2016 Spring Seller Update

Hello Canadian sellers,

This is the thread reserved for discussion around the 2016 Spring Seller Update announced today.

Read about the Update here:

http://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/news/sprupd16/index.html

Message 1 of 220
latest reply
219 REPLIES 219

FIRST THE CURRENCY DECISION.

NOW A RATE INCREASE.

ETSY IS LOOKING BETTER EVERY DAY..

Message 61 of 220
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

Again this will be this way only until we can set up a Canadian program.

Then it would be better to just delay the new fee structure until said program is introduced. At least it would be beneficial.

A thing I don't understand... why are Fixed Prices listings increased by only 50 and the auction format by 150? I NEVER use the auction format, or very rarely, because it doesn't work for me. This is not beneficial for me at all. It should be at least 100/100. *That* would be useful...

First the C$ requirement and now this... I am really debating wether or not it is beneficial for me to keep my store...

Message 62 of 220
latest reply

All I can say is who cares.. .. Fees are high.. Theres really no one shopping..  and shipping is expensive..  so it really doesn't matter how Ebay impliments to guide lines or programs..  selling from canada is a expensive deal..  buying from most U.S sellers is a rip off with the GSP programs..   eBay has changed so many rules over the years..  people are just not interested anymore in being a part of EBAY..    Ive lost interest in more ways than one.... I am finding it just to much work to make Ebay money and me nothing and Im doing the work,... 

Message 63 of 220
latest reply

@itsmythingdesigns wrote:

So you say that the increase of $12 quarterly has a value of $165. There is an increase of fixed price listings of only 50 and the auction listings by 150. How does that add up to $165 in value? I would also like to know why, since we will be forced to list in Canadian dollars, the final value fees are still in US dollars? Another thing is that the 'free' auction allotment is not free. I've tried on several occasions to list a free auction but there is a 5 cent fee being charged. How is that free?

I would guess that the 5 cent fee on a free auction listing is for using the Auction Buy-It-Now option. It is 5 cents for a start price $9.99 and under. The BIN option was free until last years 2015 Spring Seller Update. It is free for non-stores today.

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/storefees.html#optional

Buy It Now price (in C$ or US$) Fee (in C$ or US$)

Buy It Now

Give a buyer the option to purchase your item immediately.

The Buy It Now price must be at least 30% higher than the starting price.

$0.99–$9.99

$0.05

$10–$24.99

$0.10

$25–$49.99

$0.20

$50 or more

$0.25

Message 64 of 220
latest reply

So you say that the increase of $12 quarterly has a value of $165. There is an increase of fixed price listings of only 50 and the auction listings by 150. How does that add up to $165 in value? I would also like to know why, since we will be forced to list in Canadian dollars, the final value fees are still in US dollars? Another thing is that the 'free' auction allotment is not free. I've tried on several occasions to list a free auction but there is a 5 cent fee being charged. How is that free?

For a basic store, you get 50 more fixed price listings which currently would cost you $0.20 each, so $10 a month, $30 for the 3 months in a quarter. You also get 150 more auction listings which would cost you $0.25 each, so $37.50 a month, $112.50 for 3 months in a quarter. That adds up to $142.50, add in the $25 free supplies which adds up to more than $167.50 more than the $165. It does not add up exactly so maybe my calculation is off.

On paper it sounds good but the only real benefit is the extra 50 Fixed Price listings to many sellers for a $10 saving but the seller has to pay an extra $4 a month for the 50 listings if on an annual subscription or $5 a month for the monthly. The extra 150 auctions with restricted categories and the $25 store supplies are not significant to many sellers in Canada.

As for the supplies, if it going to cost money to get them, I am not interested. I have plenty of used boxes which are free (time not counted). As for them being ebay branded, I don't care. This is just advertising for ebay on my sales. If I wanted to advertise for ebay, I could print an eBay logo to add to my packages.. Not!.

Message 65 of 220
latest reply

For Final Value Fees, you need to change your eBay billing currency to Can $. You can do this once a year.

Pierre knows more about this, perhaps he will give more details.

Message 66 of 220
latest reply

@x..e wrote:

The "free listings" are for select categories only.

Alex

Alex, I think it is the Auction Buy It now option which costs $0.05 for a start price under $9.99. My best guess. I replied to the OP with a link to eBay store fees.

