2016 Spring Seller Update

Hello Canadian sellers,

This is the thread reserved for discussion around the 2016 Spring Seller Update announced today.

Read about the Update here:

http://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/news/sprupd16/index.html

Message 1 of 220
latest reply
219 REPLIES 219

E bay is like the Canadian government.Their sole purpose is to extract more money from its citizens.When they came up with their Global Shipping scam,it obliterated Canadians from buying from US sellers.Now I can't sell in US dollars.I haven't quite figured out what your angle is here,but I'm sure it's going to line your pockets once again.Sugar coat it all you want,but your greed is getting old with me.

Message 41 of 220
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@x..e wrote:

@pocomocomputing wrote:

@x..e wrote:

You probably are right...it will never come back. There is always a possibility that is 50 years it will though... Smiley LOL

Alex

That will only happen when ebay stops having Amazon envy and starts a parallel eBay site called eBay Classic.

It would be nice to see the Canada Moose and Canada Beaver again on an eBay.ca Canada Classic site. They were corny to see but so Canadian which made the site special.

bookMoose_65x68.gif

LittleBeaver.gif

What are the beaver and moose?

Alex

The moose's name was Baywinkle and was the eBay Canada mascot. He had a few different versions, or outfits, such as Hockey Baywinkle, Ski Baywinkle, Girl Baywinkle and sunbathing Baywinkle as seen above. We even had a Baywinkle mascot suit which I got to wear once. Lots of fun but it was really hot to wear! The beaver (not sure if he had a name) was also an eBay Canada character that was seen around the site. There were others, like Puckman and a few others.

All those went away when eBay rebranded and changed logos a few years ago.

Thanks for telling me, Raphael. I should have noticed the "old" eBay logo on the beaver's hat! 😉

Alex

This is my POSTING id.
Message 42 of 220
latest reply

What will happen with free promo listings? This may sound mean spirited, but if I'm going to shell out that much more money for my anchor store I'm going to be a little ticked to see thousands of free listings handed out every month. If that's going to be the case I may as well down grade to a premier store. I ship almost everything letter mail, so I can't see the shipping supplies being of any help, although I hope it will benefit some sellers. "Dedicated customer service" What does that mean? At the moment I'm biting my tongue.  I have 5000 listings. Neither the premier or anchor store are a very good fit for me as they stand. I'm sure lots of buyers would love to see something in between. Al 

Message 43 of 220
latest reply

Quick question to clarify;

" eBay-branded shipping supplies are eco-friendly,"

Will all the packaging supplies purchased by Canadians from eBay be "eBay" branded or "eBay.com" branded?

Message 44 of 220
latest reply

photosalp

Have you considered changing your User ID to something more "philatelic"?  or just your name?  or store's name?

Message 45 of 220
latest reply

Hi Pierre. When I first started using eBay it was to buy and sell photographic equipment and prints. Hence the ID. On bidStart I'm photofellow for the same reason. I've considered changing many times. Do you think there would be a set back in sales as a result, at least for the short term?
Message 46 of 220
latest reply

setback?  Not really.  Changing your user ID keeps all your feedback and history.  Nothing changes but your User ID and you get a small icon next to your new User ID to denote the change of ID. It goes away after 30 days.

From the beginning I have used my name. It is easy for satisfied repeat buyers to identify 

It also allows me to sell something other than stamps if Mary ever lets me do it! Smiley Happy

Message 47 of 220
latest reply

lol
Message 48 of 220
latest reply

xeposter
Community Member

Hello again, Raphael.

I have another question...for people that do not have stores...will they be able to list more items like the people with stores?

Also, will I have to resubscribe again to a store, or will it start charging me $20 instead of $16 automatically when the change takes place?

Thanks,

Alex

This is my POSTING id.
Message 49 of 220
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

setback?  Not really.  Changing your user ID keeps all your feedback and history.  Nothing changes but your User ID and you get a small icon next to your new User ID to denote the change of ID. It goes away after 30 days.

From the beginning I have used my name. It is easy for satisfied repeat buyers to identify 

It also allows me to sell something other than stamps if Mary ever lets me do it! Smiley Happy

It looks like you changed your name once...

http://contact.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ReturnUserIdHistory&requested=pierrelebel.

