2016 Spring Seller Update

Hello Canadian sellers,

This is the thread reserved for discussion around the 2016 Spring Seller Update announced today.

Read about the Update here:

http://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/news/sprupd16/index.html

Message 1 of 220
latest reply
219 REPLIES 219

@pocomocomputing wrote:

One of the biggest ironies I find with the eBay move to limit active HTML from listings is that those listings take longer to load and run reducing buyer expectations. Yet eBay has ads on their pages that are active and slow down loading the search pages. I guess ebay wants to save all the bandwidth for their ads and not sellers listings.

When eBay started cross promoting listings with ads from other competing sellers in a sellers listings, eBay thought this was fair since they owned the site. Anything to get a sale for eBay and a FVF. But when sellers have cross promotion galleries in their listings, eBay wants to eliminate them.

One of the "fun" things I actually like about the twice yearly seller updates and the CAD USD change is how ebay members post their little gripes and issues like I did above with a little shot to ebay.

I know, I have a wired perspective on this with the comment I just made.

Message 121 of 220
latest reply

I am looking for the ABSOLUTELY CRUCIAL information, what will be the insertion fee for the store owners?

The information was not yet published. The Ebay fee illustrator has been also not yet updated.

Why this delay?

Message 122 of 220
latest reply

@38e_avenue wrote:

I am looking for the ABSOLUTELY CRUCIAL information, what will be the insertion fee for the store owners?

The information was not yet published. The eBay fee illustrator has been also not yet updated.

Why this delay?

The insertion fee for a listing stays the same as current rates when you go over the free listing allocated to the store level you choose.

Message 123 of 220
latest reply

@38e_avenue wrote:

The information was not yet published. The Ebay fee illustrator has been also not yet updated.

Why this delay?

The only thing that is changing is the store prices and how much you can list. The insertion fees to not change at all.

Alex

This is my POSTING id.
Message 124 of 220
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@pierrelebel wrote:

"will have to obtain them from the same (US) place as US sellers"

I get that.  Will Canadians sellers have to pay import charges and brokerage fees in addition to the price paid by Americans?

Will eBay absorb the additional shipping costs to ship to Canadians?

Unfortunately for now import costs and shipping will be the burden of the Canadian seller.

EDIT: Just to clarify: part of teh deal on eBay.com is that US sellers get free shipping on those supplies. Canadians get the same value paid for by eBay for shipping but have to pay for the extra cost for shipping to Canada.

Again this will be this way only until we can set up a Canadian program.

What if the shipping supplies seller shipped to Canadians via the GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAM? GSP would be ideal for this.

That would mean shipping and import duty/taxes would be included in the total price so all charges could be paid for upfront with the coupon!

This would make sense (if the goal is to get ebay branded shipping supplies in the hands of Canadians). Is that the goal???

However, I don't think high-priced supplies, high shipping costs to Canada PLUS all the fees/duty/sales taxes upon import of goods to Canada is how to get ebay branded shipping supplies out to Canadians.

Like a lot of things here it just doesn't make a lot of sense. A Canadian solution sounds good but seems like a far off pipe dream.

Message 125 of 220
latest reply

GSP is a cash grab con job. What so called we're not a shipping company but they're repack goods sent to there hub repack and try to make it cheaper and then ship out..

You can live literally 50km from a American seller but ships it back to the middle of the US to the dist centre then about a week later starts moving back again.

It's a got show program especially when you try to by multiple items from the same seller shipping isn't combined and get totally ripped off on charges.

eBay has been a gong show the last 4 years and is taking another turn of being totally money driven and don't care about the end users.

I'm dumping them for good, and going elsewhere.
Message 126 of 220
latest reply

Two things ...

First, an opinion - product reviews that aren't for verified purchases are worthless on any site. Just way to open to abuse from all sides.

And second - a question for Matthew.  I've seen the suggested html tags to be used around an 800 word listing

<div vocab="http://schema.org/" typeof="Product"><span property="description"> listing </span></div>

If we use more tags inside those, perhaps for paragraph breaks or a heading, will the tags themselves NOT count towards the 800 character limit?

Message 127 of 220
latest reply

The cost for an Anchor store will be  $300 a month  with zero insertion fees for 10,000 listings

Then.....

For a premium store  it is  $60 per month  with 1000 listings with a zero insertion fee

Th listing fee in a Premium store is 10 cents per 30 days, while  for an Anchor store it is 5 cents per 30 days.

When does the cost for a Premium store equal an Anchor store at $300 per month.

Subtract the monthly cost of $60  .... $300 - $60 = $240 

at 10 cents a listing,   that $240 equals 2400 listings in a Premium store.

Add in the no insertion fee listings... 2400 + 1000  and the total is 3400 listings.

A Premium store with 3400 listings is equal in monthly  cost  to an Anchor store  with the same number of listings.

