2015 Fall Seller Update

Welcome to the 2015 Fall Seller Update discussion thread. Myself and other eBay staff will read all your comments and do our best to respond as our schedules permit.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 298
latest reply
297 REPLIES 297

2015 Fall Seller Update

most of us have lost faith in this company and moved to the other auction outlets, as well this NEW "On-time shipping: A new metric will be used to measure whether you shipped or delivered your item on time based on tracking information when available." is no good to us cross border Canadian shippers as many of us use a courier to bring the packages to the USA they are then shipped via UPS USPS etc the couriers do not give us any sort of tracking numbers so we do not have a actually tracking number until the courier brings us the second shippers number

Message 21 of 298
latest reply

2015 Fall Seller Update

Thank you.

First, I would like to offer an opinion and I realize fully it is one that likely won't win me any friends among my peers and that is this: I don't like what ebay has done with defects in this update. I think it now swings too far back in favour of sellers who provide poor service. Like everyone else with something for sale on ebay, I live in continual fear of unwarranted defects but this move to eliminate all apparent consequences for poor seller service with the exception of three things: late deliveries, seller-cancelled transactions, and cases closed without seller resolution....T? That is too little. What consequence is left now to prevent the really lousy giant sellers from continuing their really lousy service to unwitting ebayers? To eliminate negatives and neutrals and lows DSRs from defect consequence renders the feedback process to be totally pointless now for buyers. I didn't agree with an automatic defect for a buyer posing the question 'my item hasn't arrived' and that is the full extent of what I would have liked to see removed but so be it. I accept that my solo opinion here won't make any difference.

My actual question is, again, about product identifiers and the Product Catalogue. From http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/product-details.html it says: "To help buyers find the product they want, items in certain categories must be listed using our product catalogue. 

If you don't follow this policy, your item won't qualify for the value box, which highlights the best deal from a Top-rated seller at the top of product pages. Your listing will also be flagged and reviewed for possible catalogue matches. Make sure your listing follows these guidelines. If it doesn't, it may be removed, and you may be subject to a range of other actions, including restrictions of your buying and selling privileges and suspension of your account..... If the item is not available in the catalogue, select the Continue listing without a product link and list your item as you normally would."

What items in certain categories are those?

And when I try to "If you can't find the correct product in the catalogue, you can add a product to the catalogue yourself." I get taken to a page that says "There is a system problem. Please try again later."

Is this process going to allow me to finally find what I sell in the Product Catalogue? And if I have to add hundreds (if not thousands) of items myself is ebay going to compensate me for my time? Because ultimately, I'll be doing work that is going to allow other competing sellers to waltz in after I've created Product Catalogue entires and 'sell one like this' on something I took the time to make from scratch. No? 

Thank you for your insight. 

Message 22 of 298
latest reply

2015 Fall Seller Update

and when i ship an item to the usa, that is 2.85$ when it is a certain weight, me receit shows the postal code it is being sent to, with the weight and the date shipped. but ebay doesn't consider that proof of shipment, because it doesn't have tracking,, so what do they think i am mailing air envelopes at 3$ a piece just because.. they really need to step back and actually talk to people in Canada doing business with the US on a daily basis..
Message 23 of 298
latest reply

2015 Fall Seller Update

I find it almost comical that we lowly sellers can "truly control" the postal service! What are they thinking, and to be penalized when a shipment is late based on an estimation that we can't control. Even Canada post calls their standard "guidelines", yet Ebay states that we can control this???
Message 24 of 298
latest reply

2015 Fall Seller Update

amya4295 wrote:..... Are we protected in anyway from mindless clicking on "no the item did not arrive on time"? 

Or are we protected in any way from the Fat Finger Phenomena as it pertains to buyers leaving unintended feedback accidentally on their mobile devices?

Message 25 of 298
latest reply

2015 Fall Seller Update

Would a scan of a Post Office stamp (those big round inked stamps confirming time and date of acceptance) on a copy of the applicable Paypal label, be acceptable as proof of time of dispatch?  

Because I am "old-school", I print out an extra copy of every Paypal label and have it stamped like this when I put the parcel on the counter at the Post Office.  This could easily be scanned and submitted by a Canadian seller as proof in lieu of a Canada Post online scan.  Could this not be incorporated into eBay's new policy? 

