seller performance issues

E-Bay's new Seller Performance standards may be a good idea for seller's in the long run but it's implementation has decreased my Performance Standards. I had a problem over the space of 24 hours from Oct.31st to Nov.1st 2014. A customer bought 9 items and couldn't pay for them because of a sudden job lost. I was contacted through my personal e-mail address instead of E-Bay messages. Personal e-mails are on Pay Pal so a knowledgeable buyer knows where to get this information. I had dealt with this buyer before and was asked if the items could be cancelled without it reflecting negatively on their account. I cancelled the nine items by indicating that I had previously sold the goods to someone else. At that time these cancellations didn't affect my performance standards. I was happy to help. The customer is always right and such an action may have resulted in acquiring a long-term repeat customer. More sales for me and more commission for E-Bay.

I was terribly wrong.

In August 2014, some nine months after this occurred, E-Bay puts in their new Seller Performance standards and hits me with 9 defects for the cancellations I made on November 1st 2013. My performance went from Top Rated Seller to Above Average the week of August 20th. Had I known that E-Bay would start using this type of historical data I would not have handled the situation like I did and not be such a 'good Samaritan'. Cancelling transactions in the past was only a problem if the buyer didn't agree to it.

Wait there's more.....

At the end of July 2014 I went to upload approximately 1,800 items with Turbo Lister 2. To my amazement and shock ALL pictures for these 1,800 items were gone. I called E-Bay and they put me through to a Turbo Lister technician. She didn't know why I lost my pictures but she knew the solution. She had me go to my "Unsold Items" history and sort them by date. She told me to use the items with the most recent date ensuring that the date was the same for all the items. I did this and copied them to a folder I created called "Restored Items July 2014". I used this folder and successfully uploaded all my listings.

Now it gets worst....

I didn't realize the time lag between my current listings on E-Bay and my "Unsold Items" history. My unsold items list was not current so I listed items I no longer had. I had to advise two customers that I had sold their item to someone else.

Subsequently, I reviewed my database and noticed items that were not there. I removed.

You'd think it would get better but it didn't...

With the New Seller Performance standards I was awarded another two defects which I felt were undeserved. This brings the defect rate for Cancelled Items to a total of 14 (3 cancellations were my fault). Of these 14 cancelled order defects I contested 11 of them.

I phoned E-Bay three times so far to resolve this issue. I find it unfair to introduce a new seller grading system based of situations that were allowable in the past and then to go back twelve months and to penalize sellers with defects on historical data on situations that were allowable then.

If my cancelled orders in November 2013 were allowable and didn't affect my seller performance then why so now??

My first phone call to E-Bay lasted one hour and thirty-five minutes.

I explained that the 9 defects from November should be removed and that the 2 defects in July were due to a glitch with Turbo Lister. My call was passed around to many departments and one E-Bay representative did confirm there were issues with Turbo Lister 2 in July. My 2 strikes were a direct result of losing all my pictures then having to use my "Unsold Items" listings. Despite this acknowledgement no decision could be made to remove my 11 defects. I was told that I would receive an e-mail from them with their decision within 1 to 2 days. I didn't get any response.

E-Bay must have hefty long distance charge...

My next call to E-Bay, again for the same problems, on August 26th 2014, lasted two hours and fifty minutes!! I must have talked to all the departments before I spoke with Marci in the Accounts department. I explained the situation again and she agreed with me that it was unfair to get 9 defects for something dating back so long but she wasn't in a position of authority to do anything. I was passed to Mark in the Escalation Department who listened and without saying as much certainly gave me the impression that the 11 defects would be removed. He explained that he had to get the approval of higher-ups and I would hear from him in 2 or 3 days.

2 days later...

