Retirement of USD from eBay.ca Selling Flows

Hello Canadian sellers,

This thread is open for discussion regarding the recent announcement about eBay Canada retiring USD support from its selling flows. Myself and other employees will come visit this thread and do our best to answer any questions on this topic.

Message 1 of 1,448
latest reply
1,447 REPLIES 1,447

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

Hello Canadian sellers,

This thread is open for discussion regarding the recent announcement about eBay Canada retiring USD support from its selling flows. Myself and other employees will come visit this thread and do our best to answer any questions on this topic.

Congratulations ! You've made E-bay an even harder place to make money ! 

Keep it up ! I'm sure the other Auction Sites are loving it ! 

Message 2 of 1,448
latest reply

It shouldn't amaze anyone that if there's going to be an update on eBay, that it will be anti-seller. Yet another to add to the pile. Every time you tighten your grip...

Message 3 of 1,448
latest reply

I suppose it was inevitable. Unfortunately, the move will likely have a deleterious effect on already flagging sales.

I mean no disrespect to our friends south of the border, but I have a feeling that many US buyers will be confused or unwilling to undertake a transaction in a "foreign" currency.

Just wondering if sellers in China will now have to list items in yuan? 

Message 4 of 1,448
latest reply

In my experience (I have another shop site) listing in Canadian dollars is really disastrous for sales.

What's the reason behind this? Does "discussion thread" mean actual discussion or is the decision already taken?

Message 5 of 1,448
latest reply

Good point regarding Chinese sellers. Fair is fair!
Message 6 of 1,448
latest reply

Tried many times in the past to list in CAD and nothing gets viewed and zero gets sold.   Cdn's buy very little compared to the USA, so unless you give better exposure on .com  to CAD listings from .ca,   this should be a major blunder.

Message 7 of 1,448
latest reply

Currently, we are billed in USD - both from eBay and PayPal.  I am concerned about additional conversion fees to pay for my eBay bills each month.  Will eBay and PayPal be also billing in CAD so that we don't have to convert from CAD funds to USD to pay our monthly bills??

Message 8 of 1,448
latest reply

twoth
Community Member

Maybe Trump will build a wall through Canada. This is just dumb, two big countries and EBay wants to isolate one of them. 

Message 9 of 1,448
latest reply

Should have known this was coming. Another great (read stupid, typically unhelpful) move by eBay.

chemmark

Message 10 of 1,448
latest reply

I have only been here 2 years but I cannot believe how eBay can continue to things up.

Well..... if it is a Canadian Site and we can only use CAN $'s then can we assume all fees and charges from eBay & PayPal Canada will also be listed and collected in CAN$ ?????

....and if  it is a Canadian Site and we can only use CAN $'s then can we assume that we will no longer have to deal with a separate USA Region in seller performance and it will be replaced with a Canadian Region????

Message 11 of 1,448
latest reply

@antiquesincanada wrote:

Currently, we are billed in USD - both from eBay and PayPal.  I am concerned about additional conversion fees to pay for my eBay bills each month.  Will eBay and PayPal be also billing in CAD so that we don't have to convert from CAD funds to USD to pay our monthly bills??

Hi antiquesincanada,

You can actually choose in which currency you are billed, but (and bear with me here as it gets complicated) the currency you list in determines how fees are charged. List in CAD, your fees are charged in CAD. Similarly, if you subscribe to an eBay Store on eBay.ca, your subscription fees will be charged in CAD. Once these fees are charged, they are converted to your chosen billing currency.

Under the current exchange rate situation, I would recommend for any Canadian seller to ensure they are getting their eBay fees billed in CAD to avoid unnecessary conversion fees. 

Message 12 of 1,448
latest reply

I think after 12 years on ebay, as of July 1 st, I will be done!!!!

Message 13 of 1,448
latest reply

@bermudawordlanguagelearningmethod wrote:

In my experience (I have another shop site) listing in Canadian dollars is really disastrous for sales.

What's the reason behind this? Does "discussion thread" mean actual discussion or is the decision already taken?

Hi bermudawordlanguagelearningmethod.

This is an actual discussion about a decision that has already been made. In this case, the decision was made after several rounds of focus groups and discussions with Canadian sellers. 

If you're curious why we made this change, you can read more about it here - it's the first question in our FAQ at http://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/list-in-cad/usd-retirement-faqs.html.

Message 14 of 1,448
latest reply

@jimbo_kw wrote:

I have only been here 2 years but I cannot believe how eBay can continue to F___ things up.

Well..... if it is a Canadian Site and we can only use CAN $'s then can we assume all fees and charges from eBay & PayPal Canada will also be listed and collected in CAN$ ?????

....and if  it is a Canadian Site and we can only use CAN $'s then can we assume that we will no longer have to deal with a separate USA Region in seller performance and it will be replaced with a Canadian Region????

Hello jimbo_kw,

As I mentioned in an earlier post, you can choose in which currency you are billed.

As for the Seller Standards regions, these have no connection at all with what changes we are announcing today. Canadian sellers will continue to get measured on their sales to US buyers for their US Standards and on their sales to all buyers for their Global Standards.

For the record, eBay Canada is the only eBay site in the world to ever have offered the possibility to list in more than the local currency. By making this change, we are actually correcting an anomaly that has prevented us from bringing many features and enhancements to Canadian users.

Message 15 of 1,448
latest reply

If we decide to move over to ebay.com how will our views be affected? Also, how will our listings be affected? Will the shipping be clear it's coming from Canada?

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

Hello Canadian sellers,

Message 16 of 1,448
latest reply

@adam.519 wrote:

If we decide to move over to ebay.com how will our views be affected? Also, how will our listings be affected? Will the shipping be clear it's coming from Canada? 

Hello Adam,

Listing site and listing currency are not factors in Best Match search rankings, so merely moving your items to eBay.com will not, by itself, affect your views. Also, all items listed on eBay, regardless of site, need to have their location specified on the listing. Even though eBay.com will not offer you as accurate shipping services as eBay.ca does, it will allow you to specify your shipping with enough accuracy to keep your buyers informed on where your items come from.

Message 17 of 1,448
latest reply

If you change your billing currency on ebay to CAD, and list on ebay.ca in CAD, you will save yourself the aggravation and cost of conversion. In paypal, simply change your primary currency to CAD from USD. This isn't strictly speaking necessary on paypal; they will still take their "pound of flesh" regardless of whichever currency is paid into your account.. I will migrate my listings to ebay.com because as someone else pointed out, Canadians don't buy much and most of my customers are either in USA or "down under" lol

@antiquesincanada wrote:

Message 18 of 1,448
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ferret-mom wrote:

I suppose it was inevitable. Unfortunately, the move will likely have a deleterious effect on already flagging sales.

I mean no disrespect to our friends south of the border, but I have a feeling that many US buyers will be confused or unwilling to undertake a transaction in a "foreign" currency.

Just wondering if sellers in China will now have to list items in yuan? 

Hi Ferret-mom.

When sellers list on eBay.cn, they do indeed have to list in yuan. Items listed on eBay.cn do not surface on eBay.ca or eBay.com though.

eBay.ca is the only eBay site in the world to have ever supported more than one listing currency.

Message 19 of 1,448
latest reply

And how will it impact our views on the ebay.ca website? Do ebay.ca or cdn dollar listing get preference in Canada?
Most of my customers are in the USA so I'm trying to determine the best approach. I didn't find your tool that useful on the other page.
Message 20 of 1,448
latest reply