By the way, occasionally even tracked parcels do not get scanned immediately when they are left at the Post Office.  I've had this occur, and now stand there at the counter to check that the clerk actually does their job.  What happens if the acceptance scan is missed? 

Like other sellers here, another big concern is that buyers already pay little enough attention to details, and are just as likely to say the item didn't arrive within the delivery estimate as to say it did, especially if FB is left weeks after the delivery. 

Message 26 of 298
latest reply

2015 Fall Seller Update

@rose-dee wrote:

.... I've had this occur, and now stand there at the counter to check that the clerk actually does their job.  What happens if the acceptance scan is missed? 

I do this EVERY time. Not only do I stand in line at the counter during business hours, I make SURE they print out the receipt to show it was accepted at the counter. One is available for every tracked service for paypal printed postage labels as well as the untraced Small Packets Airmail. Sometimes, at some counters, they are a bit, ahem, annoyed to have to take the time to print out that receipt for Small Packets but I insist: it is proof of shipment. And, by the way, does that count as an acceptance scan? No. It's still a valid piece of documentation, however, for both ebay and the buyer. For international shipments when duty is being assessed, this Unregistered Mail number is quoted to the buyer on Customs documentation so that he or she knows what item awaits their attention and tax payment.

Ebay sellers in Canada should NOT be penalized for having an un-level platting field with Canada Post versus USPS. It's an old tune but I'll keep singing it. 

Message 27 of 298
latest reply

2015 Fall Seller Update

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pierrelebel wrote:

"You'll be recognized for on-time shipping if tracking shows your item was either shipped within the stated handling time or delivered by the estimated delivery date. If there's no tracking available, we'll check with your buyer. If your buyer confirms the item was delivered on time, you'll be recognized for on-time shipping.

Shipments will be considered late only when:

• Tracking shows that the item was delivered after the estimated delivery date and there's no acceptance scan within your handling time, or there's no confirmation from the buyer of on-time delivery; or
  • The buyer confirms that the item was delivered after the estimated delivery date and there's no acceptance within your handling time, or there's no delivery confirmation by the estimated delivery date"

What does that mean for Canadian sellers shipping without tracking when

... listing on eBay.ca?

... listing on eBay.com?

Hi PIerrelebel.

Where there is no tracking, there is no acceptance scan we can use to see if the seller shipped within stated handling time. In these cases we will rely on the buyer's answer to whether the item arrived on or before the delivery estimate. This is the case no matter which site one lists on.

As a lettermail or oversized lettermail/packet seller, you still have some options, regardless of listing site.

Delivery estimates are a function of two things: The shipping services you offer on a listing, and the handling time.

If you offer a longer handling time, the date estimate the buyer rates you on will be later.

Depending on your choice of a generic service on either listing site, or a branded one from Canada Post, UPS, FedEx or even USPS (for those who list on .com and ship from inside the USA), we either use the latest date in the range for that serrvice, or use the calculated point to point delivery estimate where available. So you can influence the delivery estimates through the selection of service.

Hope that helps.

Message 28 of 298
latest reply

2015 Fall Seller Update

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dutchman48 wrote:

Will we in Canada be subject to the same tracking requirements as in the US for the late delivery.

If we don't use tracking and a buyer says not received prior to estimated delivery date, we are dead in the water?

Hi Dutchman48

If you don't use tracking then we rely on the buyer's answer to the delivery estimate questions. You can manage delivery estimates somewhat through your choice of the shipping service you offer to buyers on a listing and the handling time. 

Message 29 of 298
latest reply

2015 Fall Seller Update

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

There seems to be two conflicting statements.

Shipments will be considered late only when:

• Tracking shows item was delivered after the estimated delivery date and there's no acceptance scan within your handling time or there's no confirmation from the buyer of on-time delivery, or

FAQ

What happens if there is tracking information available on the transaction

If there's no tracking information to confirm that the item was shipped or delivered on time, eBay will ask your buyer if the item was delivered by the estimated delivery date. If buyer responds the item was delivered on time, you'll be recognized for on-time shipping.

When there's no tracking information available on the transaction and no response from the buyer, the transaction will not be included in the on-time shipping calculation.

The first statement says that if there is no tracking info and the buyer does not state if the item was received on time, the shipment is considered to be late. I would assume that would go towards our late percentage.

But isn't the second statement saying that the transaction won't be counted at all if there is no tracking and no confirmation from the buyer and that it wouldn't go towards our late percentage?

