Retirement of USD from eBay.ca Selling Flows

Hello Canadian sellers,

This thread is open for discussion regarding the recent announcement about eBay Canada retiring USD support from its selling flows. Myself and other employees will come visit this thread and do our best to answer any questions on this topic.

Message 1 of 1,448
latest reply
1,447 REPLIES 1,447

It's impossible for me to sell to the US in $cad it's hard enough competing with our more expensive shipping costs.

95% of my customers are US based, Americans don't like converting currencies.

All this is going to do is force Canadians to sell on EBay.com and it will kill EBay.ca

Message 21 of 1,448
latest reply

@adam.519 wrote:
And how will it impact our views on the ebay.ca website? Do ebay.ca or cdn dollar listing get preference in Canada?
Most of my customers are in the USA so I'm trying to determine the best approach. I didn't find your tool that useful on the other page.

It won't impact your placement on either site, as long as you have specified shipping for both countries.

Thanks for the feedback on the decision tool. However, if I may make a recommendations, real life tests are usually much more accurate than any tool could be. Why not list a few items on both sites and see which fare better?

Message 22 of 1,448
latest reply

I think it's a good move and look forward to being part of an ecommerce site that shows Canadian buyers an equal playing field when they come here to shop. I started listing in CAD and CAD only early. It works for me. 

Message 23 of 1,448
latest reply

Why is this necessary? 

Message 24 of 1,448
latest reply

What a joke. Ebay rips us off again. I call BS on the focus group **bleep**. I bet 95% want to list in US dollars. Just look at how many canadians list in US right now.
Message 25 of 1,448
latest reply

for every 1000 items I sell on eBay 1 is sold in Canada how do you pan to address that?

I buy my stock in USD and Sell it in USD conveying $250,000.00 pre year is going to cost me at least $15,000.00 - $18,000.00 per year in foreign currency exchanges 

Message 26 of 1,448
latest reply

Thanks for the clarification, Rodney.

If a Canadian seller chooses to list on eBay.com, I suspect that we will no longer be able to use the Canada Post shipping calculator, correct? If that is indeed the case, then sellers will either have to come up with a generic shipping cost for a small parcel (for example) or ask prospective buyers to email a request for a shipping estimate.

Either way, it will only serve to make the selling process more cumbersome and our offerings less attractive to US buyers.

Message 27 of 1,448
latest reply

I predict this decision will be reversed in 6 months or less after they look at revenues in July.    Raphael should be looking for a new job around this time also.  

USA is Ebay,ca sellers marketplace 99.5%.      Americans will not shop in CAD currency to the same extent they will in USD,   It is a fact.

Message 28 of 1,448
latest reply

Ebay treats sellers like second class citizens to the delight of other classified website managers.. There was another announcement a while back about the higher percentage fees that Canadians will have to pay if selling internationally...If you add up the percentage that Ebay charges sellers (even on the shipping cost) and the way they entice buyers to file claims for no reason, it is apparent that they do not want Canadians to use their service to sell goods.. Thankfully they have competitors that are more reasonable

Message 29 of 1,448
latest reply

Sign up for Venture one with canada post and est online..you'll save money and time.. They will do bulk pickups too if necessary..
Message 30 of 1,448
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@prairiecamino wrote:
It's impossible for me to sell to the US in $cad it's hard enough competing with our more expensive shipping costs.

95% of my customers are US based, Americans don't like converting currencies.

All this is going to do is force Canadians to sell on EBay.com and it will kill EBay.ca

Hi prairiecamino

Most Canadian sellers rely heavily on sales to US buyers. Your situation is not unique.

We would not make this change or recommend listing in CAD if our marketplace data didn't show that it was better for our sellers. It would make little sense for us to do so.

We have all heard tales of US buyers who don't want to buy in foreign currencies. That may have been a big problem a few years ago, when paying international meant buying an international money order from the post office, but these days it is just as easy as buying domestic.

Canadian sellers who list in CAD have significantly higher sell-through rates than Canadian sellers who list in USD, including their sales to US buyers.

Message 31 of 1,448
latest reply

So when were these focus groups and discussions held? No email was sent to me to be part of this! I can't believe that any seller on here would have been ok with this change!

Message 32 of 1,448
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@eyeball123 wrote:

for every 1000 items I sell on eBay 1 is sold in Canada how do you pan to address that?

I buy my stock in USD and Sell it in USD conveying $250,000.00 pre year is going to cost me at least $15,000.00 - $18,000.00 per year in foreign currency exchanges 

Hi eyeball 123.

If you acquire your inventory and pay your bills in USD then USD is a probably better choice for you. I'd recommend that in your case you migrate your listings to eBay.com.

Message 33 of 1,448
latest reply

@respiraterry wrote:
What a joke. Ebay rips us off again. I call BS on the focus group **bleep**. I bet 95% want to list in US dollars. Just look at how many canadians list in US right now.

Actually, you'd be surprised at how few Canadian sellers still list in USD on eBay.ca. It's not even close to half and it's even less than that if you take out all non-Canadian sellers who list on the Canadian site.

Message 34 of 1,448
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ferret-mom wrote:

Thanks for the clarification, Rodney.

If a Canadian seller chooses to list on eBay.com, I suspect that we will no longer be able to use the Canada Post shipping calculator, correct? If that is indeed the case, then sellers will either have to come up with a generic shipping cost for a small parcel (for example) or ask prospective buyers to email a request for a shipping estimate.

Either way, it will only serve to make the selling process more cumbersome and our offerings less attractive to US buyers.

Hi Ferret-mom

If you want to list using the Canada Post shipping calculator then you'll need to stay on eBay.ca and list in CAD. Calculated shipping is supported on eBay.com as well, but only for USPS shipments originating in the United States.

Message 35 of 1,448
latest reply

@sirspinalot wrote:

Why is this necessary? 

In a nutshell, because it's no longer true that Canadian sellers get more sales just by listing in USD, and that the fact that we have to support two currencies on one site, something that isn't the case for any other eBay site in the world, has been detrimental to our ability to roll out new features and improvements.

Message 36 of 1,448
latest reply

@eyeball123 wrote:

Hi eyeball123,

You can still list in USD if that's better for your business model, you'll just have to do it on eBay.com.

Message 37 of 1,448
latest reply

This is the stupidest decision to list in Canadian dollars no one wants it!Look at the comments below!Canadians get shafted again thanks ebay Canada,it should be my choice to the dollar currency listed,it's my items I'm selling.WOW sad day fellow Canadian Ebayers.I wonder does anyone from Ebayer Canada look at the people selling here?Do they look at the comments here,It doesn't look like.

Message 38 of 1,448
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@bugsy12.2008 wrote:

So when were these focus groups and discussions held? No email was sent to me to be part of this! I can't believe that any seller on here would have been ok with this change!

Hi buysy12.2008.

We have millions of sellers. We spoke with a lot of them. I don't know how we missed you. 😉

Message 39 of 1,448
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@chillerchannel wrote:

This is the stupidest decision to list in Canadian dollars no one wants it!Look at the comments below!Canadians get shafted again thanks ebay Canada,it should be my choice to the dollar currency listed,it's my items I'm selling.WOW sad day fellow Canadian Ebayers.I wonder does anyone from Ebayer Canada look at the people selling here?Do they look at the comments here,It doesn't look like.

Hi chillerchannel

I am from eBay Canada and so is Raphael.

Message 40 of 1,448
latest reply