Retirement of USD from eBay.ca Selling Flows

Hello Canadian sellers,

This thread is open for discussion regarding the recent announcement about eBay Canada retiring USD support from its selling flows. Myself and other employees will come visit this thread and do our best to answer any questions on this topic.

Message 1 of 1,448
latest reply
1,447 REPLIES 1,447

Bill **bleep**!!! What about our right to choose???
Message 81 of 1,448
latest reply

I list in both and it matters. Secondly I like the ability to sell in both currencies because I also buy in both currencies. In this stupid scenario and if I want to continue to operate in two currencies, I'm left with the following options. Either I list on .ca and only deal in CDN funds and loose money on two way conversions. List on .com and loose the ability of PayPal shipping/labeling AND also loose on conversions. Use two separate IDS which will now require a buildup of an account with feedback that took 10 years to acquire and the management of two separate accounts and payment for TWO premium stores. Not to mention selling tools that have a completely different interface. The whole thing is ridiculous.
Message 82 of 1,448
latest reply

With this **bleep** you are imposing our USA client a currency exchange to buy from us?
Message 83 of 1,448
latest reply

I know what I will be doing....

If I HAVE TOO list on the Canadian site in CDN dollars, I will increase all my prices by 25%-35%.

Then I will put a Best Offer option on every item.

I will also reduce my monthly listing load from 1200+ listings down to 500-600 listings.

I will put FREE Shipping on everything.

And, after 6 months of selling like that I will then decide what I will do next.

OpenBazaar maybe, more young forward thinking Bitcoin too!

Message 84 of 1,448
latest reply

With all the surveys etc that they send to people who contacted eBay how hard would it have been to send out a mass poll?  Not hard.

I've been selling on eBay a long time.  I've rolled with the changes.  Not sure I can "roll" with this one for long.

Converting the prices that I would normally use all the time to list, re-list etc is going to be a pain in the behind

eBay wants to keep the site going?  They need to stop these useless changes.  Change the things that matter.  Enforce things that matter.

eBay has become so anti seller.  What's going to happen when you drive away everyone but the mass sellers from China.  It's the small sellers, the unique sellers that made this site.  It is what could keep this site great.  

eBay doesn't want to hear it.