Great question. I had to read that twice. 🙂

I think the first example is meant to be about a situation where the item was shipped with tracking, was delivered late, and the acceptance scan shows that it wasn't shipped within the stated handling time. .

The second example is about a situation where there is no tracking.  

Message 30 of 298
latest reply

2015 Fall Seller Update

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dutchman48 wrote:

What is going to happen to the 20% FVF discount on .ca and .com with these new shipping time lines that most of us can't meet? Will we still be eligible for the discount and listing on .com if we can't meet the requirements or even eligible at all?

Hi duthman48

As before, Canadians will get the FVF discount on their eBay.ca and eBay.com listings if they can make the Top Rated requirements under either the US or Global program. In both cases, that is now about managing a simpler defect rate. Ship within handling time using the kind of service promised on the listing, and avoid seller-cancelled transactions.

For anyone who is using tracking, all you need to do is make sure you ship inside your stated handling time, and upload your tracking.

For anyone who is not using tracking, you can increase the handling time if you believe you can't deliver within the estimates associated with the service you selected.

Message 31 of 298
latest reply

2015 Fall Seller Update

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dutchman48 wrote:

If we cancel a transaction due to an address issue, will that count as a defect now?

Not sure on this one.

Does that happen to you often?

Message 32 of 298
latest reply

2015 Fall Seller Update

Anonymous
Not applicable

@4dealeo wrote:

If we are going to be judged on tracking information and when the shipping agent receives our items would it be possible when using Ebay shipping that we can create a scan form for our shipments so USPS will scan our items when received? 

The problem with the Ebay shipping platform is that there currently is no way to create a scan form for our daily shipments to USPS and as a high volume shipper USPS will not scan my packages 1 at a time upon receiving them the the postal facility.

I can see this new policy greatly affecting the shipping metrics for many sellers.

Hi 4dealeo

I'm not sure I understand. Do you ship from Canada using Canada Post labels? Or do you ship from inside the USA using USPS labels? We Canadians know more about Canada Post than USPS....

Message 33 of 298
latest reply

2015 Fall Seller Update

Anonymous
Not applicable

@msmaggie060 wrote:

Hi Raphael,

The update states Shipments will be considered late only when:

Tracking shows that the item was delivered after the estimated delivery date and there's no acceptance scan within your handling time, or there's no confirmation from the buyer of on-time delivery; 

Then it also says:
When there's no tracking information available and no response from the buyer, the transaction will not be included in the on-time shipping calculation.

Okay, I may be reading thiis incorrectly, but doesn't that first paragraph actually say that if there is no tracking or acceptance scan OR buyer confirmation then you receive a defect? I know the next paragraph refutes this but it reads as if a defect will be given if your buyer doesn't bother to confirm delivery. I'm concerned because a lot of Canadian sellers do not/can not ship with tracking.

Thanks.

Hi. Just responded to the same question above. 🙂   What was meant by "and there's no acceptance scan within your handling time" was "and the acceptance scan was after your handling time elapsed". The first part of the sentence refers to what the tracking info shows, so this is not about a scenario with no scan info, it is about a scenario where the seller did not ship within stated handling time.

Message 34 of 298
latest reply

2015 Fall Seller Update

Anonymous
Not applicable

@msmaggie060 wrote:

Guess pj beat me to it!

Because that really needed clarifying! Thank you.

Message 35 of 298
latest reply

2015 Fall Seller Update

Anonymous
Not applicable

@amya4295 wrote:

So to understand this correctly, if I don't ship with tracking, which 90% of the time I don't because of Canada Posts astronomical rates to the U.S, Ebay will judge me based on the feedback question presented to buyers "did your item arrive by a certain date". The concern is, many of my feedback come weeks after an item has been received. How is that buyer supposed to remember if it arrived by a specific date. Many U.S buyers think that shipping from Canada takes way too long as they are comparing it to U.S shipments.My listings clearly state that I am shipping from Canada and I correspond to each buyer when shipping what the Canada Post standards are. Even stating this, I have customers that contact me after 2 days looking for their goods. When it comes time for them to leave feedback, i'm concerned that will be on their mind. With no tracking to defend ourselves we are basically relying on the whim of buyers to remember if the goods were on time or not. That concerns me especially since many of my buyers are newbies with under 20-50 feedback and don't fully understand cross border purchases and truthfully many are surprised that they even bought an item form a Canadian seller! Because I so rarely ship with tracking and the allowable defect rate % has been significantly reduced, it could impact many Canadian sellers swiftly and remove our TRS status in short order. Am I missing something? Are we protected in anyway from mindless clicking on "no the item did not arrive on time"? 

