2016 Spring Seller Update

Hello Canadian sellers,

This is the thread reserved for discussion around the 2016 Spring Seller Update announced today.

Read about the Update here:

http://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/news/sprupd16/index.html

Message 1 of 220
latest reply
219 REPLIES 219

Good afternoon

I noticed the shipping supplies offered to Canadian sellers with an eBay store is priced in US$.

I am puzzled that eBay.ca would offer a US$ price to Canadians after changing its policy of listing in Cdn$ only on the site 

Did not make much sense to me.

Can you explain what Canadian sellers can expect for that US$ price?  Will the goods be shipped from Canada?  Will GST/HST be added?

Message 2 of 220
latest reply

Regarding fee changes, what about non-stores? Same 50 free? Any changes for non-store specifically? I did not see non-store mentioned but I have yet to read and understand the update and then reread and understand some more.

Message 3 of 220
latest reply

According to .com, no changes at all to non stores as far as the 50 free.

My guess would be that all the changes to descriptions etc, would be applied to all listings

Message 4 of 220
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

According to .com, no changes at all to non stores

Thanks. That was my feeling but this is eBay where anything can happen.

Message 5 of 220
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Good afternoon

I noticed the shipping supplies offered to Canadian sellers with an eBay store is priced in US$.

I am puzzled that eBay.ca would offer a US$ price to Canadians after changing its policy of listing in Cdn$ only on the site 

Did not make much sense to me.

Can you explain what Canadian sellers can expect for that US$ price?  Will the goods be shipped from Canada?  Will GST/HST be added?

Hi Pierre,

Thanks for pointing that out. This is a perk that was added to the new Stores subscriptions rather quickly, we preferred being able to offer those to Canadian sellers now and adjust later to a Canadian dollars offering once we're able to set something up, rather than offering nothing. 

Message 6 of 220
latest reply

What exactly do the following refer to:

the value of the benefits that you will receive, excluding the value of new, dedicated customer service, is worth up to $1,500 per quarter.

the value of the benefits that you receive will be worth up to $165 per quarter.

the value of the benefits that you receive will be worth up to $350 per quarter.

Giving numbers with nothing to support them , how they are derived, and where they come from means very little without support for the numbers.

Please clarify.

Thanks

Message 7 of 220
latest reply

"once we're able to set something up"

Am I understand correctly that while American sellers will have access to this special pricing on quality shipping supplies this month, it will not be available to Canadians for some time?

"Later this month, sellers will be able to conveniently purchase affordable eBay-branded shipping supplies on eBay with quick handling time and free shipping. Premium-quality boxes, envelopes and tape are available at very competitive prices, providing you with one-stop shopping convenience for all your packaging needs. eBay-branded shipping supplies are eco-friendly, too."

"North American registered Store subscribers will also receive a coupon for eBay-branded shipping supplies "

Message 8 of 220
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

Regarding fee changes, what about non-stores? Same 50 free? Any changes for non-store specifically? I did not see non-store mentioned but I have yet to read and understand the update and then reread and understand some more.

Hi Pocomo,

The only things that change for non store subscribers are the listing upgrade fees, like subtitles, bold titles, etc.

Fees For All Sellers

Message 9 of 220
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

What exactly do the following refer to:

the value of the benefits that you will receive, excluding the value of new, dedicated customer service, is worth up to $1,500 per quarter.

the value of the benefits that you receive will be worth up to $165 per quarter.

the value of the benefits that you receive will be worth up to $350 per quarter.

Giving numbers with nothing to support them , how they are derived, and where they come from means very little without support for the numbers.

Please clarify.

Thanks

Hi dutchman,

The benefits values are based on the incremental amount of free listings per month and the coupon redeemable for eBay branded shipping supplies that come with the new Stores subscriptions.

Message 10 of 220
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Am I understand correctly that while American sellers will have access to this special pricing on quality shipping supplies this month, it will not be available to Canadians for some time?

"Later this month, sellers will be able to conveniently purchase affordable eBay-branded shipping supplies on eBay with quick handling time and free shipping. Premium-quality boxes, envelopes and tape are available at very competitive prices, providing you with one-stop shopping convenience for all your packaging needs. eBay-branded shipping supplies are eco-friendly, too."