I called back on August 28th, 2014. By now my current sale ending in 15 hours had resulted in 4 bids on 2,300 items. With my downgraded status my listings were likely lower on the totem pole. I needed to get an answer. I called the Escalation Department and spoke to Justin. I could not be transferred to mark because Justin didn't know who Mark was. Again, I must repeat my story and I am asked more questions. At one point, during our two hours and five minutes of conversation, I was told there was not enough 'evidence' to support my request and there were new policies and procedures in place. However, Justin says he understood my concern and would get back to me within the day.

It is still August 28th so I give him the benefit of the doubt and will wait for his call and decision.

E-Bay cannot write policies and procedures that are all encompassing. Nor can they ignore 'loopholes' in their new sellers program.

I am not responsible for the glitches on Turbo Lister in June. I should not be penalized on the 9 defects I was awarded for something that occurred almost 10 months ago as it was acceptable back then. Now what was once acceptable is no longer and they back date everything twelve months. Unfair. I helped one customer with 9 transactions knowing I would not be penalized at the time.

E-Bay needs to be flexible on this new sellers policy. There may be good things in it for everyone but there will be situations like mine. It is inevitable.

With my lower status, which I don't deserve, I will sell less. I will make less money and E-Bay will make less profit.

E-Bay needs to make adjustments and concessions with their new sellers policy.

It isn't working for me.

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

@cumos55 wrote:

It is also my understanding that the August 20 evaluation only affects those  who sell enough to be evaluated on that day.

Those of use  that do not sell enough for an August 20 evaluation... will be fully evaluated in March 2015.

If OP was evaluated on that short time period.... then  the Defects earned as of Oct-Nov 2013... would not be applicable.

There are a lot of problems with the new Defect system  of seller evaluation.

eBay has lots of homework to do....  either to clarify .... or to make adjustments.....

If a seller has 400 or more sales in the last 3 months, they will be evaluated on the last 3 months.  Sellers with less than that amount of sales will be evaluated on defects in the last year. (Aug 1,2013-July 31, 2014)

Your post did jog my memory about the March date although I can't find anything in writing right now to confirm it. I don't think that it has anything to do with TRS status.  I think that it said that if a yearly evaluated seller had enough defects on August 20th to become a below standard seller, they would be protected until March IF those defects that put the seller over the edge were made before the defect announcement. I believe that would cover defects from August 1/13- March 31/14. If the OP is above standard, that wouldn't affect him.

But I am not sure if I remember correctly or if even if this policy is still in effect.  I've heard about quite a few sellers being suspended recently so they might have quietly taken out that policy. (I'm fairly sure that I didn't imagine it)

Message 21 of 36
latest reply

Many sellers see their record ... looking back to August 2013.

The March 2015 date has been mentioned on eBay.com

This date does allow a seller to make adjustments over the next series of month....  effectively some breathing room.

If the seller , who would have been evaluated on a 12 month basis, has messed up over the months from the time of the spring update to August... then they have exceeded the allowance for one year and might  be evaluated as if 12 months has passed.

I have seen some horrific defect levels presented on eBay.com.

The question is... How did they get there?

The new defect system  does appear to find  the problem sellers...many who played the system to specifically get the TRS discount....

Sellers have to adjust.....  unfortunately  some sellers will continue as they have been... not willing to change...not know what to do... or not understand.

The most important thing eBay must do is not create situations  where a seller gets a defect...  that should never have been created.

This we have seen with this recent Fall Update.... eBay has made an adjustment  with respect to ... Ask a question...

Many sellers focus on the negative in relation to eBay......Many have been hit too hard to understand why  it is so...

Message 22 of 36
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

Many sellers see their record ... looking back to August 2013.

The March 2015 date has been mentioned on eBay.com

This date does allow a seller to make adjustments over the next series of month....  effectively some breathing room.

If the seller , who would have been evaluated on a 12 month basis, has messed up over the months from the time of the spring update to August... then they have exceeded the allowance for one year and might  be evaluated as if 12 months has passed.

I have seen some horrific defect levels presented on eBay.com.

The question is... How did they get there?

