Retirement of USD from eBay.ca Selling Flows

Hello Canadian sellers,

This thread is open for discussion regarding the recent announcement about eBay Canada retiring USD support from its selling flows. Myself and other employees will come visit this thread and do our best to answer any questions on this topic.

Message 1 of 1,448
latest reply
1,447 REPLIES 1,447

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!

We can't guarantee it will work for everyone, but I encourage folks to give it a shot.

Message 141 of 1,448
latest reply

@sirspinalot wrote:

So, what "new features and improvements" are being considered once this comes into affect?

Likely anything that involves the shopping cart and any calculations involving the totals (discounts etc). As ebay doesn't support true multicurrency, the split CAD/USD nature of ebay.ca listings was probably a wrench in the wheels of progress.

Message 142 of 1,448
latest reply

So about grandfathering.

Over my several accounts I have a few thousand items, listed in USD  as Fixed Price/Good Til Cancelled.

Come June 1, will these continue on eBayCANADA in USD?

The basic problem here for me is not so much the currency as the time it would take to correct the pricing should the FP/GTC items be ended.

Also I am concerned that some of the older listings have older scans that may not meet current standards.

I want to be out in the garden all summer, not hunched over a hot scanner.

The UPC codes are already a pain in the button, especially for us collectibles sellers whose products do not have UPC numbers.

Message 143 of 1,448
latest reply

If more and more Canadians list on .com, which may be what Ebay wants, looking through all their BS based on nothing, just maybe in the futue, Ebay.ca will be shut down so ebay does not have to deal with ca any longer.

We are a grain of sand in a landfill as far as Ebay is concerned, and if things continue, there will be no need for .ca or it's staff in Canada.

I list on both .ca in Can dollars and .com in US dollars and what kills Canadians is the Canada Post cost of shipping, the high tracking costs and the fact the Ebay rips us off on the high shipping costs to line their pockets.

That % on the high shipping costs makes us even less competitive and now this change just compounds it even more. And don't forget, we will also be charged cross border fees as well from US buyers if our Paypal account is in Canada.

If Ebay would spend as much time and money fixing issues that they deny exist, as they spend on all these ridiculous changes which will cause more problems and bugs, Ebay may survive. Sticking their heads in the sand and having idiots make all kinds of changes without thinking them through is doing nothing for sellers, buyers, and in the long run Ebay itself.

I have been here for 16 years and all I see is more ridiculous changes that benefit nobody in the long run.

And for Raphael, read the US boards about all the sold and closed listings being relisted since you did not believe me. My question is, what will Ebay do about this issue or just nothing as usual.

We are told discussions are to help explain things but all I read is this is how it is, take it or get lost!

Message 144 of 1,448
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

The rationale on that change was to curb excessive shipping and remove a barrier to free shipping adoption. It was massively successful in that regard.

But this thread is about USD retirement. 🙂

Message 145 of 1,448
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

The rationale on that change was to curb excessive shipping and remove a barrier to free shipping adoption. It was massively successful in that regard.

But this thread is about USD retirement. 🙂

Do you know what continues to be a substantial barrier to free shipping adoption?

Spoiler
The actual cost of shipping. Smiley Surprised
Message 146 of 1,448
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@rolandticktock wrote:
Wow. Another horrible decision by eBay to make it harder and harder to make money here and get product to people who are looking for what I have to offer. Most of my sales are into the USA or Europe, and because the US dollar is used for most if not all import and export trade in Canada it seems to be the most logical and convenient currency to do business. As mentioned by another seller, American buyers may be wary or unwilling to pay for an item having to convert their dollars into a foreign currency, which will spiral all US sales into oblivion.

Ebay, your fees and policies make it almost impossible to do business with you as it is, you do realize that 0 sales means zero fees taken by you from us sellers right? Are you allowing us Canadians to list and do all of our business on ebay.com? Because that is what we will have to do to continue to do business on your site, which will make ebay.ca redundant and a ghostsite.
This latest ram it down our neck decision by ebay makes me hope and pray someone creates a decent competitive site so we sellers can migrate away from the horrible way ebay decides to do business. A site where feedback is real and sellers can flag horrible buyers, not one sided against sellers as ebay has it now, a site where you keep most of what you make, a site where you can list in any currency and anyone in any country can see your item if you ship to that country. Wow, wouldn't that be great? How about it tech savy friends, it's about time ebay had some real competition.