Message 67 of 220
latest reply

Whats the minimum listing price for stores with GTC listings.. is it still $1? Not much of a chance for me to get to 10,000 listings.  Being an Anchor store the benefit for me would be to have the minimum listing price reduced... with the current price increase i think i'm going to 100% TCGPlayer... no monthly fee, and the same sales fee's as eBay. The perks mentioned aren't perks to me...i buy my Canadian shipping at 60% of face value... the listing 'upgrades' are not going to make me any more money ... 15 yrs is a good run... eBay is not what it used to be.

Message 68 of 220
latest reply

I'm satisfied with the new store listing levels. The new fee structure and listing allotment work for me but, like pocomo, I cannot get exciting about eBay-branded shipping supplies until I see what we have to work with. I have my own satisfactory supplier for shipping material, and I'm very particular about what I use. I'm a picky packer. Plus, I don't think it's wise to advertise Item of Value on untraced lettermail, and sometimes customers have an expectation of discreetness that they expect from online purchases. Nothing says Fight With Spouse Later like a pile of branded boxes at the door. A customer who's used to getting their stuff in plain, brown boxes may not appreciate neon eBay lights on their future orders. But whatever. That's merely my opinion. My beef is with Product Reviews. I want nothing to do with those. One needs only to read a few more than twice to see the reason for that. Feedback is enough of a loaded gun, never mind confusing the two. Make it optional, please.

Message 69 of 220
latest reply

then  it is better to stay as a non store

Message 70 of 220
latest reply

will be leaving ebay due to the forced ebay listing format of canadian dollars

Message 71 of 220
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

Hello Canadian sellers,

This is the thread reserved for discussion around the 2016 Spring Seller Update announced today.

In the spring seller update it gives details for the future  limited characters in the description. I don't understand the difference in the 250 character and 800 character options, and I don't know what "active content" is. 

I have "boxes" in my descriptions, will these count in the characters?

Does eBay expect us to count the characters in each description?

I think it is a good idea for eBay to do a store option at $59.95 for 1,000 listings. I think there are a lot of sellers who would like that amount, but don't want the high cost of an anchor store, but for those sellers like me who just need the 500 listings, and that is what we signed up for, why should we be asked to pay double the fees for an amount we never wanted.

Message 72 of 220
latest reply

@triber wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

Hello Canadian sellers,

In the spring seller update it gives details for the future  limited characters in the description. I don't understand the difference in the 250 character and 800 character options, and I don't know what "active content" is. 

I have "boxes" in my descriptions, will these count in the characters?

Does eBay expect us to count the characters in each description?

I think it is a good idea for eBay to do a store option at $59.95 for 1,000 listings. I think there are a lot of sellers who would like that amount, but don't want the high cost of an anchor store, but for those sellers like me who just need the 500 listings, and that is what we signed up for, why should we be asked to pay double the fees for an amount we never wanted.

I found this about active content:

"The use of active content in listings, including JavaScript, Flash, plug-ins and form actions, inhibits purchases on mobile devices and can lead to abuse in the marketplace."

Alex

This is my POSTING id.
Message 73 of 220
latest reply

@photosalp wrote:

What will happen with free promo listings? This may sound mean spirited, but if I'm going to shell out that much more money for my anchor store I'm going to be a little ticked to see thousands of free listings handed out every month. If that's going to be the case I may as well down grade to a premier store. I ship almost everything letter mail, so I can't see the shipping supplies being of any help, although I hope it will benefit some sellers. "Dedicated customer service" What does that mean? At the moment I'm biting my tongue.  I have 5000 listings. Neither the premier or anchor store are a very good fit for me as they stand. I'm sure lots of buyers would love to see something in between. Al 

Hi Al,

It's impossible to know in advance what the promo team will plan in the coming weeks/months/years. Usually, promos are planned to stimulate specific areas of the business, as required. The promo team needs to be agile in order to respond to market movements and steer trading activity where it is most needed. I do understand what you are saying though, and encourage you to make decisions that make the most sense for you.

The dedicated customer service is a new CS department that will be reserved for Anchor store subscribers. See it as a one-stop shop for any of your CS needs: these agents will be trained to help you resolve any problems or issues without having to send you to another department. This is something that our top tier store subscribers have been asking for.

Message 74 of 220
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Quick question to clarify;

" eBay-branded shipping supplies are eco-friendly,"

Will all the packaging supplies purchased by Canadians from eBay be "eBay" branded or "eBay.com" branded?