The new defect system  does appear to find  the problem sellers...many who played the system to specifically get the TRS discount....

Sellers have to adjust.....  unfortunately  some sellers will continue as they have been... not willing to change...not know what to do... or not understand.

The most important thing eBay must do is not create situations  where a seller gets a defect...  that should never have been created.

This we have seen with this recent Fall Update.... eBay has made an adjustment  with respect to ... Ask a question...

Many sellers focus on the negative in relation to eBay......Many have been hit too hard to understand why  it is so...

Cumos! You have the best insight. Have you noticed how I continue to hi-lite your remarks?

I have noticed that you are an explainer, not a complainer.

35 years in retail the greater the complainer, the less they were ever entitled to in the first place. The louder the noise, the more they were at fault. The more they yelled, the more they were covering up what they did wrong.

Me? I pick my battles. The ones I will not win, I do not waste my time on. Well, now and again, to keep my skills sharp and to learn the opposition. The ones I think I can win, I almost always do.

People that make mistakes and then blame others? Um? Not for me. I take ownership of my errors. I have made some whoppers and they are mine, mine, mine.

Photobucket
Message 23 of 36
latest reply

Over the years there have been posts on eBay.com... specifically... where someone is complaining... or more specifically whining  about things.

I read,  I learn and file things away for future reference.... but NO comment

For... Many times the whiner fails to see the answer... and  many times  they already know, but fail to recognize the answer.

My approach to selling is based on a model... and that is how I did what I used to do... before selling on eBay

It is called Systems Modelling ..... eBay is the system I am working with.....  in relation to Paypal...  Canada Post...and everything that contributes and is a part of this business of selling on eBay ... Everything is a careful balance... that sometimes gets a bit ... tipsy....   the model... and not me.

I know what works for we  and the variables that can affect me....  as well as the variables  that just might affect me in the future... and perhaps how great an effect that would be...

... Many times  I know what to do even before eBay produces a new update.... For many times  I am already doing what should be done to minimize the negative...

But then there is always a possibility that I can trip up big time....but then ... Maybe not...

The question is am I ready for the future?

Message 24 of 36
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@"cumos55 wrote:

It is also my understanding that the August 20 evaluation only affects those  who sell enough to be evaluated on that day.

Those of use  that do not sell enough for an August 20 evaluation... will be fully evaluated in March 2015."

Your post did jog my memory about the March date although I can't find anything in writing right now to confirm it. I don't think that it has anything to do with TRS status.  I think that it said that if a yearly evaluated seller had enough defects on August 20th to become a below standard seller, they would be protected until March IF those defects that put the seller over the edge were made before the defect announcement. I believe that would cover defects from August 1/13- March 31/14. If the OP is above standard, that wouldn't affect him.

But I am not sure if I remember correctly or if even if this policy is still in effect.  I've heard about quite a few sellers being suspended recently so they might have quietly taken out that policy. (I'm fairly sure that I didn't imagine it)

Thanks 'pj' and 'cumos' for trying to recall this.  You are right, 'pj', that it had nothing to do with the TRS grace period, which was a completely separate concession.  And I'm sure that you, like me, didn't imagine it -- I believe the statement must have been rescinded or removed from the boards, because I haven't been able to find it despite a thorough search. 

The way I remember it, the March 2015 reference wasn't shown as part of the new defect policy (or as part of the Spring Update), but was mentioned by one of the eBay.ca staff to assure sellers who were worried about being downgraded as a result of evaluation based on older defects (i.e. things that weren't considered a seller problem prior to the defect system being announced, for example, let's say neutral FB). 

I recall the comment as a definitive remark, not just a hopeful musing, and by one of the higher-ups (Rodney?).  In fact, I thought it was part of a discussion in which someone was asking about how and when the defect system would be applied, so it would have been around March or April of this year. 

The explanation provided by 'cumos' may be correct, but that's not quite how I remember it.  Whatever the case, obviously it no longer applies, but I just find it disconcerting that something pronounced so unequivocally by eBay may have been retracted or removed later.  What then do we rely on?

