Is the minimum item value changing?

Still at a $1 per item?
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

although nothing surprizes me,i havnt heard anything about that.but its not really worth the effort to list something that low,after ebay and paypal get done you wont see much of your dollar

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

@netmarkets wrote:
Still at a $1 per item?

Fixed Price listings have a minimum of $0.99.

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/fixed-price.html#requirements

Auctions can start at $0.01.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Most auctions end with one bid .... or none.

You are charged 10% on your shipping cost. In most cases this is a higher percentage than your selling fees.

The minimum wage in Ontario is 18 cents an hour. It takes about 10 minutes to picture, describe and list an item. This means it costs you $1.80 of your time+ the cost of the item to list+ 8-9% of the selling price + 10% of the shipping price+ a 30 cent Paypal fee to make a sale.

But yes, you can list for a penny if you like.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Most auctions end with one bid .... or none.

You are charged 10% on your shipping cost. In most cases this is a higher percentage than your selling fees.

The minimum wage in Ontario is 18 cents an hour. It takes about 10 minutes to picture, describe and list an item. This means it costs you $1.80 of your time+ the cost of the item to list+ 8-9% of the selling price + 10% of the shipping price+ a 30 cent PayPal fee to make a sale.

But yes, you can list for a penny if you like.

The shipping FVF rate is not a flat 10%. It is the same as the FVF rate used for selling the item.

If a non-store, then the FVF rate is a flat 10%. For stores, it is the same FVF rate as the eBay category listed in so it will be from 4 to 9%.

The actual shipping FVF charged is based on the lowest of the first domestic shipping cost or the actual shipping cost when selling internationally so the shipping FVF charged can be lower than 10% rate for non-stores and the 4 to 9% for stores.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

A lot of the confusion about fees seems to be from new and occasional sellers, most of whom do not have Stores. They would be paying the 10% flat shipping FVF.

In my opinion, it is better to present the worst case, and then find that things are better than you expect, than to present the best (or the more complicated) case and be shocked at the higher cost.

YMMV.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

I respectfully disagree. Misinformation should not ne posted and whenever possible, misinformation should be corrected.

While your generalized post may be for the OP, it is will be read by others and the misinformation may confuse members who read the forums to learn about eBay and how it works.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

I respectfully disagree. Misinformation should not be posted and whenever possible, misinformation should be corrected.

While your generalized post may be for the OP, it will be read by others and the misinformation may confuse members who read the forums to learn about eBay and how it works.

Corrected my typos. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

The minimum wage in Ontario is 18 cents an hour. 

Did I fall through a worm-hole and end up in 1885? Smiley Frustrated I need to find a Delorean so that I can get back to 2016 where it is $11.25!

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began I have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 10 of 10
latest reply