Shipping calculator not working

rsreston
Community Member

Hi, this is my first sale on eBay. I'm trying to have shipping calculated by buyer's address but it's not working: when I go to the preview, it shows "shipping: not specified". When I click my auction and look for shipping, it simply says "varies"!

What I want is for eBay to be able to estimate the shipping based on the postal code of a potential buyer when he/she is looking for an item!

I've already followed the foolproof tutorial, researched Canadian eBay's help center but it is not working! Help, please.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

The calculated shipping won't work until you actually post the listing. You can't check it on the ebay sell your item form as it will usually say not specified.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Here is a trick to use to be able to check a listing without it actually running.

Create the listings with the Sell Your Item form.  In the price section, you specify to Start Listing immediately OR Schedule start time ($0.10) and you choose a time.

Choose a date 2 weeks in the future. You will not be charged immediately. You will only be charged when (if) eBay launches the listing at the scheduled time. You will see a 10 cent charge added to your listing fees. No fees are charged until the listing is started.

Your scheduled listing will show up in My eBay Scheduled Listings. Now you can click on the listing and check how it looks and how the shipping is working. Put in various postal codes and USA zip codes and see how it is working. Also other countries.

If there are issues, then Edit the scheduled listing and keep the scheduled time and revise what is needed. It will stay there in Scheduled Listings for you to review again.

Once you are satisfied with the listing, you edit and change to start listing immediately.  When you get to the next page to launch the listing, you will have a summary of fees to be charged. It should not have the schedule fee and no other fees if you are using the 50 free auctions. Launch the listing.

You can use this trick to hold a few listings until you are ready to launch. When you have more than one to launch, use bulk edit to revise all to start immediately.

To use bulk edit, check off the listings in My eBay Scheduled Listings and click Edit above. A spreadsheet like view of the listings appears with an Edit on the left with a drop down box to select Start Time.

PS At this time ship only to Canada and the USA, no worldwide shipping (more things to learn). Sell only low priced items (under $20) to start to figure out how everything  on eBay works. Read these forums daily to learn from others experiences.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

When setting up for calculated shipping, make sure you use metric measurements and weight (cm, kg).

Whenever the calculator does not work as expected, it is usually incorrectly entered dimension or weight for the shipping options selected.

Watch out for minimum dimensions for the shipping service that you use. The eBay Sell Your Item form does not really check what you enter very well.

The most common error is using Expedited Parcel.  EP Canada the minimum dimensions are 10x7x1 cm. EP USA is 21x14x0.5 cm. A package entered with 20x10x5 cm will work for EP Canada but not for EP USA.  You will get no warning in the listings when you create it.  But when you check the listings, it will show Shipping is not Available to your area for the USA. To fix enter the proper minimum for the USA.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

veee8z
Community Member

The shipping Calculator is absolutely horrible.  What are you people thinking?  It's a waste of my **bleep**ing time trying to figure this out.  Trying to ship from Canada to US or beyond is a bloody nightmare.  I've been a member for 15 years, and it has gotten worse.

It is SO bad that it AUTOMATICALLY changes my weight, size, and then **bleep**s up all my other listings.  I'm going to start posting locally for free.  

Get this **bleep**ing thing working, i'm **bleep**ing **bleep**.  I pay for your services, and they are absolutely horrible.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Are you using metric measurements?

Canada Post went metric in 1974. Every other measuring systems is an approximation.

And since rates change by the gram or the centimeter, being exact is necessary.

Poco also pointed out the disconnect between US and Canadian dimensional rates.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply