Can anyone explain the sales tax for canada starting july 1-- i'm really confused on this, thank you

Hi all-- Im really confused about the sales tax that ebay.ca  is going to be starting as of July 1-- How does this work? I called them today, but was left totally confused about there answers--if anyone has looked into this, can u please explain how this is going to work, I am in Canada--thank you

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Can anyone explain the sales tax for canada starting july 1-- i'm really confused on this, thank you

@steveyboy1969 wrote:

I called eBay and spoke to an agent who didn't sound too sure or informed on the matter, so I pressed him to let me speak to a manager. That manager specifically told me that eBay was submitting to the CRA, the eBay seller's info along with the tax collected on the sales fees. Yes, I understand it depends on who you speak to, and you can get wildly different answers to same question posed to them, and all with equal assurance that their answer is the correct one. The agent didn't sound like they were from overseas though, and hopefully you are correct and that agent was indeed trying to end the call.

I would still suggest the 'manager' with whom you spoke was only partially correct.

ebay will, of course, pass along the new GST/HST collected on monthly seller fees to CRA but I highly doubt the intricate details of that seller's personal data will accompany it. There was a hue and cry about this in 2008/2009 and ebay only did so for certain sales performance thresholds and only after it was ordered by the courts.

It is not impossible that I am incorrect, however, and if this is top of your mind as a concern, I would strongly suggest you ask ebay Canada staff at the Weekly Wednesday Chat.

And again I will reiterate any profits made by anyone selling on ebay as supposed to be declared as income anyway so, in theory, any reveal of sales data should pose no threat to anyone already doing as they are obligated to do so by law. 

Message 21 of 21
latest reply