Canada post ruins the ebay experience

leogexx
Community Member

Recently I sold some items on ebay (I try this once a year usually) and with the shipping costs by Canada Post and the ebay fees ,it really doesn't seem to be  worth the time and effort to sell on ebay unless you have small envelope sized items or items you know will fetch a decent price. I find the high cost of Canadian shipping scares customers away or really effects the selling price . I have even had a customer (long time ago ) give me a negative for what the canadapost rates were.

Message 1 of 208
latest reply
207 REPLIES 207

Now when you have something shipped from the US to canada by USPS, canada post slaps a sticker on it and charges you a 10 dollar processing fee which you must pay on delivery. What a scam. 

Message 161 of 208
latest reply

ws_pj
Community Member

I recently sold a very small item, about the size of a business card box.  Turns out it the cheapest method with tracking costs $40 to ship to the seller's destination (international). So I end up eating the lost, and change all my listing to ship canada and us only.  I am losing out on prospective buyers, but I m not interested in losing money thru shipping charge  I don't believe there is a way around it.  Fortunately I don't ship items much. 

Message 163 of 208
latest reply

I'm moving to a border town, so I can cross the border and ship via USPS. Same with importing things. I will get a P.O Box.

I'd rather give my money to the U.S economy at this point. Canada is really starting to a giant rip off.

Message 164 of 208
latest reply

Recently I had to select a package receiving service close to Vancouver. There were so many of them that I ended up compiling a spreadsheet of every company I could find. I put so much time into this that I'm hoping someone else gets some use out of it.

So, here is that spreadsheet with most of the shipping / receiving / mailbox companies close to Vanocuver (in Point Roberts, WA and Blaine, WA):

https://sites.google.com/site/packagereceivingservices/

Message 165 of 208
latest reply

Wow, very thorough!  I don't live in that area but I'm sure that someone who does will really appreciate the work that you did in compiling all of that information.

Message 166 of 208
latest reply

I have never heard of such a thing, and I do get items from the States, via USPS, a lot.  

I do know that CUSTOMS will charge taxes on certain items valued at usually over $20 US, and that CUSTOMS charges a $10 processing fee.  So if your ordering from the US,  and its worth a bit of money, expect to pay the tax (whatever your provincial amount is) then add a $10 fee to that.   Sometimes, depending on what it is, you get charged duty also. 

Anywho... all these extra taxes being claimed on packages coming in from the US is the governments doing.... and they seem to tax almost everything now that comes in.  You can spend a lousey dollar anymore with the government sticking their hand out wanting a cut....

Message 167 of 208
latest reply

They need to pay all their unionized employees, and guaruntee them jobs for life, even if the job becomes irrelevant aka letter carriers.  On our backs.  Welcome to Canada.

Message 168 of 208
latest reply

If you can send it light packet, you can get insurance through Insure Post. I would look into it and it would make you and buyers very happy

Message 169 of 208
latest reply

Just make sure it is insurable and they do not insure to all countries. My policy is if I can't get insurance, I don't ship.

Message 170 of 208
latest reply

Message 171 of 208
latest reply

Now you know why Shipping is so high in Canada...The greedy unions.

Message 172 of 208
latest reply

Hey Eveyone, 

Fun_and_games_estore here. 

We ship all our packages coming our of our Canadian warehouse with Canada Post Tracked and expedited packages withing Canada and the US. 

They come with tracking and are insured. 

For international shipments we either used the registered mail service or small tracked packages international. Both provide tracking and are insurance. 

If anyone has any issues with the final arrival scan, open  a service ticket, just log into your business account with Canada Post and go to this link:

https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/kb/details.page?article=item_not_delivered&cattype=kb&cat=receiving...

For better pricing on shipments:

Your best bet would be to open a business Account with Canada post, or print your labels directly from Paypal. 

This is great for both our Canadian or US Warehouses. 

Alternatively, for Canada Post Metered Mail, definitely take a look at doing a lease arrangement with Pitney Bowes for their metered mail printers. 

http://www.pitneybowes.com/ca/en/shipping-and-mailing/postage-meters.html

Reach out to us if any of you have any question, we're here to help!

Regards

Management 

Fun and Games

Message 173 of 208
latest reply

Canada Post should be categorized as a 4 letter word. 😄

One has to realize first off that we live in vast country with a tiny population.

