selling silver bars

Silly question but why are silver bars sold as 999.0 or .999 pure, I know same but why are the numbers not same?
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

selling silver bars

999.0 is a  Purity mark of 999.0 stamped on the bar, where we say .999 pure.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

selling silver bars

I do not know the answer to your question but I always wondered why some sellers would sell gold or silver bullion on eBay.

It never made sense to me.

I sold gold coins (Krugarrand) directly to precious metal dealers and realized - net in my pockets - much more than selling them on eBay with no risk of chargeback, no fees.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

selling silver bars

999.0 is a  Purity mark of 999.0 stamped on the bar, where we say .999 pure.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

selling silver bars

Pure silver is 99.9 % pure...

Sterling is 92.5 % pure......  and is marked 925

For more information

Link to 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_standards

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

selling silver bars

Why wouldn't you sell silver on eBay? I got one as a work reward but didn't care about it so I sold it on eBay. It was fine.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

selling silver bars

"I do not know the answer to your question but I always wondered why some sellers would sell gold or silver bullion on eBay.

It never made sense to me."

Quite simple, really. Sellers are getting more per ounce than the market price. Silver is around $16.44 an ounce. And there are many recent sales above $23 plus shipping. As a seller this makes sense. But as a buyer???
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

selling silver bars

@2014sportsterguy wrote:
Silly question but why are silver bars sold as 999.0 or .999 pure, I know same but why are the numbers not same?

I would say that if its marked 999.0, its a fake.  Silver is 99.9% pure which is .999 in decimals.

999.0 is just 999 whole units or 99900%

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

selling silver bars

AG 999.0 is not fake , just look at all the sales.
Message 8 of 8
latest reply