Hi Pierre,

When we rebranded and launched the new logo, we stopped distinguishing between sites in the branding. So it's eBay branded, not .ca, not .com or specific to any other site. See at what the tape looks like:

IMG_0015.JPG

Message 75 of 220
latest reply

Hi again Alex,

@x..e wrote:

Hello again, Raphael.

I have another question...for people that do not have stores...will they be able to list more items like the people with stores?

The monthly allotment of free listings isn't changing for non store subscribers, at least, not with this change.

@x..e wrote:

Also, will I have to resubscribe again to a store, or will it start charging me $20 instead of $16 automatically when the change takes place?

Thanks,

Alex

The rates will adjust on May 6th without you needing to do anything. On your following invoice, you'll see your store subscription fee prorated accordingly.

Message 76 of 220
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

I have zero interested in including other peoples' Product Reviews on my listings. (I do my own Product Reviews and they are part of my listing.) I understand the reason that Product Reviews are being brought to ebay but, regardless, why can I not opt out of a product review that I don't agree to have on my item?

How can ebay expect sellers to take seriously a promise to remove inappropriate content from Product Reviews now automatically set to mess up a carefully-created listings when ebay has such a dismal record of adjusting inappropriate feedback? 

Hi mjwl2006,

Product reviews help buyers make a decision on whether to buy a product based on previous buyers' reviews. They aren't a reflection on the seller offering that product. Showing reviews for productized items will, in the long run, help the marketplace raise the bar in terms of quality. I see no legitimate reason why a seller would need to opt out of that. If the product offered is a good product, even if it has a few bad reviews (almost all products have some bad reviews), buyers will review accordingly. AT the end of the day, product reviews are a standard in pretty much all other marketplaces and are something that is lacking on eBay.

About our promise to remove inappropriate reviews, keep in mind that this doesn't mean removing negative reviews, not anymore than our inappropriate feedback policy means we will remove negative feedback. I haven't seen the inappropriate product reviews policy yet but it's likely going to make sure we don't allow reviews with profanity, reviews that don't talk about the product or reviews that target a specific seller, for example.

Message 77 of 220
latest reply

Hi esclyons,

@esclyons wrote:

is there any chance ebay would consider a redemption type program, where i could trade 2 auction style listings for 1 fixed price listing..  for all of us with a store, the 250 auction style listings are a waste for most of us.. and i for one would be happy to trade my free auction listings for fixed price listings, is that something ebay would consider.. it would sure help a lot of us out..

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll pass it along.

@esclyons wrote:

p.s. i realize you are throwing a lot of free fixed priced auctions at us at the moment, but i would be correct in assuming once we have all switched over to all canada $ listings, the bonus monthly free listings will dry up as well..

Are you referring to the monthly free listings allotment or to the promos?

Message 78 of 220
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

Hi again Alex,

@x..e wrote:

Hello again, Raphael.

I have another question...for people that do not have stores...will they be able to list more items like the people with stores?

The monthly allotment of free listings isn't changing for non store subscribers, at least, not with this change.

@x..e wrote:

Also, will I have to resubscribe again to a store, or will it start charging me $20 instead of $16 automatically when the change takes place?

Thanks,

Alex

The rates will adjust on May 6th without you needing to do anything. On your following invoice, you'll see your store subscription fee prorated accordingly.

Thanks, Raphael.

Alex

This is my POSTING id.
Message 79 of 220
latest reply

@lorraine_carol wrote:

" eBay derives a brief, 250-character, text-only description summary from your full item description. This provides relevant listing information that allows shoppers to make fast, informed buying decisions."

I've been selling on ebay for over a decade and the suggestion/advice by ebay given to sellers was to ALWAYS include as much pertinent info as possible in order for buyers to make an informed decision to purchase or not to purchase. So now, ebay will be editing our listings picking out certain words they feel will describe our item(s). Am I understanding this correctly?

If this is the case, how will ebay respond to buyer's complaints stating 'seller didn't state 'this or that' in their listing', when in fact "this or that" was included in the non-edited ebay version?

Lorraine

Hi lorraine_carol,

Your own description isn't going away. eBay will pull a summary from your description and use that mainly on mobile buying channels, where buyers know they have to click a link to see the full description.

With this change, we aren't taking anything away. In fact we are adding a longer, better description summary and putting it where buyers will see it.

Message 80 of 220
latest reply