Sad eBay, really sad.

~~~onewitchlady~~~~
Message 85 of 1,448
latest reply

I prefer listing in US dollars since 99.5% of my sales are to the USA. Why not leave it as is?

Sellers can perfectly choose on their own.

Message 86 of 1,448
latest reply

Just wondering if sellers in China will now have to list items in yuan? 

Most Chinese sellers are listing on dotCOM, just as many Canadian sellers do.

I've also run across Chinese sellers whose listings are on dotcodotUK as well as various European sites. And many scammy Chinese actually hide on eBay Australia.

Canada has been the only site where sellers had a choice of currencies.

The advantage of selling on eBayCanada is using Calculated Shipping. If you can ship with LetterPost/LightPacket you can list on dotCOM using Fixed Price shipping.

Message 87 of 1,448
latest reply

Over the previous year, listing is US currency has provided 22% more sales for me.

Message 88 of 1,448
latest reply

Well that is totally useless having Usps for Canadian sellers.
Get a brain..
Message 89 of 1,448
latest reply

I obviously cannot speak for very many Canadian sellers but this is a good move on eBay's part for me.  I list in CDN funds and since the exchange rate increased,  my USA sales have only gone up...up.  My $5.00 price tag CDN is now seen as a heck of a deal across the border at $3.00 USD....(eBay.com buyers will see the $3.00 USD in the listing, not the $5.00 CDN).   I get my 5 bucks still but from more buyers now.   I still have to deal with the **bleep**py eBay.com cart issues accepting multiple eBay.ca items though.

I also get billed in CDN funds from eBay and PayPal....which is excellent because I get billed eg. $100.00 CDN where if I listed in USD, I would get dinged $100.00 USD..about 25% more for the same price lisings. 

Message 90 of 1,448
latest reply

I was one of the sellers contacted to be on the seller panel so its not total BS that they left us out of the loop in the decision process.  This change will affect me due to the time it takes to edit, but if it helps us in Canada get things like Seller Hub, promotional sales like buy 2 get 1 free, shopping carts, etc than I am all for the change happening. 

The current rate of exchange is 1.30 so once the tool is released all I am going to have to do is bulk edit 500 listings at a time and raise the price by 30%. 

When we shop on the US site it shows $10 US and right under that it says $13 Canadian.  The same will be when a US seller views our listing.  I dont think anyone will have a problem needing to convert funds, its automatic and it will show right on the screen how much they will actually be paying in US$ funds.

As a bonus for doing the editing, we get an extra 20% of our fees back.  If you are Top Rated Seller, thats 40% off for the next 2 months.  That is a huge amount for me and worth the time to edit in my opinion.

Message 91 of 1,448
latest reply

I agree, Terrible Decision for us as Sellers.   This will make a ton of work for us and have a negative effect on our overall business. 

Message 92 of 1,448
latest reply

I have been selling on ebay for more than 10 years. Over the last few years I have been disappointed with the service and changes that have occurred. I sell to a lot of USA buyers and the shopping cart does not work for them. Putting me in a disadvantaged position. Software changes are prematurely installed with negative impact to Canadian sellers. It appears to me that ebay is regressing rather than expanding function and flexibility for sellers.

Case in pint is the new metrics package for sellers. I don't need it. Just tell me (like you used to do) what traffic I had on my listings and I can do the rest.  But sadly that FREE service is gone and you want me to PAY for a new application that will

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

Hello Canadian sellers,

This thread is open for discussion regarding the recent announcement about eBay Canada retiring USD support from its selling flows. Myself and other employees will come visit this thread and do our best to answer any questions on this topic.

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

Hello Canadian sellers,

source new items ( that are unfamiliar to me)  ??? HELLO - SELLERS PAY THE FEES .. WE ARE YOUR CUSTOMERS .. Continue on this course and we will find alternate  selling vehicles . I think ebay may have made it's time in the sun and is destined to implode. The tail is wagging the dog ... If I can find a suitable alternative at the same price I will switch ............... Ken

Message 93 of 1,448
latest reply

Ask me if I feel like adding new listings right now?
Message 94 of 1,448
latest reply

I have a question and I do not have any "rant" included!

I do prefer to list in US Dollars and up until 2007 I listed exclusively on .com. I use flat rate generic shipping options, have US based banking arrangements, US mailing address etc.

I have one problem that was the cause of my switch to .ca in 2007. I sell in Media category and the shipping caps are incompatible with foreign sellers listing on .com

Obviously this decision to eliminate dual currencies on .ca is set in stone. I understand the rationale, it does make sense. If not for the shipping cap issue it would be a very simple switch to .com for me.

Any chance Canadian sellers could be exempt from the shipping cap requirement in the few categories it affects? Unlike domestic US sellers the Calculated Shipping workaround does not work for Canadians listing on .com

I'd have to say that since fees on shipping were introduced most of the rationale for shipping caps went away.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 95 of 1,448
latest reply

Agreed . How about getting the shopping cart working for USA buyers to Canadian sellers ? Some of my buyers paid 10 times and I have to refund 9 times 😞
Message 96 of 1,448
latest reply

Unless Ebay is going to enact CAD fees that don't fluctuate with exchange this is of little help. If a someone has hundreds or thousands of listings in US Dollars and pay insertion fees in US Dollars they can properly project their costs. If I list a large number of fixed price listings in Canadian Dollars and their is a big move in exchange as we have seen in the last year, then seller faces a huge task to change pricing in all his listings to keep the margin needed to be profitable. First Ebay eliminates buying from the US with the poorly run international buying program and now this.

Message 97 of 1,448
latest reply

Agreed . right on - Guess the little guy ( you and me) are getting squeezed out .
Message 98 of 1,448
latest reply

Who cares. I prefer to list in US$ as I always have. 90% of my business is in the US. Why would I change?
Message 99 of 1,448
latest reply

What not just close down Ebay.ca and have all Canadian list on Ebay.com, only a very small percentage will stay and list in CAD

Message 100 of 1,448
latest reply