2015 Fall Seller Update

Welcome to the 2015 Fall Seller Update discussion thread. Myself and other eBay staff will read all your comments and do our best to respond as our schedules permit.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 298
latest reply
297 REPLIES 297

2015 Fall Seller Update

For viewers unaware of the update, here is the link:

http://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/news/fallupdate2015/index.html

The update on eBay.com (it may affect Canadian sellers listing on eBay,com):

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/news/fallupdate2015/index.html

Message 2 of 298
latest reply

2015 Fall Seller Update

"You'll be recognized for on-time shipping if tracking shows your item was either shipped within the stated handling time or delivered by the estimated delivery date. If there's no tracking available, we'll check with your buyer. If your buyer confirms the item was delivered on time, you'll be recognized for on-time shipping.

Shipments will be considered late only when:

• Tracking shows that the item was delivered after the estimated delivery date and there's no acceptance scan within your handling time, or there's no confirmation from the buyer of on-time delivery; or
  • The buyer confirms that the item was delivered after the estimated delivery date and there's no acceptance within your handling time, or there's no delivery confirmation by the estimated delivery date"

What does that mean for Canadian sellers shipping without tracking when

... listing on eBay.ca?

... listing on eBay.com?

Message 3 of 298
latest reply

2015 Fall Seller Update

Will we in Canada be subject to the same tracking requirements as in the US for the late delivery.

If we don't use tracking and a buyer says not received prior to estimated delivery date, we are dead in the water?

Message 4 of 298
latest reply

2015 Fall Seller Update

There seems to be two conflicting statements.

Shipments will be considered late only when:

• Tracking shows item was delivered after the estimated delivery date and there's no acceptance scan within your handling time or there's no confirmation from the buyer of on-time delivery, or

FAQ

What happens if there is tracking information available on the transaction

If there's no tracking information to confirm that the item was shipped or delivered on time, eBay will ask your buyer if the item was delivered by the estimated delivery date. If buyer responds the item was delivered on time, you'll be recognized for on-time shipping.

When there's no tracking information available on the transaction and no response from the buyer, the transaction will not be included in the on-time shipping calculation.

The first statement says that if there is no tracking info and the buyer does not state if the item was received on time, the shipment is considered to be late. I would assume that would go towards our late percentage.

But isn't the second statement saying that the transaction won't be counted at all if there is no tracking and no confirmation from the buyer and that it wouldn't go towards our late percentage?

Message 5 of 298
latest reply

2015 Fall Seller Update

What is going to happen to the 20% FVF discount on .ca and .com with these new shipping time lines that most of us can't meet? Will we still be eligible for the discount and listing on .com if we can't meet the requirements or even eligible at all?

Message 6 of 298
latest reply

2015 Fall Seller Update

If we cancel a transaction due to an address issue, will that count as a defect now?

Message 7 of 298
latest reply

2015 Fall Seller Update

If we are going to be judged on tracking information and when the shipping agent receives our items would it be possible when using Ebay shipping that we can create a scan form for our shipments so USPS will scan our items when received? 

The problem with the Ebay shipping platform is that there currently is no way to create a scan form for our daily shipments to USPS and as a high volume shipper USPS will not scan my packages 1 at a time upon receiving them the the postal facility.

I can see this new policy greatly affecting the shipping metrics for many sellers.

Message 8 of 298
latest reply

2015 Fall Seller Update

Hi Raphael,

The update states Shipments will be considered late only when:

Tracking shows that the item was delivered after the estimated delivery date and there's no acceptance scan within your handling time, or there's no confirmation from the buyer of on-time delivery; 

Then it also says:
When there's no tracking information available and no response from the buyer, the transaction will not be included in the on-time shipping calculation.

Okay, I may be reading thiis incorrectly, but doesn't that first paragraph actually say that if there is no tracking or acceptance scan OR buyer confirmation then you receive a defect? I know the next paragraph refutes this but it reads as if a defect will be given if your buyer doesn't bother to confirm delivery. I'm concerned because a lot of Canadian sellers do not/can not ship with tracking.

Thanks.

Message 9 of 298
latest reply

2015 Fall Seller Update

Guess pj beat me to it!

Message 10 of 298
latest reply

2015 Fall Seller Update

@4dealeo wrote:

If we are going to be judged on tracking information and when the shipping agent receives our items would it be possible when using Ebay shipping that we can create a scan form for our shipments so USPS will scan our items when received? 

The problem with the Ebay shipping platform is that there currently is no way to create a scan form for our daily shipments to USPS and as a high volume shipper USPS will not scan my packages 1 at a time upon receiving them the the postal facility.

I can see this new policy greatly affecting the shipping metrics for many sellers.

U.S. sellers have often mentioned a scan form so it's my understanding that there is one available when you are using USPS and ebay shipping. Perhaps check on the U.S. boards?

