2016 Spring Seller Update

Hello Canadian sellers,

This is the thread reserved for discussion around the 2016 Spring Seller Update announced today.

Read about the Update here:

http://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/news/sprupd16/index.html

Message 1 of 220
latest reply
219 REPLIES 219

eBay is taking away everything that made eBay different.

This is my concern as well. The company is attempting to homogenize itself, removing what makes it stand out from the myriad of other places to shop and sell. The other side of that coin is that it is slowly but surely eliminating many of the reasons people come here to shop and sell. 

Message 161 of 220
latest reply

ebay wants the description to describe the item. Period. No terms, no links, no promoting other items.

So links in the description that lead to my other listings won't be allowed?

Message 162 of 220
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

ebay wants the description to describe the item. Period. No terms, no links, no promoting other items.

I thought ebay facilitated this? Isn't there an option in one of the tabs on the Sell Your Item form right by Item Description that facilitates adding hyperlinks? I looked at it a few times but since I am html-illiterate, did not use that feature.

Message 163 of 220
latest reply

This is what I'm talking about.

Screen Shot 2016-04-08 at 1.32.41 PM.jpg

Message 164 of 220
latest reply

Using these things (whatever they are) will still be allowed, I am assuming. Am I wrong? What do they do, anyway?

Message 165 of 220
latest reply

Those options don't add links for the user to click on. But you're right, there was an area which allowed you to set up links to other items but I don't see it now. It's either gone or else I just forgot where I saw it. lol

There is still a place on Auctiva to set up a link like that.

Message 166 of 220
latest reply

Interesting. I'm going to create a fake listing with those Options selected now to see what happens. 

Message 167 of 220
latest reply

I don't know what the first option is all about but I think the second one will give you access to different templates and the third one simply puts a counter on your listings so that others can see how many visitors to that listing.

Message 168 of 220
latest reply

Isn't this what you were talking about? It doesn't look like 'active' content, however, as I understand it. Just a lot of html link stuff. 

JPGScreen Shot 2016-04-08 at 2.43.18 PM.jpg

Message 169 of 220
latest reply

Very well said! Since the start, eBay always suggested listing in USD as it's universal. Now when the difference is 30%, they want to make this change that will only further impact all Canadian sellers.who already lose most sales due to Canada Post increasingly raising their rates in comparison to USPS.. eBay recently tends to make changes and move the goal posts for no reason.. It is making it very difficult to continue to buy or sell on it. Their changes come with tons of words but still no clear reason for doing these changes other than force everyone into getting a store subscription so they maintain their corporate bottom line on the backs of many longer time users. They will drive many members onto the other sites which are free rather than constantly going thru change after change while revenue plumets.
Message 170 of 220
latest reply

@cruisin39 wrote:
Very well said! Since the start, eBay always suggested listing in USD as it's universal. Now when the difference is 30%, they want to make this change that will only further impact all Canadian sellers.who already lose most sales due to Canada Post increasingly raising their rates in comparison to USPS.. eBay recently tends to make changes and move the goal posts for no reason.. It is making it very difficult to continue to buy or sell on it. Their changes come with tons of words but still no clear reason for doing these changes other than force everyone into getting a store subscription so they maintain their corporate bottom line on the backs of many longer time users. They will drive many members onto the other sites which are free rather than constantly going thru change after change while revenue plumets.

Its on the US site that USPS has increased their rates...but hey to make it up ebay is offering printed USPS Priority labels at a 25% discount...gee....why can't they give us a 25% discount for Canada Post Expedited/Expresss labels ?

Message 171 of 220
latest reply

The Paypal shipping discount for Expedited Parcel labels when I started selling was almost 25 per cent less than counter rates.

Message 172 of 220
latest reply

That's probably what I was thinking of....it's been a while.

Message 173 of 220
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Sorry, links are still allowed and even in the current update. I meant by that bold line above that is where is going and wants to be in 2-3 years. More control, more listing all looking the same.

Message 174 of 220
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

This is what I'm talking about.

Screen Shot 2016-04-08 at 1.32.41 PM.jpg

The first option adds text inserts option to the description editing toolbar. There are two eBay inserts called Seller other Items and Add to Favorites List. Clicking on those will add the HTML for the link to do this. If you have a store, there is a link to your store also. You can also have your own inserts, up to five, made from HTML.

In the new Seller Hub, the new Listing Tool does not have Inserts, it has Insert Custom Template to add HTML to a listings. There are none of the ebay inserts I mentioned above.

Message 175 of 220
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Sorry, links are still allowed and even in the current update. I meant by that bold line above that is where eBay is going and wants to be in 2-3 years. More control, more listing all looking the same.

Missed a word.

Message 176 of 220
latest reply

Thanks for the explanation pocomo.  That is a relief that our stores will still be searchable.

I too would like to see eBay stay unique.  If it becomes like Amazon I might as well visit a shopping centre for a "better buyer experience".  Store window displays entice me much more than browsing through pages of nothing but facts.

Message 177 of 220
latest reply

@westernstargifts wrote:

Thanks for the explanation pocomo.  That is a relief that our stores will still be searchable.

I too would like to see eBay stay unique.  If it becomes like Amazon I might as well visit a shopping centre for a "better buyer experience".  Store window displays entice me much more than browsing through pages of nothing but facts.

If everything is the "same" and not customizable, then all sellers would be the same. It is fun to be a little different with a cool custom description different from everyone else s.

Alex

This is my POSTING id.
Message 178 of 220
latest reply

Raphael, Rodney? Can you please advise how this particular situation will be handled. I feel it will be a concern for sellers under the Defect category of "item not as described" when in fact in many cases it has/will be.
Thanks.
Message 179 of 220
latest reply

@lorraine_carol wrote:
Raphael, Rodney? Can you please advise how this particular situation will be handled. I feel it will be a concern for sellers under the Defect category of "item not as described" when in fact in many cases it has/will be.
Thanks.

I doubt you are going to get a reply from Raphael here...why don't you ask Raphael your question during the weekly chat on Wednesday.

Alex

This is my POSTING id.
Message 180 of 220
latest reply