Canada post ruins the ebay experience

leogexx
Community Member

Recently I sold some items on ebay (I try this once a year usually) and with the shipping costs by Canada Post and the ebay fees ,it really doesn't seem to be  worth the time and effort to sell on ebay unless you have small envelope sized items or items you know will fetch a decent price. I find the high cost of Canadian shipping scares customers away or really effects the selling price . I have even had a customer (long time ago ) give me a negative for what the canadapost rates were.

Message 1 of 208
latest reply
207 REPLIES 207

Greetings all,

I am new to selling on eBay (haven't listed or sold a single item yet) and I have a question regarding shipping with PayPal:

Would this require the seller to have a business account with PayPal, or is shipping with PayPal still an option for sellers using a personal account?

Message 181 of 208
latest reply

At one time we could get a flat rate box which was great. You knew the exact price to charge. 

Message 182 of 208
latest reply

Agree, that's a lot of bricks! 🙂

Message 183 of 208
latest reply

Thank you. That is very good information.

Message 184 of 208
latest reply

I had no idea how ignorant some buyers can be.  My mistake for opening up shipping beyond North America.  I sell one of a kind fine jewelry, which in my opinion requires tracking.  I had a buyer get angry with me over the $50 shipping charge, which is what it costs me to send a tracked package to the UK.  When I explained this to her, she replied  "For an envelope?  Are you stupid or something?!!"  No, but Canada Post's shipping charges certainly are.  If I were to mail the same item within my home town the price is over $10.50.  I don't charge anything extra for mailing supplies, delivery to the post office, etc.  Sometimes I question whether it's worth selling on eBay.  

Message 185 of 208
latest reply

Small parcel(0.23 KGS) which I just sent via CANADA post, cost  $13.32. I only charged $8 shipping, so with the item being small in value($12) and when ebay and paypal take their cut,  it's just not worth it.  Being English and being used to Royal Mail for all my life before moving here, Canada Post really are backwards extortionate profiteers. Is there any alternative? 

Message 186 of 208
latest reply

@theimperialedition wrote:

Small parcel(0.23 KGS) which I just sent via CANADA post, cost  $13.32. I only charged $8 shipping, so with the item being small in value($12) and when ebay and paypal take their cut,  it's just not worth it.  Being English and being used to Royal Mail for all my life before moving here, Canada Post really are backwards extortionate profiteers. Is there any alternative? 

Are you in Edmonton? Try DYK Post.

$2.60 USD with tracking; 2-3 day delivery time and up to 8 oz.

Under 1 lb is about $3.50 USD I think.

They charge $1. I would just google them or give them a call.

Message 187 of 208
latest reply

@latte403 wrote:

@theimperialedition wrote:

Small parcel(0.23 KGS) which I just sent via CANADA post, cost  $13.32. I only charged $8 shipping, so with the item being small in value($12) and when ebay and paypal take their cut,  it's just not worth it.

Are you in Edmonton? Try DYK Post.

DYK Post's take across the border service is available for Edmonton, Calgary and Red Deer.

They handle to the USA and international using your choice of USPS, USA UPS, USA FedEx (in US$).

Delivery times are 1 day + that of the shipping company used.

Parcel returns are the only area where it can get tricky.

-..-

chitchatexpress,com is a reshipper in the Toronto and Vancouver area

stallionexpress.ca is a reshipper in the Toronto area

-..-

Reshippers are great if you are close enough to use one. I'm not, so I make do with my local Canada Post.

-..-

Message 188 of 208
latest reply

I didnt realize they had expanded their pick up locations....that might work for me!  

Thsnks for the info.

Message 189 of 208
latest reply

hopefully Canada post will get the hint and lower their shipping prices drastically.

They are well over priced compared to their counterparts in the US.

Many others are starting to get in on the action and make Canada post look really bad.

In Ontario there is Chichats express maybe 3 location Mississauga, Markham and now Toronto.

Stallion express in Markham

And COSTCO Shiptime.

Message 190 of 208
latest reply

Canada post goes at it again.

their light weight packets to the U.S.A EFFECTIVE  today January 16TH 2017

has gone up to  $6.84  for 100g -200g

2015 it was $5

2016 it was $5.70

Now $6.84 WOW  $1.14 over last years price , 

Message 191 of 208
latest reply

Light Packet USA was $2.50 just 4-5 years ago!
Message 192 of 208
latest reply

What free site?
Message 193 of 208
latest reply

I shipped items using personal PayPal account.
Message 194 of 208
latest reply

I've been a professional eBay seller since 2004 and the shipping was good, Intill Canada post stopped sending parcels by ground to us. and also cause Canada post raised there prices, they not are in jeopardy of going bankrupt, so they might ask the government for some bail money. That's what I heard that they were in deep trouble. Just like the movie rental stores are suffering, so will the banks and Canada post cause they are competing against the online world.

Message 195 of 208
latest reply

so they might ask the government for some bail money.

They are not allowed to do that. Canada Post is required to be self-supporting, and most years turns their profits over to the government.

In 2016 Canada Post made $136 million, which was $106 million more than they expected.

That's what I heard that they were in deep trouble.

The right wingers keep saying that, and keeping putting people from Pitney Bowes and other private couriers in executive positions.

People who would rather turn the PO over to private industry.

An industry that  pays its carriers less money, covers less of the country, and charges its customers more.

Uh huh.

The basic problem is that the PO has a many pensioners and hasn't kept enough money in their own coffers to cover those pensions and the upcoming pensions.

Which is just bad management.

And may be why they did not expect a profit $106 million higher than they thought they would.

https://www.canadapost.ca/assets/pdf/aboutus/financialreports/2015_ar_financial_en.pdf

Message 196 of 208
latest reply

rmtrmt
Community Member
Had a newbe eBayer from the U.S. cancel a purchase due to cost of shipping through Canada Post.
Message 197 of 208
latest reply

Was this for the mug?  The mug and some of your other listings do not have a shipping cost set up for the US so buyers won't have a heads up on the cost before they buy those items. It is important to check your items when they are first listed to confirm that there is a shipping cost showing. You can do that by going to the listing and changing your location in the shipping tab. 

The most common problem for the cost not showing is when the package dimensions being entered are small than the minimum dimensions allowed for that service.  Expedited parcel USA has a higher minimum size requirement than domestic parcels so that could be your problem. For many of those items though I would use small packet for inexpensive items or tracked packet if I needed tracking. Those services allow for smaller packages. The measurements are available on the CP website 

Message 198 of 208
latest reply

walasy
Community Member

But my Main question is 

Can you have a life company in canada with ebay or do we need to move to US ? 

Message 199 of 208
latest reply

If you are asking if we can live in Canada and have a business on eBay the answer is yes.  But wherever you live there are challenges to selling here and it isn't feasible for everyone or for all items.

You really should read eBay's digital item policy as your items are not following that policy

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/downloadable.html

Message 200 of 208
latest reply