Message 11 of 298
latest reply

2015 Fall Seller Update

Great minds Smiley Very Happy

Message 12 of 298
latest reply

2015 Fall Seller Update

So to understand this correctly, if I don't ship with tracking, which 90% of the time I don't because of Canada Posts astronomical rates to the U.S, Ebay will judge me based on the feedback question presented to buyers "did your item arrive by a certain date". The concern is, many of my feedback come weeks after an item has been received. How is that buyer supposed to remember if it arrived by a specific date. Many U.S buyers think that shipping from Canada takes way too long as they are comparing it to U.S shipments.My listings clearly state that I am shipping from Canada and I correspond to each buyer when shipping what the Canada Post standards are. Even stating this, I have customers that contact me after 2 days looking for their goods. When it comes time for them to leave feedback, i'm concerned that will be on their mind. With no tracking to defend ourselves we are basically relying on the whim of buyers to remember if the goods were on time or not. That concerns me especially since many of my buyers are newbies with under 20-50 feedback and don't fully understand cross border purchases and truthfully many are surprised that they even bought an item form a Canadian seller! Because I so rarely ship with tracking and the allowable defect rate % has been significantly reduced, it could impact many Canadian sellers swiftly and remove our TRS status in short order. Am I missing something? Are we protected in anyway from mindless clicking on "no the item did not arrive on time"? 

Message 13 of 298
latest reply

2015 Fall Seller Update

aS A cANADIAN SELLER.. i have issues with the new proposed system, it is an unfair way to measure shipment times, for Canadian sellers, for example, right now, my items show 3-17 days for Canada delivery, while it shows 7-11 days for the USA, who figures out how long it takes to get somewhere..They are called postal standards, and they are at best, just their best estimates..in canada we can't ship something across the country for $3.00 with tracking .. it isn't practical for us to ship cheaper items with 12$ shipping with tracking info..

and how may people just refuse to leave feedback because they are too lazy to do so, so as canadians we have to assume they have received their items. so if all they have to do now is click item was received after the date you or the postal service came up with, we get penalized, that is just wrong..

Please rethink what you are proposing it is not an effective way of conducting business.

Last time i checked i am not the one who picks up the mail and actually delivers it to the customer, so how can i be held responsible for the effectiveness of the postal service..

Again this is a Canada issue as we can't get tracking info for less than 10-12$, and when or if you answer this please be specific to Canada sellers concerns..

Message 14 of 298
latest reply

2015 Fall Seller Update

The FAQ state:

"The new on-time shipping metric holds you accountable for what you can truly control"

That sounds great!

Keep reading (for sellers shipping without tracking)

"No tracking information is available, but your buyer responds positively to the new item delivery question at the time of feedback confirms the item was delivered by the estimated delivery date"

Now, please tell me, how does a seller "truly control" the estimated delivery date, something assigned by your system (not the seller)?

How can eBay states it is something the seller "can truly control"?

Will someone at HQ take a walk around the block, clear their head, and come up with a logical answer

Message 15 of 298
latest reply

2015 Fall Seller Update

keep giving kudo's to this so maybe someone will take notice..
Message 16 of 298
latest reply

2015 Fall Seller Update

Defects -

1.How will Paypal inr and nad claims work? Will we get a defect in those situations only if they have to escalate the claim through Paypal? 

Customizing returns section

2.Sellers are still responsible for return shipping in a not as described situation...correct?

3.Is this going to allow us to provide a return label for international buyers?

4.I see that there is a restocking fee option but will it be possible to hold back original shipping costs when the return

is a buyers remorse return and original shipping was not free?

Message 17 of 298
latest reply

2015 Fall Seller Update

How will eBay confirm on-time shipping if there's no tracking?

If you don't upload tracking or there's no tracking available, we'll ask your buyer to confirm if the item arrived by the estimated delivery date. Buyers will see the question when they leave feedback and will be presented with a simple yes/no option to confirm whether the item arrived by the estimated delivery date. You'll be recognized for on-time shipping if the buyer confirms that the item arrived by the estimated delivery date.

Let's think about this for a minute.

Why would eBay even ask the question to the buyer when feedback is posted within the "estimated (by eBay) delivery date"?

If the seller ships on the 1st (for example) and the "estimated (by eBay) delivery date" is the 9th, why would eBay even ask a buyer posting positive feedback on the 9th or earlier if the item was received by the "estimated (by eBay) delivery date"?

Is there a logic here?  eBay already knows the answer.  Why ask?

Message 18 of 298
latest reply

2015 Fall Seller Update

because the odd person leaves feedback right after the auction ends, so ebay dimisses all feedback left as an acknowledgement of item received,, trust me on this it has happened to me..
Message 19 of 298
latest reply

2015 Fall Seller Update

Anonymous
Not applicable

The "lack-of-tracking-services that Canada Post offers" issue aside,  how does ~eBays estimated delivery date~ (that they decide) stack up against Canada Post's disclaimer that "delivery timelines are just guidelines and not guarantees due to possible hold-ups at custom checkpoints" at countries' borders.  Which by the way happens more often than one would think (tighened up after 9/11 and again more during current terrorist times).

I just fear for unfounded defects for delivery time issues beyond my control.  I ship out daily by the way, sometimes 2xce as I like to stay on top of things - still late packages happen due to customs pitstops.  Cat Sad

Message 20 of 298
latest reply