2015 Spring Seller Update

Hello everyone,

We've just released the details of the 2015 Spring Seller Update. You can read all the details here:

http://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/news/springupdate2015/index.html

Feel free to post any questions, I'll do my best to come here daily to answer as much as possible.

Happy Spring!

Message 1 of 93
latest reply
92 REPLIES 92

Hi i have been paying a lot over the past week with fixed auction prices an having to pay 30 cents every time i list a hockey card that i am selling for 2 to  5 dollars it adds up especially if they don't sell. If fixed auction is now free is there anyway i can get reimbursed for all the money i have forked out over the past few days with fixed price fees cause it seems every time i list a bunch of cards i will get slapped with as many 30 cent fees as possible an then when the card doesn't sell i got a bill at the end of the month worth more then what i am  selling some of these cards for in the first place. And it always happens that after i list all my cards an pay all my 30 cent fees i will get an email or message two days later saying ohh you can list free or some kinda deal where all of a sudden now it doesn't cost me to list. I am  just wondering my intention is not to come off like i am angry i am just confused an could use some help i also have a buyer who bought an item who hasn't paid the case has been open for over a week he has not done anything nor replied to my emails what should i do now?

Message 21 of 93
latest reply

Thnak you Raphael,

Hmmm from my point of view this will cost me a lot, not sure I will save anything... for now I did not pay for any insertion fee for any of my item.

Really hard to follow... Maybe I'm not enough flent in english, I will wait the french version 

Message 22 of 93
latest reply

@niagara_hockey_collector88 wrote:

Hi i have been paying a lot over the past week with fixed auction prices an having to pay 30 cents every time i list a hockey card that i am selling for 2 to  5 dollars it adds up especially if they don't sell. If fixed auction is now free is there anyway i can get reimbursed for all the money i have forked out over the past few days with fixed price fees cause it seems every time i list a bunch of cards i will get slapped with as many 30 cent fees as possible an then when the card doesn't sell i got a bill at the end of the month worth more then what i am  selling some of these cards for in the first place. And it always happens that after i list all my cards an pay all my 30 cent fees i will get an email or message two days later saying ohh you can list free or some kinda deal where all of a sudden now it doesn't cost me to list. I am  just wondering my intention is not to come off like i am angry i am just confused an could use some help i also have a buyer who bought an item who hasn't paid the case has been open for over a week he has not done anything nor replied to my emails what should i do now?

Hi niagara_hockey_collector88,

Unfortunately we don't offer the refund of insertion fees. Also, please note that under the new fee structure that roll out on May 1, it's auction listings that become zero insertion fees IF they sell. All your current listings are fixed price, this wouldn't apply to these.

Regarding your buyer who didn't pay, assuming you opened an unpaid item case (as opposed to a mutual cancellation request), you should be able to close the case and get your refund 4 days after opening the case if the buyer doesn't respond.

Message 23 of 93
latest reply

@rockp5233 wrote:

Thnak you Raphael,

Hmmm from my point of view this will cost me a lot, not sure I will save anything... for now I did not pay for any insertion fee for any of my item.

Really hard to follow... Maybe I'm not enough flent in english, I will wait the french version 

What I meant in my previous post was that you can use the Store subscription to mitigate the higher insertion fees.

Message 24 of 93
latest reply

I paid for a subtitle on my listing hoping this would get more hits just to find out that the subtitle was not searchable. I tested it several days in a row and confirmed that it was not searchable.

I did report it to ebay with the rep confirming it was not searching my subtitle.

Years ago your search such as "made in france" where these words only appear in the description could be searched (so in other words, within your search category, anywhere these words appeared would show up in your search results - in recent years this is no longer the case

I also noticed that when initiate a search I get search results that do not have my search words included.

Message 25 of 93
latest reply

@elfie2nbr wrote:

I paid for a subtitle on my listing hoping this would get more hits just to find out that the subtitle was not searchable. I tested it several days in a row and confirmed that it was not searchable.