Alex

This is my POSTING id.
Message 50 of 220
latest reply

I have zero interested in including other peoples' Product Reviews on my listings. (I do my own Product Reviews and they are part of my listing.) I understand the reason that Product Reviews are being brought to ebay but, regardless, why can I not opt out of a product review that I don't agree to have on my item?

How can ebay expect sellers to take seriously a promise to remove inappropriate content from Product Reviews now automatically set to mess up a carefully-created listings when ebay has such a dismal record of adjusting inappropriate feedback? 

Message 51 of 220
latest reply

To elaborate, if anyone on ebay can write a product review at any time, what is to stop a mean-spirited competitor or otherwise-angry person from coming along and writing something nasty on one of my products simply because they don't like the price of it, or simply dislike the look of my face? How long is it forecasted that it will take ebay to take to 'review' and 'make a decision on something like that'? And to whom would a seller be able to appeal? 

Message 52 of 220
latest reply

"It looks like you changed your name once..."

That was forced upon us by eBay.  They would not allow email addresses anymore

Message 53 of 220
latest reply

"From the beginning I have used my name."

The original User ID was pierrelebel @ internetprovider

A one time eBay forced sellers to remove email addresses as User ID

Later it also forced sellers who were using their website URL as user ID to change it to prevent fee avoidance.

Message 54 of 220
latest reply

is there any chance ebay would consider a redemption type program, where i could trade 2 auction style listings for 1 fixed price listing..  for all of us with a store, the 250 auction style listings are a waste for most of us.. and i for one would be happy to trade my free auction listings for fixed price listings, is that something ebay would consider.. it would sure help a lot of us out..

p.s. i realize you are throwing a lot of free fixed priced auctions at us at the moment, but i would be correct in assuming once we have all switched over to all canada $ listings, the bonus monthly free listings will dry up as well..

Message 55 of 220
latest reply

"Again this will be this way only until we can set up a Canadian program."

Then you should exempt us from the extra fees until you set up a Canadian program!

Message 56 of 220
latest reply

" eBay derives a brief, 250-character, text-only description summary from your full item description. This provides relevant listing information that allows shoppers to make fast, informed buying decisions."

I've been selling on ebay for over a decade and the suggestion/advice by ebay given to sellers was to ALWAYS include as much pertinent info as possible in order for buyers to make an informed decision to purchase or not to purchase. So now, ebay will be editing our listings picking out certain words they feel will describe our item(s). Am I understanding this correctly?

If this is the case, how will ebay respond to buyer's complaints stating 'seller didn't state 'this or that' in their listing', when in fact "this or that" was included in the non-edited ebay version?

Lorraine

Message 57 of 220
latest reply

So you say that the increase of $12 quarterly has a value of $165. There is an increase of fixed price listings of only 50 and the auction listings by 150. How does that add up to $165 in value? I would also like to know why, since we will be forced to list in Canadian dollars, the final value fees are still in US dollars? Another thing is that the 'free' auction allotment is not free. I've tried on several occasions to list a free auction but there is a 5 cent fee being charged. How is that free?

Message 58 of 220
latest reply

@itsmythingdesigns wrote:

So you say that the increase of $12 quarterly has a value of $165. There is an increase of fixed price listings of only 50 and the auction listings by 150. How does that add up to $165 in value? I would also like to know why, since we will be forced to list in Canadian dollars, the final value fees are still in US dollars? Another thing is that the 'free' auction allotment is not free. I've tried on several occasions to list a free auction but there is a 5 cent fee being charged. How is that free?

The "free listings" are for select categories only.

Alex

This is my POSTING id.
Message 59 of 220
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

To elaborate, if anyone on ebay can write a product review at any time, what is to stop a mean-spirited competitor or otherwise-angry person from coming along and writing something nasty on one of my products simply because they don't like the price of it, or simply dislike the look of my face? How long is it forecasted that it will take ebay to take to 'review' and 'make a decision on something like that'? And to whom would a seller be able to appeal? 

I remember when I first began selling on eBay we could have a blog on our About Me page.  Another seller who posted on the discussion boards at the time left some negative remarks in mine and it was pointed out to me by a customer who didn't like his post.  At least I was able to remove it myself.

Message 60 of 220
latest reply