Like 'cumos', I'm always trying to stay one step ahead of the game by aligning as much of what I do with what I anticipate may be eBay's next move, because I still want to stay in business on this site.  There may come a day when that is made impossible though, and when that time arrives, I'll know when it doesn't make sense to "fight City Hall".

To get back to the question at hand, the OP did make a mistake originally in stating a reason for the cancellation that was untrue, but he did it for all the right motives at the time -- trying as best he could to accommodate the buyer.  By not asking the buyer to accept a reason that he (the buyer) had made a mistake, the OP was probably also trying to help the buyer save face and avoid embarrassment. 

I still hope the OP can bring this up with one of the eBay.ca staffers and get the defects reversed.  It's one thing to get punished for bad behaviour, even retroactively, but quite another to be punished retroactively for doing the right thing.

Message 25 of 36
latest reply

" that Canadian sellers would not begin to be affected by accumulated defects until March of 2015."

Maybe something got lost in translation somewhere.

Often we think eBay.ca staff refers to "Canadians" when, in fact, they refer to listings on eBay.ca or items shipped from Canada.

In this instance, the original poster shows registration in Canada but items are listed on eBay.com and shipped from the USA through USPS. I suspect eBay.com rules and policies apply in such case.

Message 26 of 36
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

If a seller has 400 or more sales in the last 3 months, they will be evaluated on the last 3 months.  Sellers with less than that amount of sales will be evaluated on defects in the last year. (Aug 1,2013-July 31, 2014)

That is right.  Defects that wouldn't have been defects before the changes were announced  (eg 3s for described) are somewhat protected from "below standard" consequences until march 2015.  No protection at all for TRS.   Defects that were defects before still count.  All defects after the announcement count.   And it doesn't protect you from much.  Staff reply here

"

Yes for the 12 month evaluation period, sellers will be evaluated for the last 12 months as of Aug 20th  which will be from Aug 1st 2013 to July 31 2014.

Sellers on a 12 month evaluation period will be protected until March 20, 2015 seller evaluation from selling limits or restrictions as a consequence of falling below eBay's minimum standards strictly because of one or more of the defects that were not previously counted and that ocurred before our announcement. Note that this protection does not prevent the loss of Top Rated seller status and benefits, having your listings lowered in search, or having selling privileges limited or restricted for other reasons besides performance standards such as eBay polict violations.  It doesn't protect you if you fall below standards by today's requirements before July 31, 2014.

Thanks,

Arti"

http://community.ebay.com/t5/2014-Spring-Seller-Update/Effective-dates-of-evaluation-period/m-p/1975...

Message 27 of 36
latest reply

Sellers who are borderline based on this new Defect System of Seller Evaluation have from

August 20, 2014 to March 20, 2015  

to make the right adjustments.  .....and ...

Most likely  ... perhaps...  eBay ...might ...make some adjustments as well...

as has already been done with the 2014 Fall Seller Update

There are many questions...  many misunderstandings...... and many sellers may not be paying attention to this new reality

Message 28 of 36
latest reply

Thanks toby, I'm glad that someone could find that info so that we know exactly how it works. You're right though, it isn't a whole lot of protection and it applies to all sellers,not just for .ca sellers.

Message 29 of 36
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

Sellers who are borderline based on this new Defect System of Seller Evaluation have from

August 20, 2014 to March 20, 2015  

to make the right adjustments.  .....and ...

Most likely  ... perhaps...  eBay ...might ...make some adjustments as well...

as has already been done with the 2014 Fall Seller Update

There are many questions...  many misunderstandings...... and many sellers may not be paying attention to this new reality

What adjustments have already been made with the Fall update?

Message 30 of 36
latest reply

The adjustment was to the "ask a question" situation.

Buyer wanted to ask a question,  and  a case was opened...