I did report it to ebay with the rep confirming it was not searching my subtitle.

Years ago your search such as "made in france" where these words only appear in the description could be searched (so in other words, within your search category, anywhere these words appeared would show up in your search results - in recent years this is no longer the case

I also noticed that when initiate a search I get search results that do not have my search words included.

Hi elfie2nbr,

Let's keep this thread on topic please, this is a discussion on the 2015 Spring Seller Update we announced yesterday.

I invite you to post this in the Weekly Board Hour thread we have going for today, I'll be there for a little while longer and can speak to this better there.

Message 26 of 93
latest reply

For these new updates I am very disappointed! that the Global Shipping Program has not been eliminated.

This program costs Canadians a ridiculously high amount on shipping costs.

This in turn affects sellers because, as a Canadian there are many items now that I would normally purchase from ebay that I no longer purchase.

Message 27 of 93
latest reply

I am in disbelief that ebay is reducing the monthly free listings from 100 monthly listings to 20, (5 listings a week in a month). I don't understand this move? Will is attract more new sellers? No! Will it increase my number of listings? No! Will I sale more and in return increase ebay revenues? No! Is this helping me develop my hobby in to a business? No! It is simply pushing a small ebay seller away and limiting options for buyer.

GREAT BUSINESS STRATEGY ebay! Must be a greedy guy in a business suit sitting in a corner office that made this decision...

This is an undercover boss time for ebay I think! Put yourself in the shoes of a small seller. Understand what we do and why... It's not all about the large amount of merchandise and big money! It's also about small transactions, hobby and collections.

You want small size sellers to open an ebay store... Ok but make it worth our while... Offer more than a hundred free listing (auction style) in a basic store... We don't gain anything... We lose on all fronts!

I'm disappointed, frustrated and would realy like ebay to explain the logic? Not a quick damage controle response.
Message 28 of 93
latest reply

As other sellers said, reducing the monthly free listings from 100 to 20 and raising media insertion fees are very bad decisions.  The fact that the listing fee is refunded if the item sells might be somewhat good, but I can't afford to pay for items that don't sell.  Same thing applies to ebay store fees.  I'm in the process of selling my whole cd collection, so I'll have thousands of items for sale.  I guess I'll sell elsewhere and list only when there are insertion fee promotions.  Good job eBay. 😞

Message 29 of 93
latest reply

This is a HUGE increase for media sellers. it will be interesting to see how many booksellers will migrate to other sites.

A quick look today showed 5.7 million books in the BOOK category. Let's check after May 1

Message 30 of 93
latest reply

Going from 100 listings to 20? This is only for eBay's benefit and in no way will help any seller.

I have about 400 items listed so am I supposed to pay 30 cents for 380 listings-$114?? No -so you say open a store and pay 49.95 or 59.95 a month to get 500 fixed price listings-so THIS is the plan-to force sellers to pay this fee that eBay will have a steady income.

Looks like you are only interested in your bottom line and how to vacuum more money from sellers.

Please DO explain how this helps me because I must be daft not to be excited. 

I guess my listings will have to sit unlisted until you deign to have a Free Listing Promo and invite me, if you invite me.  Don't you see that when these free promos are on that your sales go flying up? Isn't the 10% final value fees on the item AND the shipping worth more than the fees for store subscriptions that you think you are going to get??

No -sellers will not subscribe,instead they will start looking elsewhere or will sit and wait and only sell when they have free listing days.

This Will backfire big time-mark my words-there is no positive spin to be put on this-give us MORE free listings-not LESS-come on-do you think we do not want to sell??

We want to list items that are sell,just as much as you want us to have items that sell-this is not working with the sellers -this is alienating your sellers.

Message 31 of 93
latest reply

Concerning the decrease of free listings per month, I totally agree with what almost everybody said here... 100 to 40 per month (because I only list collectibles) is not helpful at all. It will just decrease the number of listings I do per month and therefore decrease the profit you are making from me. Very disappointed by this update... although I should not be surprised, because I have ALWAYS been disappointed and frustrated by each update since the last 3 years... 😞

Message 32 of 93
latest reply

So, I have almost 200 listings and right now I manage to not have to pay any insertion fees-with my 100 listings and the "Free Listings" Promos.