Sorry you are so upset. We really wouldn't do this if we thought CAD wasn't a better choice for the vast majority of our sellers to be successful. It seems counterintuitive but our data is really, really clear.

Message 147 of 1,448
latest reply

• Are you making this change because of the current Canadian-to-US dollar exchange rate?

No. We’re making this change for the long term. Removing US dollar (USD) listings is a response to the changing eCommerce landscape in Canada and the US: eCommerce is now a significant part of Canadian retail, while US buyers are now used to seeing and buying foreign inventory online. This change allows us to simplify our selling platform and will ensure that we're better able to launch new or improved selling features on eBay.ca. While the current, weaker Canadian dollar (CAD) creates an advantage for Canadian sellers, we're making this change to ensure that Canadian sellers can be more successful—both now and in the long term.

• So my question is this: Why now? Why wasn't this done when the Canadian dollar was worth more then the American dollar? This was only a few years ago, I remember very well that the Canadian dollar was worth  more then the American dollar, so I placed the listings in Canadian dollars. I mean if  Ebay imposed this new rule back then, I couldn't see any Canadian EBayers complaining about this new rule. 

Message 148 of 1,448
latest reply

You keep saying the same think over and over

I think they are rolling out the tool in May but could be wrong
Message 149 of 1,448
latest reply

So why do you think that Canadian Ebayers are unhappy with this? Would it have been possible to send sellers in Canada that post the listings in Canadian funds a survey asking if they had better results? Then if you are 100% positive that sales are better, our Ebay peers would have been able to tell us this in there words, thus making an easier selling point for Ebay.

Message 150 of 1,448
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@anahita_jewelry wrote:
People, there is no sense venting and arguing with these people if their minds are made up. The fact is, they can't force this update on us; all we have to do to avoid this nightmare is move from .ca to .com. They will realize they made a big mistake when there is nothing left for sale on eBay.ca except the items sold by their "focus group members". So, let's just all abandon the .ca ship and discuss the technical details of exactly how we move our stores/current listings to eBay.com. I looked over the FAQ and didn't see instructions on how to do this, and eBay employee guy here hasn't answered this question yet. Anybody know?

Thanks for your post. I understand the need for folks to vent.

We are completely fine with it if you decide to list on eBay.com. Many Canadian sellers have always done so. Internally, we have no horse in the race on that - we're happy if you stay on eBay, period. We get "credit" for what eBay buyers and sellers do no matter which site they decide to use. That being the case, the only reason we are recommending Canadian dollars is because we really think it is a now a better choice for the majority of Canadian sellers.

Message 151 of 1,448
latest reply

If by 'think' you mean 'thing' then, yes, you're correct. I am saying the same thing over and over again. This is largely because it seems as if most of the negative reaction could be counterbalanced by the GIVE-ME-USD-OR-ELSE sellers taking the time to read, think, and try to understand what is happening here. Instead of merely yelling. 

Message 152 of 1,448
latest reply

Maybe they already know we are all going to move to ebay.com...Maybe that's EXACTLY what they want, and perhaps that is the goal of this update.  Think about it, it makes sense: We will make more money on eBay.com & selling in US currency, and so will ebay.  Maybe ebay.ca doesn't generate enough profit for Ebay to justify continuing its existence/operation, and they want to shut it down altogether.  They realized that we all list US currency so they don't see the point of even having ebay.ca.  So, instead of making a bold & sudden move to completely wipe out ebay.ca on the spot, they transition us away from it "smoothly" under nonsense pretences. Now this explanation makes some sense to me...

Message 153 of 1,448
latest reply

4 sure am on page 7 and have only found 2 positives
Message 154 of 1,448
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@anahita_jewelry wrote:
People, there is no sense venting and arguing with these people if their minds are made up. The fact is, they can't force this update on us; all we have to do to avoid this nightmare is move from .ca to .com. They will realize they made a big mistake when there is nothing left for sale on eBay.ca except the items sold by their "focus group members". So, let's just all abandon the .ca ship and discuss the technical details of exactly how we move our stores/current listings to eBay.com. I looked over the FAQ and didn't see instructions on how to do this, and eBay employee guy here hasn't answered this question yet. Anybody know?