Hi amya4295

We believe this is a much better system than a completely subjective question about rating the shipping cost and shipping time.

For sellers who use tracking, it is fantastic.

For sellers who don't or can't use tracking, this is a much more objective question for us to use. We believe this will work out much better for Canadian sellers, since the delivery estimate is based on real cross border data, and not on the buyer's perception of when they think it should arrive.

Message 36 of 298
latest reply

2015 Fall Seller Update

Anonymous
Not applicable

@esclyons wrote:

aS A cANADIAN SELLER.. i have issues with the new proposed system, it is an unfair way to measure shipment times, for Canadian sellers, for example, right now, my items show 3-17 days for Canada delivery, while it shows 7-11 days for the USA, who figures out how long it takes to get somewhere..They are called postal standards, and they are at best, just their best estimates..in canada we can't ship something across the country for $3.00 with tracking .. it isn't practical for us to ship cheaper items with 12$ shipping with tracking info..

and how may people just refuse to leave feedback because they are too lazy to do so, so as canadians we have to assume they have received their items. so if all they have to do now is click item was received after the date you or the postal service came up with, we get penalized, that is just wrong..

Please rethink what you are proposing it is not an effective way of conducting business.

Last time i checked i am not the one who picks up the mail and actually delivers it to the customer, so how can i be held responsible for the effectiveness of the postal service..

Again this is a Canada issue as we can't get tracking info for less than 10-12$, and when or if you answer this please be specific to Canada sellers concerns..

Sorry you feel this way esclyons.We believe this is much fairer than the subjective 1-5 rating scales on ship cost and ship time.

Delivery estimates are a function of the shipping services you select for your listing and the handling time you offer. If you can't make the estimate, then consider modifying your shipping service selection and/or lengthening your handling time.

Message 37 of 298
latest reply

2015 Fall Seller Update

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pierrelebel wrote:

The FAQ state:

"The new on-time shipping metric holds you accountable for what you can truly control"

That sounds great!

Keep reading (for sellers shipping without tracking)

"No tracking information is available, but your buyer responds positively to the new item delivery question at the time of feedback confirms the item was delivered by the estimated delivery date"

Now, please tell me, how does a seller "truly control" the estimated delivery date, something assigned by your system (not the seller)?

How can eBay states it is something the seller "can truly control"?

Will someone at HQ take a walk around the block, clear their head, and come up with a logical answer

Hi Pierrelebel

You control it by adjusting handling time, or selecting a shipping service with a slower estimate.

Where calculated estimates are in use, they are based on years of actual delivery and feedback data, not shipper marketing claims. Where we are using large ranges, we would like your feedback if you think the ranges are off the mark.  

Message 38 of 298
latest reply

2015 Fall Seller Update

But.....many, many Canadian sellers can't use tracking because of the prohibitive costs so to say that it is fantastic for those using tracking eliminates many Canadian sellers. The buyer is really rating Canada Post because once it leaves my hands in 1 day handling there is nothing I can do, so why would you allow the buyer to answer that question and penalize a seller that has done everything right. I can ship a small pack air to California from Ontario that can arrive in 4 business days and the next week ship the same service to Florida (much closer) and it can take the full 10 days. How is that my fault and why am I as the seller judged on that and potentially penalized? It just doesn't make sense. We have zero options here to protect ourselves.

Message 39 of 298
latest reply

2015 Fall Seller Update

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Defects -

1.How will Paypal inr and nad claims work? Will we get a defect in those situations only if they have to escalate the claim through Paypal? 

Customizing returns section

2.Sellers are still responsible for return shipping in a not as described situation...correct?

3.Is this going to allow us to provide a return label for international buyers?

4.I see that there is a restocking fee option but will it be possible to hold back original shipping costs when the return

is a buyers remorse return and original shipping was not free?

Not ignoring you, but these are better left for Raphael. We will post more answers tomorrow. I'm just responding to a few before getting back to the night part of my day job here. 😉

Message 40 of 298
latest reply