Buyers were opening cases,  creating a defect  when all they wanted to do was ask a question

Buyers will be allowed to ask a question  ... or open a case.....There now appears to be a separation between the two....

Message 31 of 36
latest reply

To help buyers with after-sales support, we’re adding an option in the Contact Seller form that allows buyers to ask you a question about an item they’ve purchased or send you a message after the sale. This option will not be considered a "request/ case" and will not impact your seller performance.

From the following page.....

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/news/fallupdate2014/after-sale-experience-details.html#faqs-...

under the heading .....

New safeguards for sellers are built in

Looks to be enough of a change to prevent opening cases  when all someone wanted to do was ask a question.

Message 32 of 36
latest reply

Ok. I misunderstood what you were saying. Thank you for explaining.

Message 33 of 36
latest reply

Re -read Mr. Elmwood's posts.

EBay loses money on sellers who demand customer service.

-Most of these are small, occasional and hobby sellers, who do not understand retail and particularly mail order retailing.

EBay loses money on sellers who get TRS discounts.

-Although in theory, those are also the sellers who are causing eBay the fewest problems. If they lose the discount, eBay's income from them rises 20% or more.

EBay loses money on sellers who only use free listings.

-If a seller can't make money while paying a 30 cent fee for listing an item, then this is a hobby and not an income stream.

Message 34 of 36
latest reply

@toby**bleep**zu wrote:

That is right.  Defects that wouldn't have been defects before the changes were announced  (eg 3s for described) are somewhat protected from "below standard" consequences until march 2015.  No protection at all for TRS.   Defects that were defects before still count.  All defects after the announcement count.   And it doesn't protect you from much.  Staff reply here

"

Yes for the 12 month evaluation period, sellers will be evaluated for the last 12 months as of Aug 20th  which will be from Aug 1st 2013 to July 31 2014.

Sellers on a 12 month evaluation period will be protected until March 20, 2015 seller evaluation from selling limits or restrictions as a consequence of falling below eBay's minimum standards strictly because of one or more of the defects that were not previously counted and that ocurred before our announcement. Note that this protection does not prevent the loss of Top Rated seller status and benefits, having your listings lowered in search, or having selling privileges limited or restricted for other reasons besides performance standards such as eBay polict violations.  It doesn't protect you if you fall below standards by today's requirements before July 31, 2014.

Thanks,

Arti"

http://community.ebay.com/t5/2014-Spring-Seller-Update/Effective-dates-of-evaluation-period/m-p/1975...

Thanks so much for locating this toby!  This is the statement I was referring to, although I'm fairly certain it was also made on one of the .ca Wednesday boards around the time the Spring Update occurred.  It could very well have been removed.  

You're right -- this is very little comfort.  I also imagine a seller would have to go through a lot of phone calls and discussions with CS to get inappropriate defects reversed under this policy.

Message 35 of 36
latest reply

I went from Above Standard to Below Standard over night.

My Account is limited, can't withdraw money from PP for up to 21 days, can't even list any more as my limits changed.  Being treated as a scammer all bc of 3 cases that were closed without my resolution.  One of them being that I aske unhappy buyer to returm the item to me for a full refund + his shipping costs.  He refused, won the case, kept the item and the money.  I got penelized for that.

eBay is bending over and backwards to make buyer happy (no surprise there) as one rep told me when I called they want to have the buyer to have a good experience. 

The new evaluating system stinks. Did you know it counts against you if buyer opens a case "Item not Received" and you refund them the money.  No still no good.  I mean c'mon.  When I heard that I could not believe it. Good job eBay I will be cancelling my overseas shipping since Canada Post doeas not provide tracking for air parcels.  I was willing to take a risk and was refunding buyers if they claimed they didn't receive it, but that's not good enough.

And how do we fix this?  Do we wait it out and pray we don't loose any more cases aka. refund the money as soon as the buyer asks?  Seems eBay wants it that way.

Message 36 of 36
latest reply