"North American registered Store subscribers will also receive a coupon for eBay-branded shipping supplies "

Canadian sellers also get a coupon for eBay shipping supplies, but will have to obtain them from the same (US) place as US sellers until we are able to set up a similar program in Canada.

As I said earlier, this is a feature that was added quickly before the announcement and we preferred being able to offer something rather than nothing immediately.

Message 11 of 220
latest reply

"will have to obtain them from the same (US) place as US sellers"

I get that.  Will Canadians sellers have to pay import charges and brokerage fees in addition to the price paid by Americans?

Will eBay absorb the additional shipping costs to ship to Canadians?

Message 12 of 220
latest reply

xeposter
Community Member

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

Hello Canadian sellers,

This is the thread reserved for discussion around the 2016 Spring Seller Update announced today.

Hello, Raphael.

If I understand this page correctly, eBay is going to make it so sellers can only put 250 characters in their description? Does this mean I cannot place any images in my descriptions any more?

Thanks.

Alex

This is my POSTING id.
Message 13 of 220
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@pierrelebel wrote:

Canadian sellers also get a coupon for eBay shipping supplies, but will have to obtain them from the same (US) place as US sellers until we are able to set up a similar program in Canada.

As I said earlier, this is a feature that was added quickly before the announcement and we preferred being able to offer something rather than nothing immediately.

So ordering from the US and having them shipped to Canada ia a benefit How?

Message 14 of 220
latest reply

i guess this really doesn't apply to me anymore. i stopped buying on Ebay as there is very little of the stuff i buy on the canadian site, and the usa site started using their global shipping, which is a royal pain so stopped buying from them totally.  hopefully thought these improvements make it easier to actually talk to a "live person" vs a database. nothing worse than databases.

good luck

Will

Message 15 of 220
latest reply

@x..e wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

Hello Canadian sellers,

Hello, Raphael.

If I understand this page correctly, eBay is going to make it so sellers can only put 250 characters in their description? Does this mean I cannot place any images in my descriptions any more?

Thanks.

Alex

Off the US boards

You will still be able to include pictures in the item description box, however some descriptions use active content to include a picture gallery with interactions like mouse-over zoom or auto-scroll.  It's only those cases that use active content to display images that would have to be changed to remove active content.

Thanks for selling on eBay!

Justin

Message 16 of 220
latest reply

Looks like ebay is jumping the shark.

Message 17 of 220
latest reply

First you force us to either list in Canadian currency on eBay.ca or move everything over to eBay.com. That was irritating enough but I said to myself "it's ok, I'll make it work". But now you want to increase the store subscription fees on my stores by an additional $12 per bill per store????I didn't need an extra 50 fixed price listings & 150 extra auction listings for $12. If you had given me an extra 200 fixed price listings, maybe I could have handled that. This is not a good deal for the extra $ you want to suck out of me. And your coupon is nonsense; it doesn't make up for the fee increase. Coupon for "shipping supplies"? Who cares, I don't even get my shipping supplies on eBay. Do you want to give me $350 coupons every quarter for Staples instead? I didn't think so.

So, this is what I'm going to do: I am closing my stores (and THIS is why you should never sign up for a yearly contract) and going back to selling without a store. And I'm doing that TODAY. On my multiple accounts, I will be fine with my free listings & monthly promotions. So, you just lost 2 store subscriptions with your spring update. I didn't even get close to this angry about the last announcement. This one is really making me fume right now. Enough is enough, you lose my store subscriptions and that's final.
Message 18 of 220
latest reply

I think that my favorite part about this is that sellers can once again leave negative feedback for bad buyers.

That is a great move by ebay and I'm glad to see it return

Message 19 of 220
latest reply

@recyclemikey wrote:

I think that my favorite part about this is that sellers can once again leave negative feedback for bad buyers.

That is a great move by ebay and I'm glad to see it return

I did not see that. Could you give a link to where it is please?

Alex

This is my POSTING id.
Message 20 of 220
latest reply