Add a listing to a Premium store  and it will cost 10 cents per 30 days......  while with an Anchor store, adding a listing on top of 3400 listings is no extra cost up to 10,000 listings.

The break point for migrating to an Anchor store is 3400 listings...

and beyond 3400 listings  one can add a massive amount of listings  to an Anchor store... without any extra "listing"
 cost...

Message 128 of 220
latest reply

A Basic Store with 200 listings costs $60  per month

That is a $20 subscription fee, plus 200 listings at 20 cents per 30 days = $60

Then with a Premium store one get 1000 listings with a monthly subscription cost of $60  and  no extra  insertion fees each month...plus the listing fee is 10 cents per 30 days for all listings over that 1000 no insertion fee  number.

A basic store with 200 listings will cost the same as a Premium store with 1000 listings... Both stores cost $60 each month.

Message 129 of 220
latest reply

Additional considerations....

(1) The number of auctions with zero insertion fees.

(2) The value of the shipping supply coupon

(3)  Dedicated customer service    with the Anchor store 

Message 130 of 220
latest reply

A thought about the shipping supply coupon.

Let us make it equal in value for a US  Seller and a Canadian seller..

It is my understanding that for a US seller with an Anchor store.....  the coupon has a value of $75  US with free shipping.

-------------------------------------

A US seller has a value of $75 US each month for an Anchor store .

Make the value for a Canadian seller  with an Anchor store  the same as a US seller with same Anchor store

A Canadian sellers buys as units......  Remember the coupon has a unit value....  75 units .

A Canadian seller buy up to 75 units  at a total value of $75 US.

The first 75 units of purchase by a Canadian seller is the same value as the first 75 units bought by a US seller.

And like the US seller.... shipping is free.....  whether the provider or source  of the purchased items is in the US or Canada...

If a US seller buys more than 75 units of shipping supplies  they pay in US dollars.

If a Canadian seller buys more than 75 units of shipping supplies  they pay in Canadian dollars.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

In this manner there is NO conflict between a Canadian and a US seller  up to the value of the coupon... and both get free shipping up to the value of the coupon.

The coupon is valued in units... with each unit expressed in a true monetary value of US dollars..

Should a Canadian seller choose to buy more that the 75 units  (or other values  as per the store subscription)   they will pay in Canadian dollars, based on the current exchange rate, and they will pay the true cost of shipping...

and... when the Canadian pays in Canadian dollars there will be no cost due to the exchange of Canadian dollars for US dollars.

-------------------------------------------

This makes Canadian sellers equal to US sellers... up to the value of the shipping supply coupon....

Over the past 10 years  the Canadian dollar has been worth both more and less than the US dollar

Message 131 of 220
latest reply

Correction.... Correction... Correction.

A Basic store with 450 listings is the same monthly  cost as  a Premium store with 1000 listings

Forgot the 250 no insertion fee listings that come with a Basic store....

Message 132 of 220
latest reply

I was perplexed by your earlier mathematical analysis but I didn't know the reason I was confused other than it (the 250) sounded strange. The feasibility breakdown is a nice thing to have. Thanks for taking the time to do this for us. 

Message 133 of 220
latest reply

My store on eBay is an Anchor Store...

and I had to understand why it would work for me....

and the end result is for me to add lots of listings..... lots of listings.

Books,  and other items from the good old days of selling glassware, pottery, artwork, and toys.

Message 134 of 220
latest reply

You'll have to let us know how the upper tier Customer Service works. Either you Anchor Store owners will be getting ripped off, or the rest of us will be left with the dregs. I'm worried!
Message 135 of 220
latest reply

A Basic Store with 450 listings costs `the same as a Premium store with a monthly cost of $60, and 1000 listing with zero insertion fees. 

A Premium store with 3400 listings costs the same as an Anchor store....with a monthly fee of $300 and 10,000 listing with zero insertion fees.

Message 136 of 220
latest reply

I rarely needed eBay customer service....

The end result is that sellers  with an Anchor Store  might need less Customer service... 

and

if customer service is needed...  the seller would most likely be equal in knowledge  `to the customer service person....and require a different level of service....

Message 137 of 220
latest reply

True enough. An anchor Store seller has probably been on eBay both as a buyer and seller for more than a few years, and is one with a vested interest in how things work. They wouldn't be asking the same questions as a rookie.
Message 138 of 220
latest reply

"if customer service is needed...  the seller would most likely be equal in knowledge  `to the customer service person.."

I still remember the "good old days"  when "GOLD" PowerSellers had dedicated Customer Service at eBay.  Only called once or twice.  Waste of my time.  They were strictly American focussed, 

Message 139 of 220
latest reply

That idea, I like. Make it (dedicated Customer Service) a performance-based reward. Not an elitist one for people only who can afford it.
Message 140 of 220
latest reply