http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/sellinglimits.html

Message 2 of 28
latest reply

why eBay apply limits to many sellers??

big brother is always watching 

Message 3 of 28
latest reply

I do not think it has anything to do with "watching".  It is all about protection.

Most of us oldtimers remember the "bad old days" (prior to listing limit) when a new seller would come here, list hundreds of items, sell them and run with the money.

Limits give a chance to new sellers to learn the system gradually: that is not a bad thing.

Message 4 of 28
latest reply

He probably works for Ebay as a dog watcher.

This site really sucks for new Sellers. In my short period of selling a few non profitable items, I must have dealt with the most difficult Buyers and there's nothing we can do about it. This Only positive feedback for Buyers will be Ebay's downfall, it only encourages & rewards the delinquent buyers. I did fortunately deal with excellent ones but the ratio is pretty much 60 % decent, 10% polite, thoughtful and serious, 20% mixed up and the last 10% Unhinged.

And How many phone calls I had to make because the site is not user friendly. The CS people are for the most part decent, well-mannered and understanding, considering they are dealing with many complaints all day long. On top of that I'm convinced they're a paid a pittance, I really feel for them, they're the ones that keep things running and inform customers to the best of their knowledge.

Message 5 of 28
latest reply

being stuck in the limits for 2 months now , for video games it's terrible it's 4 games a month, i'm frustrated but at the same time I understand why eBay does it.. To save there ass and make people work and show their dedicated to selling.. I also see it as eBay's test run on people befour giving them "complete freedom"..

Message 6 of 28
latest reply

Dolls are, for some reason, one of the more 'fraught' categories.

Your high level of problem customers made me take a look at your listings.

Could I suggest that you could use Immediate Payment Required  if you moved your listings of scarce vintage doll clothing to Fixed Price listings rather than auction? One advantage is that your shipping price will no longer be higher than your asking price, which is a turnoff for a lot of buyers.

You could even move to Free Shipping, including the cost of Domestic Letter/Light Packet postage in your asking price. Buyers looooove Free Shipping, even though most really do understand that there is a shipping cost in the price.

And I wonder why you do not have the words 'doll clothes' in your titles. Has this never caused confusion? Some buyers never read the description and some might even mistake Barbie for a mannequin.

If the average IQ is 100, half the population is below that.

I sell dress patterns. I don't sew. I've had a potential customer ask if I supplied the material for a garment, or if she could, and how long it took me to sew and ship. The pattern was pictured, and described and in the dress pattern category. Sigh. But she stands out because over 95% of my sales go smoothly . (I sell books, postage and postcards.)

Message 7 of 28
latest reply

From the way they led me to understand the limit on new sellers, (I've been selling on eBay for 15 years) it's to protect new sellers from spending too much money on listing fees.

I can see that, since my sales truly are close to 1% if not lower, across all 4 of my sites.

They interviewed me each time I asked for a raise in my limit on my Dolly up your Dolly site, they want to make sure I'm not going to get in over my head. 

I only list during the listing sales and my free listings per month. We pay enough fees IMHO.

Message 8 of 28
latest reply

I agree re the fees.

im a first timer who just sold my first item, a one off. I made the mistake of not researching enough info on selling and the fees. I read quite a bit but the navigation to find certain info can be quite confusing. Especially when it switches between the full site and the simplified cell version without warning.

finding a comprehensive run down of all the steps between listing and getting paid was impossible to find. Just bits and pieces here and there. So many variables. Thats how I ended up here, which takes a lot of time to sort threw everything but it's a great learning place.

I'm currently trying to find out exactly what to expect now that I've sent the invoice. I've seen a couple diff answers for diff kinds of items. So far if in correct..he pays via PayPal, they/eBay tell me he's paid, I ship n give tracker info, then in 3 days I get the money? I'm still not sure lol I'm still looking. 

But I've gotten aaoff track... Lol

Fees: i had no idea there was a % of the total selling price fee.. let alone that it was so high at 10%. Until I came across it while trying to wade threw the shipping mess. I understand taking a cut but wow that gets high fast. Sure 10% doesn't sound like much to some but my item cost me $300, after comparing competition and what they sold for I marked it at $350 thinking..ok making $50 isn't too bad. Only to find out too late about the fee. Auction closed at $365 so they're taking $37 apparently. So much for my profit 😛 but I should of found that out first, and now I'll know for next time if there is one. 