The only one to gain from this is eBay because I would have to pay $49.95 or 59.95 to open a store and that provides a steady source of income for them-what does it do for me? Nothing but take more fees.

Or I can just wait for those 'free listing" promos and my items can sit dead until that such time.

Don't we all want to sell? Isn't that what it is all about? Provide MORE listings not LESS.

Don't we all make more money when all of our listings are active during these Promos? Let's work together to sell more not less.

Sellers should be awarded monthly free listings on a scale-perhaps adjusted according to how many years a seller has been selling on eBay. Add an extra 25 each year and that will give sellers an incentive to stay long term not by forcing them to open stores.

Or reward sellers by volume that they sell-either by number of items or by $$ that they generate-give more listings according to level of sales. This will encourage sellers to work harder to have a higher sales volume in order to be rewarded with more free listings.

Try to encourage us and not Discourage us with this nonsense.

Whoever is patting themselves on the back for coming up with this idea will most likely be shown the door in a few months when all this backfires and sales are in the toilet.

We do this because it is fun and we can earn a little money but it is not fun anymore: eBay!

Message 33 of 93
latest reply

Nobody is going to like this but I agree with the 100 to 20 fee reduction.  If you sell auction style and your items do not sell then maybe you should either edit your listings so that they do sell...or list them as buy it now.   It is clear that if you start your auction's at near item value, that you may or may not get a bid for them.  EBay is trying to clean up the non-selling auctions with this move.

If your auction items sell every time.....the changes do not affect you.   You can sell 1000's of items a day at auction and pay nothing now in insertion fees now......If your item sells that is.  I list about 200 auctions per month and every one of them sell the first time.  This change will save me money since I was paying insertion fees for half of them before the change.....now I will pay nothing!!

I don't sell media so I can't speak for the fee increase there but it doesn't look good to me...???

Message 34 of 93
latest reply

This is the worst thing ever to happen to my business. I have been relying on my income from ebay and I rely on 1-3 day auctions. My items never make me more than a dollar or two each either so this is devastating.

Message 35 of 93
latest reply

DEAR Jordan Sweetnam
VP, Seller Experience

did they just hire you now and how much are they paying you,will it total all the fees that the sellers on Ebay will paying in fees and then when they fire you because of very bad marketing,your million dollar clause will fall into play,lucky you Mr SweetHam

Its the little people that are working their asses off,going to garage sales,flea markets,church bazars,our time,our gas and Ebay just waits to make money for nothing,We research god for bid we sould market our items wrong.We take pictures and and worry I hope it will because my son needs new glasses.

We are all nuts to do what we do.We are trying to make a living,make ends meet spouses lose their jobs,people get sick,kids get sick and one parent must stay home or be the hospital with them.Where are the companys that made you feel like family! Now its all about money and really Ebay is making money for doing no work,let the people work for us.

This is just BS,Time to tell 2 friends to move over to the other side,and 2 friends will tell 2 more and so on.

Message 36 of 93
latest reply

Instead of giving sellers  completely FREE listings and maybe charge more for sold items..ebay made destructive and stupid changes..  ebay - e- bye!!

Message 37 of 93
latest reply

Surprise another brilliant Ebay idea that will kill sales.I just can not afford this and I really depend on the income that I try and make here.I will just have to cancel my Ebay,try and finish my listings and move elsewhere.Thanks a lot Ebay and to the new guy,it might be a good idea now,lol,but in 5 to 6 months,they will be saying what the hell were we thing hiring that idiot.

Message 38 of 93
latest reply

Why are you not answering any of the important questions,because you don`t know how!!!1

Message 39 of 93
latest reply

What if its listed 10 times

Message 40 of 93
latest reply