what happened to counters

I AM CURIOUS , WHAT HAPPENED TO THE COUNTERS THAT USED TO BE AVAILABLE ON LISTINGS .  HMMM WAS A EFFECTIVE TOOL TO MONITOR  LISTINGS .

COULD THERE HAVE BEEN A REASON FOR E-BAY  TO  GET RID OF. I THINK SO YOU COULD NOT MONITOR THE EFFECTIVENESS OF E-BAY ! LISTINGS. PERHAPS PEOPLE ARE LOSING INTEREST IN E-BAY ?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Are you referring to monitoring your own listings? You can check how many views each listing has had in my eBay or selling manager.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

I found this in the Help pages:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/counters.html

I can't find the option on the listings I have created, so the feature may no longer be available. eBay's Help pages aren't always 100% accurate or up-to-date.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Sorry for the double post. After a little more digging, I found the option.

Using the advanced listing form, go to the "Describe your item" section and click the blue text that says "Add or remove options". A box will pop up. Go to the "Description" tab, then check the box under "Visitor counter" and click "Save".

That will add a drop-down selection menu at the bottom of the "Describe your item" section that will allow you to choose a style of counter for your listing.
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@northbear wrote:

I am curious, what happened to the counters that used to be available on listings . Hmmm, was a effective tool to monitor listings.

Could there have been a reason for eBay to get rid of. I think so. You could not monitor the effectiveness of eBay Listings. Perhaps people are losing interest in eBay?

(Shouting removed above)

I believe you are talking about the listing counter at the bottom of an eBay listing that could be viewed by a buyer for activity on the listing. A seller had the option in the Sell Your Item listing tool to use that option if they wanted the buyer to see how many views the listing was getting.

The option still exists as someone mentioned. I use it in my listings (none active right now on this id). I have it turned on in active listings on another eBay id and nothing shows.

The counter feature broke sometime last fall, 2015. At first, it had issues with the counter number being left justified in a listing instead of centered. Then after 2-3 weeks it disappeared completely.

This happened at the time the new eBay Seller Hub was introduced on eBay.com USA last fall. A new Sell Your Item listing tool was also introduced and it never had the counter option available. I figured it was broken when they were coding the new listing tool.

I posted about the counter not being centered and later not working. I don't know if it was here in these eBay.ca forums or on eBay.com USA forums. I forgot about the issue eventually.

If I remember, I will post to the weekly session tomorrow.

PS The counter issue is more of eBay programming incompetence rather than deliberate change in my opinion.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply