Retirement of USD from eBay.ca Selling Flows

Hello Canadian sellers,

This thread is open for discussion regarding the recent announcement about eBay Canada retiring USD support from its selling flows. Myself and other employees will come visit this thread and do our best to answer any questions on this topic.

Message 1 of 1,448
latest reply
1,447 REPLIES 1,447

I tried Venture One -- maybe it's just me, but I found it complicated to use. And I would still have to know the destination of the buyer before I could give an accurate shipping quote.

Message 41 of 1,448
latest reply

Did you answer this guys question?He wants his items sold on ebay.ca and use american dollars.He did not say ebay.com?Is Ebay listening here.Question not answered here?Why change the format if no one wants it that is the question isn't it?Whose items are we selling the ebay company or the sellers who list these?

Message 42 of 1,448
latest reply

eBay Canada's managing director Andrea Stairs has published a note to give additional background on the rationale behind this decision.

http://announcements.ebay.ca/2016/03/22/7752/

Message 43 of 1,448
latest reply

No disrespect intended Rodney but at 13 stars you do NOT know selling on ebay.. I have been on ebay since it started and USD is STILL the uni ersal way to go.. And I don't remember being "invited" to any focus group either..therefore I too call bullsh*t
Message 44 of 1,448
latest reply

@chillerchannel wrote:

Did you answer this guys question?He wants his items sold on ebay.ca and use american dollars.He did not say ebay.com?Is Ebay listening here.Question not answered here?Why change the format if no one wants it that is the question isn't it?Whose items are we selling the ebay company or the sellers who list these?

Hi chillerchannel,

I appreciate that you might be frustrated by the change we just announced. I invite you to read in more detail the reasons why we are doing this. For the record, only a tiny fraction of all Canadian sellers are impacted by this. We do, however, recognize that for those impacted, this will represent both an important paradigm shift and a substantial amount of work, which is why we have put several tool at their disposal to help with the transition.

Message 45 of 1,448
latest reply

@ferret-mom wrote:

I tried Venture One -- maybe it's just me, but I found it complicated to use. And I would still have to know the destination of the buyer before I could give an accurate shipping quote.

Use tracked packet..its pretty much same acoss the board to UDA or overseas...and est online is easier, they changed and streamlined it 🙂

Message 46 of 1,448
latest reply

Worst idea ever!  Most of our clients are in the US, and with the Canadian dollar going up and down everyday it look to the Americans

as if we keep changing our mind...

Message 47 of 1,448
latest reply

Ebay Canada needs a reality check,get smart and listen to the sellers,bad decision ebay very bad.

Message 48 of 1,448
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@themanorhousetreasures wrote:
No disrespect intended Rodney but at 13 stars you do NOT know selling on ebay.. I have been on ebay since it started and USD is STILL the uni ersal way to go.. And I don't remember being "invited" to any focus group either..therefore I too call bullsh*t

Hi themanorhoursertreasures.

None taken.

I have been leading product management for eBay Canada since 2002, and a member since 2001. This is a staff account that I use to post with, not to sell or buy with except in rare cases where we used this account as part of a test or something.

Here at eBay, we run focus groups with 5- 20 people at a time. We typically do not email every single seller. Maybe next time you'll be one of the folks we reach out to.

We used quant marketplace data to make our decision, then used focus groups to understand what kind of reactions we would receive and what sellers' chief concerns might be. We did several rounds, and the feedback helped us shape the communications we prepared on this topic for today.

Message 49 of 1,448
latest reply

You are making a big mistake with this. We will gain a few more Canadian customers but we will lose almost all our Americans ones (which is the majority of our sales). Americans don't like buying in currency other than US.
***Please give us clear instructions on how to transfer our stores / items to eBay.com and provide specific details on exactly how a transfer will impact us.
Message 50 of 1,448
latest reply

...and by new features and improvements you mean new gouges and profit improvements. Sellers pay the freight therefore they are victims. NO CUSTOMER SERVICE NO SELLER SUPPORT NO RECOURSE NO LIVE AGENTS NO HELP NO HOPE NO CHANCE . 

The last 11 years I have been selling USD was VIGOROUSLY ENCOURAGED as paypal ripped everyone off on the currency exchange ( they still do), yet as the companies "split" you pull a 100% about face as you are no longer sharing profit in this larceny. SELLERS ARE TREATED WITH ABSOLUTE CONTEMPT AS THIS IS THE PROFIT MODEL!!!  All customer surveys and forums have only one objective, to dig up new ideas on how to automate, and increase profit margins. Ebay sets the global standard in aggressive non service for profit. Thanks for sending me a list of problems that ebay sellers are experiencing and asking which "one" I would like to most see fixed. The plan is to not fix any of these, only make them worse and to create additional ones. As for this decision, I have personally tried on multiple occasions to sell in Canadian dollars to avoid the currency fleece, but found that sales completely tank internationally, and then grudgingly revert back to USD and take the hit. 

YOU HAVE SQUEEZED SO HARD THAT YOU HAVE TAKEN THE LIFE OUT OF US!!!

Message 51 of 1,448
latest reply

Totally Agree.
Message 52 of 1,448
latest reply

Thanks, I'll take a look.

But here's the thing -- if we put the shipping cost in the text of the listing, it is bound to look more expensive (in view of the current exchange rate) than the comparable postage in the US. I suppose a sophisticated buyer will be able to calculate his/her cost in US dollars, but many will just click on the back button.

I know it is more fair to fellow CDN buyers to list in our own currency, but the critical mass is south of the border. And in terms of US citizens becoming more open to international online shopping, I have serious doubts, since apart from some specialty items, I suspect they can source just about anything within their own borders.

Message 53 of 1,448
latest reply

What's it to eBay to decide what is best for its sellers?  If a seller chooses to sell in USD, that's the seller's business. 

I sell in USD.  I may choose to change that in the future.  But I want that to be my choice!

Message 54 of 1,448
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

dimitha wrote:

Worst idea ever!  Most of our clients are in the US, and with the Canadian dollar going up and down everyday it look to the Americans

as if we keep changing our mind...

Hi dimitha.

Actually this is one of the reasons why listing in CAD is advantageous.

When you list an item in CAD, you don't need to adjust your prices for fluctuations in the exchange rate. Just set the price in your currency and eBay adjusts the prices for buyers according to the exchange rate.

Here's a page that shows an example of how this can work for you.  

Message 55 of 1,448
latest reply

The canadians who list in canadian dollars have better selling rates yes/maybe  but they make less money because the u.s.a dollar is 30% more, I guess ebay canada didn't know this,i don't see many positive remarks for your decision which is a poor one.What a silly person who runs this!

Message 56 of 1,448
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@anahita_jewelry wrote:
You are making a big mistake with this. We will gain a few more Canadian customers but we will lose almost all our Americans ones (which is the majority of our sales). Americans don't like buying in currency other than US.
***Please give us clear instructions on how to transfer our stores / items to eBay.com and provide specific details on exactly how a transfer will impact us.

Our data shows us that in our marketplace, Americans no longer mind buying in currency other than US. If this were not true, Canadian sellers who list in USD would have stronger sales performance than sellers who list in CAD. But that's not what we see.

If you think your customers are different in this regard, by all means continue to list in USD on eBay.com.

Message 57 of 1,448
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@chillerchannel wrote:

The canadians who list in canadian dollars have better selling rates yes/maybe  but they make less money because the u.s.a dollar is 30% more, I guess ebay canada didn't know this,i don't see many positive remarks for your decision which is a poor one.What a silly person who runs this!

Hi chillerchannel.

We factored for currency exchange rates in our analysis very carefully. We're very confident that this is the right decision for our marketplace.

Message 58 of 1,448
latest reply

Greetings eBay .ca:

I can't tell you how annoyed I am with this change in selling only in Canadian $ It has worked great as is so why the change???

The Canadian $ goes up and down so much it makes it very hard price your items.

I may have to look at selling on another site.

Most disappointed.

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

Hello Canadian sellers,

This thread is open for discussion regarding the recent announcement about eBay Canada retiring USD support from its selling flows. Myself and other employees will come visit this thread and do our best to answer any questions on this topic.

Message 59 of 1,448
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ferret-mom wrote:

Thanks, I'll take a look.

But here's the thing -- if we put the shipping cost in the text of the listing, it is bound to look more expensive (in view of the current exchange rate) than the comparable postage in the US. I suppose a sophisticated buyer will be able to calculate his/her cost in US dollars, but many will just click on the back button.

I know it is more fair to fellow CDN buyers to list in our own currency, but the critical mass is south of the border. And in terms of US citizens becoming more open to international online shopping, I have serious doubts, since apart from some specialty items, I suspect they can source just about anything within their own borders.

I don't recommend putting shipping in the text of your listing. Use eBay's structured shipping tools to specify your shipping and your US buyers will see the charges in USD, UK buyers will see charges in pounds sterling, EU buyers will see charges in Euros, Australians in AUD, etc.

Message 60 of 1,448
latest reply