Nearly forgot to answer the important part.

There's no need to change anything to do with your store, it works on both eBay.ca and eBay.com.

In May, the lookup tool we currently have available at https://ebay.promotionexpert.com/migrationtool will be upgraded to include functionality to help you, whether you prefer to convert all your prices to CAD in bulk, or remap your shipping and list on eBay.com.

There's some information to help you on this page. - http://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/list-in-cad/migration-tool-usd-listings.html

Message 155 of 1,448
latest reply

Thank You 🙂

Message 156 of 1,448
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@maritimemedals wrote:

I have been selling on ebay.ca for the last few years, the items that I sell are valued on the open market in US dollars only hence if I am forced to list in Canadian dollars a considerable percentage of my market has disappeared, it is forcing  me to reconsider my business strategy.  Why change something that works, it is very inconsiderate and stupid, it will cost me money and in return ebay money through lost sales

I understand your perspective. It's why I for one was almost certain our study would show that Canadians listing in USD would be more successful. In fact I was one of the people who pushed back and insisted on recounts and additional analyses before I had to admit that what we were seeing really was an advantage for CAD.

So then you look at the buyer experience wondering how this can be. It's from the evolution of ecommerce and our marketplace, eBay's global marketplace platform makes it seamless to buy items listed in foreign currencies. Buyers don't need to figure out how much to pay in their own currency because they see the amount in their own currency,

Message 157 of 1,448
latest reply

Will ebayers in the USA be notified via emails/notifications about this change? Like many of the posters here, 99.99% of my sales are in the USA. A bit of education in the buying process of purchasing in Canadian funds would be helpful. Regardless of what the numbers apparently state, I do not believe the majority of Americans are confident in making purchases in any other funds but the USD for lack of education. Lorraine
Message 158 of 1,448
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@this-that-whatever wrote:

More rights taken away from sellers. Nothing new..

I thought it was our human right to list in whatever currency we preferred.

The only reason we list on ca is for the shipping calculator.

Canada Post options are not offered on .com.

Other sites are definitely looking better.

Pretty sure that one isn't in the encoded in the Canadian Charter of Rights just yet. 😉 But seriously, I'm sorry you're upset. I hope you stay with us and give CAD a shot.

Message 159 of 1,448
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tch_ca wrote:
Yet another ridiculous idea. But it wouldn't be the first by the corporation as it seems to often operate with limited IQ. Can't wait till someone steps ups to the plate and offers some reasonable competition to Ebay to keep it in check and have it be more considerate towards sellers. Having said that. I'd like to know how Ebay will address store ownership. I pay store fees on Ebay.ca and have the use of the tools that come with it and the ability to list in both currencies. I currently list equally in both currencies since a portion of the US products go into the US and are often US made. I also like to receive US funds since I often also buy goods in US dollars. Does Ebay actually expect me to pay store fees to both sites if I want to continue to deal in both currencies? Now you want to suck the cost of two premium stores out of me so I can receive funds in multiple currencies??????? AND I have to start a second account with ZERO feedback and build it up again????? AND I have to pay exchange fees converting currencies?????What kind of ludicrous BS is that? Also as mentioned here before, American buyers DO NOT want to convert currencies. Lastly I ship through Paypal Which provides me with CPC labels and discounts. Will I be able to do that through Ebay.com? Will you be including CPC shipping on .com?....Brainless....

Sorry you're so upset.

Your store fees that you pay on eBay.ca already let you list on eBay.com if you want to. There is no need to create a new subscription or change your existing one.

You don't need to create a new account. You can list on eBay,com using the same eBay account you use to list on eBay.ca today.

I hear you re US buyers - it's what we always heard and believed, but the data is pretty clear. CAD sellers have been outperforming USD sellers, and they aren't just doing it with higher domestic Canadian sales.

You can print labels on your .com-listed items from My eBay on eBay.ca.

We will not be providing Canadian shipping on eBay.com. Our advice to most sellers is to stay on eBay.ca, use eBay.ca's branded shipping services from Canada Post, FedEx or UPS, and list in CAD. But there's nothing wrong with listing on eBay.com if that's what you prefer to do.

Message 160 of 1,448
latest reply