Also, Yoda, it's interesting that you say, 'a seller comes, sells hundreds of items then takes off with the money' like its a bad thing lol isn't that what ebays for? Selling stuff, making a profit then getting outta dodge? Or keep on selling ofc..just thought that was funny.

Message 9 of 28
latest reply

@wicked-23 wrote:

Also, Yoda, it's interesting that you say, 'a seller comes, sells hundreds of items then takes off with the money' like its a bad thing lol isn't that what ebays for? Selling stuff, making a profit then getting outta dodge? Or keep on selling ofc..just thought that was funny.

Takes off without shipping anything, just disappear having set up the accounts with eBay and PayPal with false information and a throwaway bank account to get the funds. Total scam run in a week or two.

Message 10 of 28
latest reply

When eBay first started to charge FVF on the shipping, I shutdown my shop.

I figured, it was eBay, it's going take them at least a year to get it right.

I came back and sold a set of slightly damaged new cufflinks for $5. when the CAD was par with the USD.

Then I did the math.

Ebay were still charging on the exact shipping, not the lowest domestic rate as they are now.

The links went to England, airmail.

Adding up the $2. cost of the links, the FVF, and Paypal's fee, I would have cleared 20 cents if I had paid a listing fee.

That meant I lost money, if one adds in the hydro, ISP rates, (in my case website fees for hosting my own images)  the depreciation on your camera and PC, packing products and the time it takes to pack and ship (time is money).

If you printed out a shipping label via Paypal add more expenses of hydro, paper and ink.

That is why I never list anything under $8.99. One almost has to double their price to realize a reasonable $5. return for your time and expenses. It's still well under minimum wage if you did the research too.

One has to be able to find a hot product and sell in volume to sell for less or live in China where the dollar is worth 13 cents.

Glad you're finding some answers on the board and welcome to eBay.

Message 11 of 28
latest reply

If you were to sell at a local auction,  the commission could range from 25 to 35 

Making the 10 % look good.

and then at some local auctions, buyers pay a premium of 5  or 10 % on the final price ... and sometimes even higher....and this is on top of the commission the consignor pays.

Message 12 of 28
latest reply

The key to making a profit is in how much one pays for an item... as opposed to the final sale price.

Many look for a ratio of 5 to 7   for final price relative to purchase price... on lower priced items...

and that ratio can be lower  if one is talking about thousands of dollars

A ratio of 10 to 1 and higher will always look good.....unless the cost to sell is very high...

Message 13 of 28
latest reply

When eBay started to charge FVF on shipping,  the percentage FVF on the sold item was reduced.

The end result was that

the total fee for the sale was very close.... after adding FVF to shipping, compared to the FVF on only the sold item ...and 

before FVF was  charged on shipping as well as the sold item

Message 14 of 28
latest reply

cumos55, Zombie topic from Nov 2015

cartoon-zombies-373177-300x300.jpg

Message 15 of 28
latest reply

Cumos, this post has not been replied to since November of last year...

Alex

This is my POSTING id.
Message 16 of 28
latest reply

I am pretty sure that is what poco was saying in his post. 🙂

Message 17 of 28
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I am pretty sure that is what poco was saying in his post. 🙂

I know. I was just making it more clear 😉

Alex

This is my POSTING id.
Message 18 of 28
latest reply

Regarding these zombie threads, how do they get brought again to the forefront? Does someone Mark Them As New and then another member comes along and dutifully answers it? Or is another party searching by tags and finds it? This is the second zombie that I've seen in two days, and maybe that's not unusual, but I've not noticed this before. Not that I mind zombie threads, I think they're kind of interesting in that they tend to be long-standing issues or hot topics..... 

Message 19 of 28
latest reply

Could you give a link to the other zombie thread? I think that members are looking in other member's profiles and find the thread...a little confusing. I found this thread by looking in poco's posts...

Alex

This is my POSTING id.
Message 20 of 28
latest reply