grace period as today if they temporarily fall below the required volume or tracking upload requirements. During the Top Rated Seller grace period you retain your Top Rated Seller status and benefits. You have two evaluation cycles to get your transaction count or sales amount back to minimum program requirements.

You're eligible for the grace period if you fall below Top Rated Seller standards due to any of the following:

• You have fewer than 100 transactions with US buyers over the most recent 12-month period
  • You have less than $1,000 in sales with US buyers over the most recent 12-month period
  • You've uploaded validated shipment tracking within your promised handling time for less than 90% (but not less than 85%) of transactions with US buyers in the last 3 months

You're only eligible for the Top Rated Seller grace period when:

• You've been a Top Rated Seller for the last 3 (or more) consecutive months immediately preceding evaluation
  • You meet the performance requirements:
    • 2% or lower defect rate
    • 0.3% or lower of cases closed without being resolved by you

If you don't meet sales and tracking requirements and performance standards after the grace period ends, you lose your Top Rated Seller status and benefits.

Message 15 of 36
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I agree completely (as I mentioned above).  Visibility and other factors that may affect a seller's ability to sell are an important concern. 
As for retroactively applying "errors" that were not errors at the time, I agree with you too -- in my view it's outrageous.  EBay should have only have made defects count from the point when it announced the defect system (mid-April, 2014), and not prior. 
Most legislation, bylaws, and other regulations in the "real world" have grace periods and/or grandfathering.  Why not eBay?  Well, Mr. Elmwood may be right there, in that eBay's purpose was to chase off the smaller sellers which it now sees as nothing but a whole horde of individual, high-maintenance trouble-makers.  They can tailor their policies to the largest commercial sellers on the site and perhaps have only a few hundred key sellers to cater to, instead of several tens of thousands.
Yet, on the subject of grandfathering/grace periods, I'm certain I recall one of the eBay.ca staffers referring to a seller grace period with regard to the new defect system.  Mention was specifically made that the significant evaluation period would run starting April 2014 to March 2015 (for sellers with a 12-month look-back).  I recall it was in response to concerns by sellers about exactly what the OP is describing -- unfair retroactive defects.  It seems to me it was Rodney who said it, and it got my attention at the time.  I just can't find those remarks now!  I've looked through all the Wed. board sessions, to no avail.  Or am I not recalling it in the correct context?  So frustrating not to be able to find this.
'pj' -- You seem to have a good memory of details on policy, questions answered, etc.  Do you remember this comment by eBay?  Can you find it and post it here?  Or is it possible it got removed from the Wed. boards because someone goofed in saying it? 

The big sellers do not complain. The big sellers do not phone and spend hours arguing. The big sellers use this as a venue, pay their bills, shut-up, and keep selling.

It is a general rule in any business, 10% of the sellers do 90% of the business. Who then is doing the complaining? The remaining 90%. If you were eBay, what would you do?

The remaining 90% are consuming time, money, resources, utilizing free listings only, never buying a store. Hum? The landscape is changing. There is a noticeable shift of resources to the bigger and the up front paying. More and more the casual, the small, the non-invested are being marginalized.

Don't like it if you don't want to, fine. I am just saying what I am seeing and hearing from others. The hypocritical part is eBay encouraging the non-invested to join up and sell. They do that and get frustrated, quit, and possibly bad mouth eBay.

Photobucket
Message 16 of 36
latest reply

When I added my first comments,  there was something that I chose not to say... and I will do so as I continue.

I can understand why OP is perplexed  and definitely bothered by how eBay is treating him

My response refers specifically to those 9 cancellations....  all from one buyer.

The correct answer for all cancellations  was ... Buyer request the cancellations.....  This was the truth .... nothing more... nothing less.

OP chose to say he sold the items to another buyer.....  This was 100 % incorrect... and  is the word...  9 little ..... lies....

eBay is caught is in a bit of a bind.

OP lied about why the cancellations were made....

and with the new definition of defects... OP was caught in a lie.... something none of us should do.

The new defect system of evaluating sellers has hit many sellers below the belt.....Sometimes  we as seller work to do the right thing and end up on the wrong side of the fence.

Message 17 of 36
latest reply

It is also my understanding that the August 20 evaluation only affects those  who sell enough to be evaluated on that day.

Those of use  that do not sell enough for an August 20 evaluation... will be fully evaluated in March 2015.

If OP was evaluated on that short time period.... then  the Defects earned as of Oct-Nov 2013... would not be applicable.

There are a lot of problems with the new Defect system  of seller evaluation.

eBay has lots of homework to do....  either to clarify .... or to make adjustments.....

Message 18 of 36
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

It is also my understanding that the August 20 evaluation only affects those  who sell enough to be evaluated on that day.

Those of use  that do not sell enough for an August 20 evaluation... will be fully evaluated in March 2015.

If OP was evaluated on that short time period.... then  the Defects earned as of Oct-Nov 2013... would not be applicable.

There are a lot of problems with the new Defect system  of seller evaluation.

eBay has lots of homework to do....  either to clarify .... or to make adjustments.....

I do not think there are any problems, from eBay's point of view. It was set-up to keep more sellers on eBay, but, reduce the number getting the discount. I "think" they are achieving their goals.

I "think" the new system gives more sellers more chances to make mistakes before they get booted. In the mean-time, they do not get the discount.

There are sellers having problems with the defect system. I "think" because they are not playing by eBay's rules. Don't like the rules, play somewhere else. The rules were NOT set up for minor league countries like Canada. They were set-up for USA, Germany, China.

Unless they new rules negatively impact those three countries, there will not be any changes for us. Anyone who thinks this tiny market of Canada means anything to eBay is fooling themselves. We are important to ourselves, eBay is important to us, we are not important to them.

Photobucket
Message 19 of 36
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable
The way I see about eBay is that they are working so HARD rubbing their hands gleefly, working hard to "penalize" us as sellers in many ways. I don't understand why they need to do that. I would think they would be grateful for us sellers than trying to hurt us in big ways like that. I knew that many of us sellers are doing their jobs very good but we don't need to be "penalized" like this which is insane.
Message 20 of 36
latest reply