California has more people than Canada has.

Because of this, the fuel cost of heating and trucking and CP being just another corporation with a myopic view to the bottom line, we must endure the highest shipping rates on the planet.

What does tick me off is their expenditures on business promotions.

I was offline for a week (because my ISP refused to bring in their techies to fix 4 wifi towers over the holidays,) so i pulled one of CP's brochures out of my desk drawer. 

It was in full color on high quality cardstock?

That is an unacceptable expenditure for a company crying the deficit blues. IMHO. 

Next to no information other than going online to check out what they where selling.

I don't bother with the tracking rates. (I offer them and recommend them.) Anything under $40. that gets lost in the mail, is taken as a cost of doing business/a write off. Over $50. tracking rates only. 

Since I switched to a post office that is a little out of my way, I have not lost a single item. 

Any post office where items go missing are to be avoided if at all possible. 

Canada Post does not give all their employees a union number. 20 year Temps I know have applied for a union number many times and it's red tape and BS all down the line. It's CP's way of saving money, keeping employees off the gravy train the unions have engineered.

This I suspect is the main reason I had to switch post offices. There must have been a sense of entitlement  to my stock by the long term Temps. Way too many items were going missing and affecting my ratings.

All CP employees at Shopper's are on Shopper's minimum wage, and I only use them out of desperation. They tend to lose my stock too. 

To their credit I had one insured Canadian sale totally trashed in shipping,  It was made of wood too. Though it took me a while to find a phone number online to give me a number for my files, then transfer me to the correct department, I had my full refund check within the week.

I still have that check, it's been a month. They don't cash their own checks? Why not, they sell money grams, I have a client card, they have cash on hand. Not too terribly convenient to have to go to the banks in the winter for one small check.

At least this time they made it out to me personally, the last one I had to have it reissued because it was in this site's name.

Partnering with Canada Post is like setting yourself up to deal with the devil.

I have one collection that I forgot to weight before I took the image. New image, one less item in the collection.

I was being annoyed by a pile of mother of pearl buttons and decided to list them. Not without weighting them first to get as many in under the 500 gram line.

I have another listing ready to post but I need the box measurements first and I can't find the right sized box. It gets to sit in the files until I do.

At least one can cut off a piece of fabric yardage if it tips the scales.

It's a game you're forced to play. I don't enjoy it, the air is often blue over by the scales.

Message 174 of 208
latest reply

Now you know why Shipping is so high in Canada...The greedy unions.

How do you know someone is paid too much?
He earns more than you do.

Message 175 of 208
latest reply

Just an fyi...Shopper's Drug Mart (or other) "postal clerks" are NOT. They are contracted out and get paid minimum wage. They are NOT Canada Post employees so there is no benefit to leaning against the scale.

Message 176 of 208
latest reply

I buy a $10 item in China - They send it free shipping - with tracking. Canada post does all work the from Vancouver to Ontario.

I buy the same item in Ontario - costs $30 instead of $10 - and costs $75 to send it to China. Something wrong here maybe?

Message 177 of 208
latest reply

I used to sell gadgets out of China (under $10) and did OK for a while until the market was saturated with the item. Most of my customers were in USA and the envelope used to cost me about 1.49 to send. (no tracking or Xpress post unless customer wanted).

If the item did not arrive, I would just send another with no question asked, but never returned a broken item to China!

Since then it seems, the fees have gotten up.

I would like to know if you can run a successful eBay business out of Canada 

a) without having items dropshipped

b) not having a USA distribution

Anyone is welcome to advise me. Thanks so much.

Message 178 of 208
latest reply

"I would like to know if you can run a successful eBay business out of Canada "

Most sellers on this board are Canadian selling successfully on eBay.  Very few of us (if any) use dropshipping or have a distribution network in the USA.  We generally ship from our own office (or home) directly to our customers.  Some (living in large cities) use a forwarders to ship parcels to the USA cheaper than Canada Post.

It comes down to you having products people want to buy at a competitive price (including shipping) with competitive terms.

Know what you sell... sell what you know.

Message 179 of 208
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Use PayPal Shipping that way you don't have to go to the post office.  You can use PayPal Shipping 24/7!

Message 180 of 208
latest reply